"Best practice" on revision/ study time?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

"Best practice" on revision/ study time?

Postby MMM » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:21 am

Dear Parents,

This year I tried to put in place the nightly revision time for my P1 and P2. Depending on what time we reach home after work, the study time should start from 8 and end at 10pm. After which, we try to do a 15-30 mins reading before bedtime. After the CNY "interruptions" where kids get distracted, we managed to get back on schedule. It's my new year resolution and personally, I felt that it took alot of discipline to make it happen and I will try to persevere hoping to see good results from out of this.

So far, observed that this time in the evening is spent on :
* 2 days to complete enrichment classes homework (maths, chinese and english)
* Test the kids on spelling and tingxie for the week every nite. They also have tingxie for their enrichment classes
* Where time allows eg. completed their enrichment classes work I will ask them to do a assessment book (eg. few pages)

I am wondering what other parents do. I feel that that we need to improve our process as I think our current schedule looks very reactive rather than proactive.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Re: "Best practice" on revision/ study time?

Postby sally » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi MMM

I did that to my boy when he is in P1 to P5. But this year very hard to follow the schedule bcos so much homework from the school. Lucky he is a good boy will try to finish it in the afternoon if possible so that we can have our revision.

By doing so for the pass years, it help me to understand my boy strength and weakness.

Keep it up!!! Going to be hard bcos tried after a long day but I personally find worth it.

cheer
sally

sally
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi Sally,

Thanks for the encouragement and sharing. I do hope that this becomes a "routine" that the kids are used to and will be good boy and girl to do it by themselves as they grow older.

But it sure is very challenging. To make an attempt to go home earlier rather than out after work. To spend that time in the evening coaching them rather enjoying yourself watching TV or idling around, etc... On top of that, my job requires occasional travel. Eg. I was away for 1 week plus before CNY and delegate this duty to hubby. I think he didn't do it consistently and when I came back, they were not used to that routine anymore. I really respect those fathers who play such a big role in their kids education and not thinking it's a mother's job. It's always easy for all of us to take it easy.

Also, could you share what are the things that you do for revision? Do you go through what they have learnt during the day or do you simply let them do exercises (assessment books)?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Picolo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi MMM

My ds1 and ds2 are also in P2 and P1. They always play with friends after school so by the time they are back home, it's already almost 7.25 pm. After bathing and eating and chatting at the table (the 2 of them are big chatterboxes when together, so much to share after school) it's already about 8.15 pm. Of course, it is not possible for them to sit down to do homework right after dinner. They will read their favourite books or just play together with my ds3. If they have any homework at all, it usu. starts around 8.45 pm and end in an hour's time usually. If the P2 boy has too much homework, he will con't the next morning.

They do not have any enrichment lessons (EL/CL/M). ds1 has to practise piano for about 20 mins each morning and each nite as he goes thru it like agony. Being in the best class now means that he has lots of homework given by the teacher. Although he can concentrate and finish them, he feels he has much lesser time to do the things he likes to do ie. laze around, speed thru his favourite books, .. I feel that he has lots of excess energy to burn, as almost every nite he wants to go out to cycle and star-gaze, or play badminton. Maybe cos he is not able to play intensive 'catching' which he enjoys most during recesses last year.

At nites when the kids do their homework, I will be by their sides to coach them whenever necessary. It's not easy to divide my time among the 3 kids. Esp. for homework like journal writing and creative writing (both EL and CL), and Chinese dictation, more time is required.

It was a struggle for the children and I last month - the children just started school and fully 'switched-off' during Dec holis. The P2 teacher was so eager to give so much homework that certain nites we can only finish at 11 pm! :( It was a nightmare for me cos I was so tired after coaching.

Now, we are more accustomed to the 'hectic' life (and maybe after many feedbacks from like-minded parents, the teacher has slowed down), but but but, seems nothing compared to your schedule. :shock: I suppose different kids are different, mine definitely cannot sit thru 2 hours of homework. My P1 kid is one of those who believe that hardwork pays :| , so after he finishes his homework or revision, he needs to be rewarded with 20-30 mins on-line computer games. Before he goes to sleep, he will also get his daily dose of bedtime stories from mummy/papa.

Do your kids have any playtime?

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Picolo,

We are rather similar with the kids' age gap and the no. of children. We also have 3. The youngest is in nursery this year. As she is gg to a school near my mum's place, she is actually staying over at my mum's place during the weekdays. That probably helps as it would be even more demanding with her around. But we try to visit her in the evening after work so by the time we reach home, it can get pretty late.

My kids are not the most obedient kids.... We put up a struggle on a daily basis. My P2 girl loves to watch TV esp the Ch 8 7pm and 9pm show so she always negotiate to start only at 8pm sharp. My son on the other don't mind starting right after he showers and is not very stingy on the start time but during the 2 hours, there are cranky moments too that we need to deal with and steer them towards completing their work,etc... it's a constant challenge. I had to reward them eg. last nite I told them that if they complete their stuff, we will walk to the nearby shop for a ice cream treat and they were very motivated to do that.

When my girl was P1 and my son was in K2, my son used to stay over at my mum's place while my girl stays with us. So I would drop by my mum's place very nite to spend time with him and my no.3 and also coach him for his spelling and tingxie and then go home and coach my eldest girl where necessary. It was really tough as 3 of them wants my attention.

