Poor Lesson Planning from the school

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Poor Lesson Planning from the school

Postby shurley197323 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:53 pm

HI.Parents. Need advice.
I don't know why my kid's school always arrange 2 lessons/program at the same time. My girl has Math Olympiad Traing every Thursday and we had paid for the course. But last thur, my girl missed the lesson bcos she must attend the camp organised by the school. And yesterday (thur), she miss it because she need to attend the house practicse (complusory).
She had to miss 2 lessons in less than 1 months time because of the poor arrangment of the school. (not only her, affected others students too)
Does this happen to your kid's school ? Is this common? Who wil compensate for the "miss" lessons ?

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Go for the paid lessons. If camp or house practice teacher insisted on attendance, tell teacher already paid for olympiad classes, unless that teacher can help you to get a refund othewise your dd has to skip her class. Reasonable request wat :wink:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:03 pm

from experience, it is risky to arrange for outside classes in the afternoon on weekday, esp for higher pri level as there may be some supp class or ad hoc activities

having said that, I would just write a letter of excuse to the school / teacher and that is it
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shurley197323 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:35 pm

This is what upset me. The school said this complusory, that complusory ,they are the one who plan those dates and now they don't bother when I ask them why everything clash?
(The Math Olympiad training organised by the school (PAID), The camp organised by the school too. (PAID)

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:39 pm

shurley197323 wrote:This is what upset me. The school said this complusory, that complusory ,they are the one who plan those dates and now they don't bother when I ask them why everything clash?
(The Math Olympiad training organised by the school (PAID), The camp organised by the school too. (PAID)

oh oh i thought the math is outside one.....the school need to be spanked
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby meinteel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:07 pm

Call up her form teachers and complain. If she says she can't talk, demand to talk to the principal. Usually they will settle it by settling up make up lessons.

I haven heard of schools causing clash in timetables and ask parents to forgo one of the paid lessons. They usually will postpone or change the date and time of one of the lesson.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby shurley197323 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:12 pm

meinteel wrote:Call up her form teachers and complain. If she says she can't talk, demand to talk to the principal. Usually they will settle it by settling up make up lessons.

I haven heard of schools causing clash in timetables and ask parents to forgo one of the paid lessons. They usually will postpone or change the date and time of one of the lesson.

I sent them an email last night,till now no reply. :x

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby znzyzyzx » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Yeah, I think my son's school so far ok, they would have arrange for the Olympiad math to be postponed. After all, it is all for p5 ( same level) so should be quite easy to change/postpone.

znzyzyzx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby shurley197323 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:37 pm

znzyzyzx wrote:Yeah, I think my son's school so far ok, they would have arrange for the Olympiad math to be postponed. After all, it is all for p5 ( same level) so should be quite easy to change/postpone.

Hi.znzyzyzx
You mean your kid's school had postpone the training before ?

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby meinteel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:14 pm

Most schools would postpone the training. Haven't heard of a school that leave parents and students to "choose".

Email are always slow. The School's Technical Assistant would receive the email before sending it to the relevant person - after he finds out. You'll probably receive a reply earliest 2-3days time.

Best time to call, before flag raising. All teachers would be present and there are no classes.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support