Teach Less, Learn More

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Teach Less, Learn More

Postby janet88 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:36 am

Finally a parent has spoken out on the policy of Teach Less, Learn More in schools.

To quote what was mentioned, "It has led to the expectation that pupils supplement their learning after school with their parents or in tuition classes...the tests and exams have not been adapted to reflect MOE's new approach, and pupils are not equipped to answer the questions based on what they learn in school alone."

I certainly agree with this. Science, esp is one subject which students have problems with. The information in the textbook is so pathetic, but yet students are expected to answer tough questions set by the school. How can students possibly prepare for these open-ended questions when they have not been taught in class ?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:00 am

janet_lee88 wrote:Science, esp is one subject which students have problems with. The information in the textbook is so pathetic, but yet students are expected to answer tough questions set by the school. How can students possibly prepare for these open-ended questions when they have not been taught in class ?

I've similar observation & had feedback to dd's Science hod.

The reply is there is only 2 to 2.5 hours of Science period each week....

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cascada » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:19 am

MOE should call the slogan "Teach less, learn more, test even more".

cascada
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:29 am

sleepy wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:Science, esp is one subject which students have problems with. The information in the textbook is so pathetic, but yet students are expected to answer tough questions set by the school. How can students possibly prepare for these open-ended questions when they have not been taught in class ?

I've similar observation & had feedback to dd's Science hod.
The reply is there is only 2 to 2.5 hours of Science period each week....

I've given up hope with my son's Science HOD...hard to get through :stupid: his mentality. Why did MOE create this stupid 'Teach Less, Learn More' ? It just doesn't make sense at all. How can students possibly learn more when less is taught ? :x

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:54 am

It's called Shifting the Burden to Parents and Textbooks Document Less, Exams Demand More.

For more on this see... http://petunialee.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... tbook.html

I commented hopefully to DS that since his teacher hadn't taught a particular math topic yet, and we are 3 weeks before SA1, this would mean that DS would do relatively well since he had already mastered it.

DS scoffed and said "Mom, all my friends have mastered this. They have tuition, and their tutors have taught them already." Looking at the type of questions from past year papers that appear in SA1, it would seem that the school ASSUMES that the children have mastered the topic in all its complexity... even though teachers have had time to only teach the basics.

It's a good thing that we have come to an early realization. I now have resolved to teach forwards by 6 months (instead of 2) in order that DS can have enough practice by the time the topics are tested in all their complexity barely 3 weeks after basics are introduced.

It isn't the fault of the HODs or the teachers. They're very stressed.We need to look beyond the individuals from MOE we interact with and address the system issues. It's the design of the whole teaching support structure that needs to be reviewed.

(1) The textbooks are far simpler than what the exams require.

(2) The exams test skills (math thinking skills, science thinking skills, high level language manipulation skills - oral, compo). Hence students must DO to learn. Yet, teachers talk a lot in class. Teaching methods have not evolved to be compatible with the syllabus' new emphasis on skills. My son's class has done TWO compos in TWO months. How to teach the kids to write at the level required for SA1 when they've only done ONE compo a month? Teacher talk too much. Kids don't practise enough.

Result, they need tutors to mark extra practice compos etc... math practices etc...

(3) You can't do skills practice in big classes of 30. To do proper skills practice, you need 15 maximum. Class sizes have not evolved to be compatible with the syllabus' new emphasis on skills.

Teachers need to work within the teaching support structure. A structure requires coherence to stand strong and be stable. If you change the size of a brick in a brick structure, you need to change other parts of the brick structure so that there will be coherence and the various parts support each other. The syllabus has changed, the rest of the teaching structure has not. Parents need now to pick up the slack.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Chenonceau wrote:It's called Shifting the Burden to Parents and Textbooks Document Less, Exams Demand More.

It isn't the fault of the HODs or the teachers. They're very stressed.We need to look beyond the individuals from MOE we interact with and address the system issues. It's the design of the whole teaching support structure that needs to be reviewed.
Yes, teachers are indeed very stressed...many of them are seeing psychiatrists. MOE definitely needs to review the teaching structure. The burden of passing and doing well in exams has shifted to parents...or else the tutors/enrichment centres if parents can't coach.
Questions found in Science CA/SA questions are never seen/taught but yet students have to know how to answer them.

(2) The exams test skills (math thinking skills, science thinking skills, high level language manipulation skills - oral, compo). Hence students must DO to learn. Yet, teachers talk a lot in class. Teaching methods have not evolved to be compatible with the syllabus' new emphasis on skills. Teacher talk too much. Kids don't practise enough.
Result, they need tutors to mark extra practice compos etc... math practices etc...
Compo writing is a skill. Teachers talk a lot, but they don't know how to teach students to write...and yet parents don't know how to coach.
(3) You can't do skills practice in big classes of 30. To do proper skills practice, you need 15 maximum. Class sizes have not evolved to be compatible with the syllabus' new emphasis on skills.

Teachers need to work within the teaching support structure.
Parents need now to pick up the slack.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:32 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:It's called Shifting the Burden to Parents and Textbooks Document Less, Exams Demand More.

Yes, teachers are indeed very stressed...many of them are seeing psychiatrists. MOE definitely needs to review the teaching structure. The burden of passing and doing well in exams has shifted to parents...or else the tutors/enrichment centres if parents can't coach.
Questions found in Science CA/SA questions are never seen/taught but yet students have to know how to answer them.

(2) The exams test skills (math thinking skills, science thinking skills, high level language manipulation skills - oral, compo). Hence students must DO to learn. Yet, teachers talk a lot in class. Teaching methods have not evolved to be compatible with the syllabus' new emphasis on skills. Teacher talk too much. Kids don't practise enough.
Compo writing is a skill. Teachers talk a lot, but they don't know how to teach students to write...and yet parents don't know how to coach.

Teachers need to work within the teaching support structure.
Parents need now to pick up the slack.

Yup! Agree!!

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Vevey » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:58 pm

It's just the same thing as bite-size assessments instead of exams in lower pri. I had a shock when DS' chinese teacher had "bitten" 7 chapters (including 4 that had been tested in term 1) for a test this week & 10 chapters (including the earlier 7) for a test 4 weeks later. What's the diff between that & SA1? On top of that, still hv to prepare for show & tell & read aloud etc.

Mouths r really HUGE these days. :roll:

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby smurf » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Teach less, learn more? Total Craps.

End up, students go to enrichment centers, tuition,Projects done by parents etc. If parents dun do assignments, then will the effort of the students be awarded??

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:24 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:Compo writing is a skill. Teachers talk a lot, but they don't know how to teach students to write...and yet parents don't know how to coach.

I second that. I asked dd how her English teacher teach creative writing in school. She said teacher gave them a few phrases, asked them to think of more phrases themselves. That's IT :roll:

So now, tearing my hair out trying to coach my dd to write at home.
Her compo results kept deteriorating - from 18/20 beginning of this year to 14/20 now :cry:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support