About the STELLAR program

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: About the STELLAR program

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:08 pm

I just chanced upon this blog on Stellar English for Grade 1 by a USA teacher and noted that the following lists are more or less the same as what was covered in Primary 1 in my dd's school this year.

Sharing the lists here for interested parents with P1 children in 2015 to get a "sneak preview":

http://www.myteacherpages.com/webpages/ ... es_1-5.cfm
http://www.myteacherpages.com/webpages/ ... /words.cfm

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kychua » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:31 am

Never heard of this stellar program before...seems interesting. Hmm....

kychua
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jetsetter » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:24 pm

kychua wrote:Never heard of this stellar program before...seems interesting. Hmm....

Isn't Stellar used in all primary schools?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:45 pm

jetsetter wrote:
kychua wrote:Never heard of this stellar program before...seems interesting. Hmm....

Yes, Stellar starts in yr 2010 . Thus the 2015 EL PSLE is new syllabus due to this new stellar thingy

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:18 pm

jetsetter wrote:

Stellar is also used in MOE kindergartens and selected preschools. It's called Starlight Literacy programme.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ynotrealname » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:07 pm

My kid has just started her P1. And she is now put in for STELLAR program.

Though I heard about few mentions of word STELLAR during her orientation program, I don't understand much about this. How is STELLAR different from the regular English classes?

What I heard from my kid is that six pupil, including her, are going to a different class room for the STELLAR program. It would be great if someone can help me understand, on what basis, pupil are selected for this program?

We are little concerned if STELLAR is a program for slow learning kids. I don't want my kid to be segmented as a slow learner within two weeks of her P1 course.

ynotrealname
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:30 am

ynotrealname wrote:My kid has just started her P1. And she is now put in for STELLAR program.

Though I heard about few mentions of word STELLAR during her orientation program, I don't understand much about this. How is STELLAR different from the regular English classes?

What I heard from my kid is that six pupil, including her, are going to a different class room for the STELLAR program. It would be great if someone can help me understand, on what basis, pupil are selected for this program?

We are little concerned if STELLAR is a program for slow learning kids. I don't want my kid to be segmented as a slow learner within two weeks of her P1 course.

Isn't everyone on STELLAR by 2015?

http://www.stellarliteracy.sg/cos/o.x?c=/wbn/pagetree&func=view&rid=1143647

If it's only 6 pupils from her class invited to attend STELLAR in another room, it could be LSP? :shrug:

http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2008/01/enhanced-learning-support-prog.php

Was a prelim 'aptitude' test administered in the first few days of school, perhaps in the guise of some "All About Me" type of orientation worksheet to assess your child's writing / spelling skills? Or class quiz? Or reading activity?

You should know how she fared in her EL reading, writing, listening and speaking in K2, as compared to her peers last year.

If it's LSP, students with weaker EL foundation will definitely benefit from it.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby ynotrealname » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:34 pm

I just confirmed that it's not STELLAR. It's actually the Learning Support Program (LSP).

It seems the teacher in the school had assessed my kid by asking my kid to read some sight words. My kid seem to have failed to read a couple of words.

We know she is not any weaker in English

I know many of my kids' friends in kingdergarten were taking P1 prep tuitions. We didn't send my kid for those tuitions - primarily because we didn't want our kid to be pardoned.

Are the primary schools in Singapore expecting a kid to already know what is supposed to be taught in the class?

Schools were streaming the students at P3, and is LSP another kind of discrimination?

ynotrealname
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Joyymum » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:42 pm

ynotrealname wrote:I just confirmed that it's not STELLAR. It's actually the Learning Support Program (LSP).

It seems the teacher in the school had assessed my kid by asking my kid to read some sight words. My kid seem to have failed to read a couple of words.

We know she is not any weaker in English

I know many of my kids' friends in kingdergarten were taking P1 prep tuitions. We didn't send my kid for those tuitions - primarily because we didn't want our kid to be pardoned.

Are the primary schools in Singapore expecting a kid to already know what is supposed to be taught in the class?

Schools were streaming the students at P3, and is LSP another kind of discrimination?

I think You are wrong to think that LSP is to show discrimination among the children. LSP is a form of remedial lesson to help the weaker children whom the teacher feels that he/she needs help either in English or Maths.

During p1/2, those classmates of my child whom attended LSP had shown good progress and some were even rewarded the best progress award by end of p1/2. Be positive :)

Joyymum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby charsiu » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:01 am

I am a first time parent and I want to seek advice on English Language in P1. I have seen the word 'STELLAR' in my dd primary school. So I believe the primary school is using STELLAR program. My problem is that I don't know how to help my dd to revise the materials she learned in English lessons. This is because I have no idea what are being taught on a daily basis, even though my dd has 1.5-2 hours English lesson everyday. There is no English textbooks for me to follow. I occasionally (~ once a week) see some worksheets which the teacher always collected back after 1-2 days. I know the teacher is using a 'big book' in the class. Unfortunately, my dd is unable to clearly tell me what she does during the English lessons. As such, I am worry that I am missing something very important. Could other P1 parents please share with me your experience? Thank you very much!

charsiu
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support