About the STELLAR program

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

About the STELLAR program

Postby KS_me » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:04 am

Hi All,

Is any parent out there went through the STELLAR program with your children?

As this program do not have textbook, I've tried my best to search around for information but no avail.

Your sharing is very much appreciated.

:?:

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:15 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby Guest » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:40 pm

Yes, school is doing STELLAR now.

No textbooks is good news to me cos it lifts some weight from the schoolbag. only a storybook.

In class, they would do alot of reading/discussion and it is based on some story theme and then all the grammar, vocabulary they learn will revolve around that theme, including the spelling list. There is no homework, all work done in school. I find that in this program the teacher has to produce the lesson plan and design the worksheets instead of relying on a text book so it means more involvement by the teachers.

is your child in primary school already? if not they will explain during orientation. Any concerns?
Guest
 

Postby aggellim » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:26 am

Hi All,

Is any parent out there went through the STELLAR program with your children?

As this program do not have textbook, I've tried my best to search around for information but no avail.

Your sharing is very much appreciated


hi ks_me ,

i was told by a teacher of a school during their orientation last yr onwards MOE implement to all schools, some schools already started to test out this year. I've also checked with a friend who is the HOD of English in a sch and she confirmed this also. Which sch your child will be in. Or maybe the school is doing it in parallel. maybe you would want to look at this link, to read about the programme. :love:

http://www.stellarliteracy.sg/cos/o.x?c ... &rid=20699

But this link seems saying that year 2010 then implement. In Phase 1, in 2006, 30 schools were invited to pilot the programme. For phase 2, in 2007, an additional 31 schools were selected and for 2008, another 32 schools have come on board. :celebrate:

hope this helps :P

aggellim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby KS_me » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:31 pm

:D Thank you so much for explaining..

Yes. My son is now in a neighbourhood Pri and we've went thru' the orientation. Principal did explain to us that this school had adopted this program since 2006 but I'm too eager to know about this cause I do not know what or how to revise together with him since there's no textbook to refer to....

Anyway.... thankyou very much for the link.
Last edited by KS_me on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:15 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby titank » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am

How do we know which school have Stellar?

Without textbook means less $$ being spent?

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3978
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:56 am
Total Likes: 4



Postby kelyn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:13 am

For my son school, they already started using STELLAR for few years. I heard that they send their teachers overseas to learn this program.

Since there was no textbook, their teachers created a book, called "
The big book", for the students to study/revise. And, they have a lot of booklet to do in school also.

My son used the booklets to study for his exam last year (P1).

But this year, i have transferred him to another school and his new school does't use STELLAR.

kelyn
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:49 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby KS_me » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:54 pm

kelyn wrote:For my son school, they already started using STELLAR for few years. I heard that they send their teachers overseas to learn this program.

Since there was no textbook, their teachers created a book, called "
The big book", for the students to study/revise. And, they have a lot of booklet to do in school also.

My son used the booklets to study for his exam last year (P1).

But this year, i have transferred him to another school and his new school does't use STELLAR.


Hi Kelyn,
Since you been thru' 2 different system, what's your opinion? Mind to share?

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:15 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby kelyn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi KS_me,

:? I don’t really feel the different yet but I prefer STELLA.

STELLA system encourages students to read story books. And I always see story books in my son school bag last year. Teacher would bring some books to the class for the students to borrow or bring the students to the library.

And this year (in my son new school), he has not even step into his school library yet. Always playing during recess time, no time to go library!!! :x

kelyn
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:49 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby ctct61t » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 am

kelyn wrote:Hi KS_me,

:? I don’t really feel the different yet but I prefer STELLA.

STELLA system encourages students to read story books. And I always see story books in my son school bag last year. Teacher would bring some books to the class for the students to borrow or bring the students to the library.

And this year (in my son new school), he has not even step into his school library yet. Always playing during recess time, no time to go library!!! :x


I think my daughter in under STELLA program, but she did not bring books home, and their teacher did not bring them to the library. School ask parents to get more story books for student reading, i'm being headache about the books.

ctct61t
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:58 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby bebe » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:34 am

ctct61t wrote:
kelyn wrote:Hi KS_me,

:? I don’t really feel the different yet but I prefer STELLA.

STELLA system encourages students to read story books. And I always see story books in my son school bag last year. Teacher would bring some books to the class for the students to borrow or bring the students to the library.

And this year (in my son new school), he has not even step into his school library yet. Always playing during recess time, no time to go library!!! :x


I think my daughter in under STELLA program, but she did not bring books home, and their teacher did not bring them to the library. School ask parents to get more story books for student reading, i'm being headache about the books.


I saw a few books sold in Popular under STELLAR program - but I did not browse through them. My gal's school is using STELLAR program and she will bring her English worksheets home weekly for me to sign. The school also provides a list of recommended story books for us to buy..I also did not really take note as I usu brought the my gals to the library and let them borrow books that they fancy eg Enid Blyton, Usborne series, Doc Suess etc. Recently, the school is asking them to write a simple book review on the books they have read (maybe 5 sentences about the story).

As for Grammar, I noted that they are just like standard grammar taught in every assessment books eg Continuous tense, pronoun, punctuation.

bebe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:43 pm
Total Likes: 1


Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support