English Assessment Books

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

English Assessment Books

Postby janet88 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Since I've started a thread for Science assessment books and received good tips :wink: I am starting this new thread for English.
Hope the nice & helpful mummies will contribute (I know you ladies will, right ?)

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Janet,
Thank you once again for creating another thread that I can learn and share with other parents :celebrate:

The above 5 books are what my DD1 currently using - she loves to do the "Mastering Cloze" book best and is almost completing the book :dancing:

I have not started her with the "Success in Comprehension" as I know I have to sit with her for at least an hour :wink: But definitely have to find time to do it! Sigh...being a full time working mummy really have to fight with time :cry:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby teh_oh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Child currently doing a past year exam paper a week, supplement (adhoc basis) with

- Compre Skills by Success Publications
- A Guide to English Oral Skills by Raffles Publications
- Quick Reference to Creative Writing by Success Publications (mainly use for reference to creative phrases)

Thinking of getting the Vocab/Grammer Book and Synthesis/Transformation both by Conquer but not sure can finish. How you mummies get your children to finish so many assessment? My child spends about 30min to an hour each (week) day on my work, 3 hrs on Saturday and finish up whatever outstanding (including corrections) on Sunday.

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:32 pm

I have 'Mastering Cloze', success in comprehension, synthesis and transformation (Carolyn).

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:48 am

teh_oh wrote:- Compre Skills by Success Publications
- A Guide to English Oral Skills by Raffles Publications
- Quick Reference to Creative Writing by Success Publications (mainly use for reference to creative phrases)

Thinking of getting the Vocab/Grammer Book and Synthesis/Transformation both by Conquer but not sure can finish. How you mummies get your children to finish so many assessment? My child spends about 30min to an hour each (week) day on my work, 3 hrs on Saturday and finish up whatever outstanding (including corrections) on Sunday.

I bought too many for my P1...we do different subjects everyday. Hand gets itchy when I see new titles in Popular and suitable. Comprehension on Monday followed by Grammar on Tue. I revise with her during school holidays too.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:29 am

teh_oh wrote: How you mummies get your children to finish so many assessment?

Hi,
Agrees that sometimes feel guilty of "over-buying" :slapshead: But i don't insist that my DD must finish ALL the assessment books - she did the assessment books in her own timing. She is in the single session school so after school, she will do her school homework 1st. Then follow by a free playtime with her siblings before she picks up an assessment book to do each day. I don't determine which one she must do; usually she choose herself. She will try to attempt to the questions (usually the MCQ 1st) and leave the diffcult ones for Mummy to help her in the nites :D

Only weekends then I have more times to sit down with her to go through the corrections and explain in depth those "chim" questions :wink: .

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby teh_oh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi Parents,

I intend to buy a Grammar guide book (preferably with exercises). What will you recommend? I see Casco, Marshall Cavendish, Longman, JustEducation, FBP..... don't know what to choose although I have a deep impression of the JustEd's English Power Guide.

Many thanks.

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Champion wrote:
teh_oh wrote: How you mummies get your children to finish so many assessment?

Hi,
Agrees that sometimes feel guilty of "over-buying" :slapshead: But i don't insist that my DD must finish ALL the assessment books - she did the assessment books in her own timing. She is in the single session school so after school, she will do her school homework 1st.

I sit beside her to do few pages everyday.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:41 am

Hi Mummies with kids in P5/6,
I'm curious to know what English assessment book (pref all-in-1) you get to prepare them for Paper 2. Which title is appropriate ? Your advice is appreciated. Thanks.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:08 pm

Riding on this thread, any online resources for PSLE Oral?
Many thanks.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support