About the STELLAR program

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: About the STELLAR program

Postby Champion » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:22 am

charsiu wrote:I am a first time parent and I want to seek advice on English Language in P1. I have seen the word 'STELLAR' in my dd primary school. So I believe the primary school is using STELLAR program. My problem is that I don't know how to help my dd to revise the materials she learned in English lessons. This is because I have no idea what are being taught on a daily basis, even though my dd has 1.5-2 hours English lesson everyday. There is no English textbooks for me to follow. I occasionally (~ once a week) see some worksheets which the teacher always collected back after 1-2 days. I know the teacher is using a 'big book' in the class. Unfortunately, my dd is unable to clearly tell me what she does during the English lessons. As such, I am worry that I am missing something very important. Could other P1 parents please share with me your experience? Thank you very much!

http://www.stellarliteracy.sg/cos/o.x?c ... id=1145439

Hi, you may want to check the above link. Alternately, you can make an appointment to speak with your child's teacher to find out more :smile:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:38 am

ynotrealname wrote:It's actually the Learning Support Program (LSP).

It seems the teacher in the school had assessed my kid by asking my kid to read some sight words. My kid seem to have failed to read a couple of words.

We know she is not any weaker in English

I know many of my kids' friends in kingdergarten were taking P1 prep tuitions. We didn't send my kid for those tuitions - primarily because we didn't want our kid to be pardoned.

You should determine whether your kid really has been assessed on the basis of a few sight words, or whether there are broader concerns. On the face of it, teachers are the professionals, and it pays to listen to what they have to say.

However, if it is the case that your kid has been assessed on the basis of some sight words then this is, in my opinion, a poor method of evaluation. The ability to recognise sight words is primarily an ability to recall from memory and not an ability to comprehend English.

A kid who has been well coached in sight words will easily pass such tests, but this says relatively little about the ability to subsequently read when the language gets more sophisticated. As it happens, there are about one hundred sight words, eg ‘the’ and ‘and’, which occur with such frequency in English that a kid who recognises them will give the appearance of being able to read. However, reading is comprehension, not visual recognition, and involves much, much more than mere sight words recollection.

English is mainly a sound-based alphabetised language. The principal approach into reading for most kids should be phonics, subsequently enhanced by an appreciation of the morphology (or shape) of words (prefixes and suffixes etc).

When I see a kid struggling with sight words, I consider whether the kid’s verbal reasoning/listening skills are at variance. If the verbal reasoning and listening skills are reasonably well-developed, then my impression would be that the kid simply has not been tutored in sight words.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:41 am

ynotrealname wrote:I know many of my kids' friends in kingdergarten were taking P1 prep tuitions. We didn't send my kid for those tuitions - primarily because we didn't want our kid to be pardoned.

I am not sure what this mean.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Preved » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:58 am

Hey, guys! I wanted to know if this program still exists and if my son can get applied? Would be really great, thanks.

Regards,
Daniel - expert academic writer; buy college research papers.

Preved
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ruhuasee » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:39 pm

where could i buy stella additional assessment book?

ruhuasee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Previous

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support