Science Guide Books

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules
Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.
kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Re: Science Guide Books

Post by kitty2 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:29 am

Buy EPH Ultimate Science Guide Book. All my students doing PSLE have at least the EPH Ultimate Science and plus EPH's Sec 1 and Sec 2 science guides for reference because many science experiments can be explained or found in the EPH's Sec 1 and Sec 2 guides, in fact my student's parent was shocked that the question from Maha Bodhi's P5 SA2 on why a thick glass mug will crack when hot water is poured into it and not a thin glass mug, that the exact answer/explanation is in EPH's sec 2 science guide word for word.[/quote]

Thanks for sharing.May i know the name for the Sec1 and 2 guide book?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:80

Post by MMM » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:36 pm

My girl is going to P3 next year. She has enrichment classes for all subjects currently. I intend to let her try science on her own before deciding whether she needs help. Some of the "preworks" we do so far include subscribing to young scientist and sending them for discovery science camp to instil interest in science. Not sure if that helps but I hated scicence so I must make sure they don't. I also start to wonder if science will just be another "english comprehension paper".

Thanks for all the sharing. I also didn't know what assessment books to buy.

On the part on Maha bodhi, my kids are there. Does that mean we need to show them those Sec 1 and 2 notes later on to prepare them???? :!:

tiredmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Science Guide Books

Post by tiredmama » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:10 pm

James Ang wrote:Buy EPH Ultimate Science Guide Book. All my students doing PSLE have at least the EPH Ultimate Science and plus EPH's Sec 1 and Sec 2 science guides for reference because many science experiments can be explained or found in the EPH's Sec 1 and Sec 2 guides, in fact my student's parent was shocked that the question from Maha Bodhi's P5 SA2 on why a thick glass mug will crack when hot water is poured into it and not a thin glass mug, that the exact answer/explanation is in EPH's sec 2 science guide word for word.

Thank u for the valuable sharing

YJL
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by YJL » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:06 pm

What about workbook? Which one will u recommend?

Thanks for sharing :D

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:1

Post by James Ang » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:24 pm

MMM wrote:My girl is going to P3 next year. She has enrichment classes for all subjects currently. I intend to let her try science on her own before deciding whether she needs help. Some of the "preworks" we do so far include subscribing to young scientist and sending them for discovery science camp to instil interest in science. Not sure if that helps but I hated scicence so I must make sure they don't. I also start to wonder if science will just be another "english comprehension paper".

Thanks for all the sharing. I also didn't know what assessment books to buy.

On the part on Maha bodhi, my kids are there. Does that mean we need to show them those Sec 1 and 2 notes later on to prepare them???? :!:

There is no limit in learning science. Some students have high abilities and they read their elder siblings' Pure Science sec textbooks for knowledge and self-exploration. I teach the top student of Mee Toh School last year (PSLE 2008), and the boy Zen told me he read his elder brother and sister's science textbooks. I said "ok, that's fine." He gets A* for science of course. :D

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by James Ang » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:27 pm

YJL wrote:What about workbook? Which one will u recommend?

Thanks for sharing :D

There is a change of syllabus so some of the all time favourites are not available yet, such as the "My Pals Are Here" workbook. Remember to buy the new syllabus assessment books for PSLE Science. CASCO and EPH science assessments are ok. Generally buy only publisher titles, which are updated and new syllabus. I don't trust some tuition centre titles which are sometimes not up-to-date as their strength is in teaching and not publishing. (Imagine a doctor who also produces his own medicine, pills and mixtures.) I usually update my own teaching materials regularly for the new syllabus and use carefully selected assessment books and suitable guides as supplementary materials.

YJL
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by YJL » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:37 am

James Ang wrote:There is a change of syllabus so some of the all time favourites are not available yet, such as the "My Pals Are Here" workbook. Remember to buy the new syllabus assessment books for PSLE Science. CASCO and EPH science assessments are ok. Generally buy only publisher titles, which are updated and new syllabus. I don't trust some tuition centre titles which are sometimes not up-to-date as their strength is in teaching and not publishing. (Imagine a doctor who also produces his own medicine, pills and mixtures.) I usually update my own teaching materials regularly for the new syllabus and use carefully selected assessment books and suitable guides as supplementary materials.

Thanks for sharing JamesAng!

I have EPH Ultimate Science Guide (lower & upper block), thinking of buying the workbook. Is it good to use this workbook to go along with the guide book as revision for PSLE? TIA!

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:22

Post by tutormum » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:40 pm

To prepare a child for science, I would suggest letting him watch science documentary shows which are on National Geographic channel and Discovery channel. If you are not a subscriber, take heart cos there are some good science programs on Octo also. My DS3 watch lots of such shows from preschool. Of course, a trip to places like the bird park, botanic garden or zoo will stir up a child's interest and let him relate better than through tv.
The key is to get the child interested in his natural world before he takes science as a subject in school when he associates it with studying and resents it. :x Make it fun for him and it'll keep him interested. Once interested, you can be assured that your child will do well in science.
I also agree that if your child is ready, he can read secondary textbooks. In fact, I recommend that all my P6 students read secondary 1 and 2 textbooks which have similar topics in more depth. There is no harm for the child to learn more than his level. If your child does well in PSLE, you can be assured that he will have no problem when he is in secondary 1 and 2 since he has read through those textbooks.
I have also complied a comprehensive file which includes notes and mind mapping for easy revision.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Herbie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:14 am

Hi James,

Which are the good Sec 1 and Sec 2 guidebook which are good reading material for P6 kids?

Can advise please?

Tx

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by James Ang » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:31 pm

Herbie wrote:Hi James,

Which are the good Sec 1 and Sec 2 guidebook which are good reading material for P6 kids?

Can advise please?

Tx

Lower sec science guides Vol 1 and 2 by Mabel Cheong, Publisher EPH. These are solely science guides with no assessment worksheets. It is good reading materials for students who are good and interested in science, but also may suit parents who are revising on their science to teach their on children, a reference on top of the usual PSLE Ultimate guides