Chinese Assessment Books

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: Chinese Assessment Books

Postby Imami » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:42 pm

schen wrote:Hi all,
Any recommendation for P4 Chinese assessment book? Thanks in advance and merry Christmas!!

Not really a recommendation, more of a suggestion. You may want to look up 蔡云飞's 每日精练and 华文1000题. This assessment book author was recommended to me a few years back by a mum who had a son going through PSLE then.

I like both the assessment books I have mentioned above. The unfortunate thing is, because my kid is in the new syllabus, the updated versions won't be available in the shops until really late. This only affects the 2008 kids. To get it earlier, one can consider getting it from popular book shop's GO easel portal.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chenlaoshi » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:06 pm

I like this series published by SAP Education. They cover all the 7 types of MCQ questions and are really helping in terms of revision, strengthening understanding and increasing confidence. Many of my students found the 词语解释 and 虚词选择 sections challenging but it's the exposure and learning from experiences/mistakes that strengthen their understanding and application. :)

Saw a couple of days ago that these titles are on 25% discount at Popular. I guess the main reason is because the content only fits for next year's P5 and P6 batches (next year's P4 and below are using 欢乐伙伴 text book syllabus).

ImageImageImage

* Don't just use these as practice books, i.e. simply just attempt the questions only. Revise the meaning of the words/phrases in the questions, practice how to identify keywords to find/check answers and/or apply elimination method to mcq choices.

chenlaoshi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby gafield » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:13 pm

I bought the one for P6 as well. Need DD to score well in MCQs. For 理解 and 便条, only can cross fingers :pray:

gafield
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kchairenn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:38 am

gafield wrote:I bought the one for P6 as well. Need DD to score well in MCQs. For 理解 and 便条, only can cross fingers :pray:

For the 便条, it is not that difficult compared to the English Situational Writing. Just read the question to find the requirement or expectation and copy down the necessary points down. There is no need to include additional information that the question does not need, so it is alright for the answer to be short.

kchairenn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby gafield » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:57 pm

kchairenn wrote:
gafield wrote:I bought the one for P6 as well. Need DD to score well in MCQs. For 理解 and 便条, only can cross fingers :pray:

For the 便条, it is not that difficult compared to the English Situational Writing. Just read the question to find the requirement or expectation and copy down the necessary points down. There is no need to include additional information that the question does not need, so it is alright for the answer to be short.

Looking through DD assessment papers, she wrote all the necessary points. However, it was either 2.5 or 3 out of 4. Her teacher's comment was "sentence structure can be better". Same for her comprehension. Those easier ones where she can find the answer from the text, she usually can do well. It is those "what you think/feel...", "If you are xxx, what will you do?" type questions that she scores badly. On average, out of 7 compre questions, there are 3-4 these type of questions and they are usually 3-4 marks each.

gafield
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Previous

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support