I feel guilty all the time that we are neither here nor there and we are not doing enough to guide them. I hold the belief that if we able to spend them to guide them, they would actually go further. Although my girl's P1 results is not bad (they are only stream for chinese and she is in top class) but I feel that we've not done our best. So with 2 kids in primary school, there are economies of scale putting and coaching them together. Also, i feel that if we don't start them young, we will potentially encounter issues later on since they are so used to "idling" all the time. In addition, I don't want to come back home hearing my pils say that the kids are playing all day and never do their work,etc... Also, my kids are not the readers type so I was hoping to encourage that in our daily routine.

In our case, I think it helps that the school's homework is not alot otherwise we won't be able to do that. Both of them including my P2 said that they usually complete their homework in school and so far, it's only maths homework that P2 has to complete at home. They are in a SAP school.

My kids have enrichment lessons on weekends. Chinese, maths on sat and english and piano on sunday. But they enjoy those lessons and do not find it a chore. Not to worry, my kids are not kids who don't get to play. I've asked them to try to practise piano in the am so besides piano practise, it's all their free time. They like to play the computer games,etc... Also for weekends, they only attend the enrichment classes, the rest of the time is free for them to do whatever they want. Play with each other, watch TV or play the computer games, outings,etc...

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Picolo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi MMM,

Interesting to find another mummy with 3 children and similar age gap! My youngest is soon 4 y.o. but has not attended school. Am waiting to put him into the school in a few months' time cos he is disturbing his brothers too much in the morning :D Another similiarity is our kids are attending SAP schools.

I feel that you are already doing your best, so don't feel guilty! If I am in your shoe, my only guilt will probably be depriving the siblings to have time together on weekdays, but I believe this current arrangement is probably best in your current situation and hopefuly, the siblings will just still be close in future.

We have stopped watching TV programmes at home for 1 year, though we still watch DVDs/VCDs sometimes when we are free. It meant to be a 1 week's ban from TV at the beginning of last year but surprisingly none of us missed the TV after the week. Instead, the kids grow to love reading even more. Having 3 boys, the house is usually rowdy but when there is complete silence, you can be sure that each of them is burying his head into the books.

My current struggle is time at nites seems so rubbery... we schedule sleep at 10 pm but the kids only do so around 11 pm. :|

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sally » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi MMM

When he was in the lower Primary, after finishing his school work he will do my assessment books. I will look into his school work if he has problem we will try to solve it together. The only school work he need help in the lower Primary level is his Chinese.

My husband is also same as your whenever I'm busy with my work and ask him to help. He will either play with him or give lots of excuse like he is very good why need revision daily. Can't depend on him :(

Lucky I have a good boy, he is used to the revision schedule. Todate he will call him to ask me what to do if he has spare time, P6 lots of homework.

I believe once the kids is use to the schedule they will not complain. Mum is alway tired after a long day at work but look at their result you will feel it is worth it.

sally

sally
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi Picolo,

That's really a concidence. The kids are very close despite living apart on weekdays. I was contemplating about changing my no. 3's pre-school. She is currently at Kinderland Marine Parade. We shifted to Upper Serangoon area 8 months back so I could potentially shift her to pre-schools near our area but my mum could help me to bring her for the other classes as she is currently attending ballet and chinese on weekdays. We cannot afford to add anymore activities to our weekend schedule. It also helps that my mum is also reading to her chinese books on a daily basis and revising her chinese enrichment class works with her. I hope that her character recognition willl be good in the future.

I strongly believe that kids who love reading are able to do well academically. So just trying to cultivate that. Unfortunately, the doing away with TV part is challenging as my pils love watching TV and it is on all the time as they mtr the shares as well...

Hi Sally,

Thanks. I share the same view as you. If the kids do well, the sacrifice is worthwhile.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby cluelessmom » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:57 pm

MMM wrote:
But it sure is very challenging. To make an attempt to go home earlier rather than out after work. To spend that time in the evening coaching them rather enjoying yourself watching TV or idling around, etc... .

hahaha how true...... tat's my biggest challange, I think my dd wld probably perform even better if I can put in more effort but alas I am jus too lazy..... after a hard day at work I jus wana rest & relax at home wif my favourite TV program and I guess it's hard to expect my dd to be otherwise..... :oops: I salute to all those mommies who juggles work, housework and yet managed to put in so much effort to monitor their kid's school work.... :celebrate:

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Luvkid » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:00 pm

hahaha how true...... tat's my biggest challange, I think my dd wld probably perform even better if I can put in more effort but alas I am jus too lazy..... after a hard day at work I jus wana rest & relax at home wif my favourite TV program and I guess it's hard to expect my dd to be otherwise..... :oops: I salute to all those mommies who juggles work, housework and yet managed to put in so much effort to monitor their kid's school work.... :celebrate:

Hi Cluelessmom,

It was really hard when i first started my 1:1 study with my elder boy when he was in K2 last year. I used to have watching TV programme as a favourite past time. But not now anymore. After dinner, it will be 1 hour study/revision time with my son. Only untill my 2 boys ZZzzzz, i will have my TV time,considering i am still energentic enough :P

Try spending time with yr girl for 1/2 to 1 hour a day doing study/revision, it build bond,so called QUALITY time! :celebrate:

Luvkid
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support