Chinese Comprehension - Lifting from passage?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Chinese Comprehension - Lifting from passage?

Postby vkoh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:45 am

Dear all,
I was surprised to see my son lifted the whole sentence/paragraph for his comprehension answers. My question is are they allowed to lift the entire sentence? Also, will they be penalised? Please advise. Thanks

vkoh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pixiedust » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:51 am

My understanding is for questions "从那里可以看出....." they are allowed to lift.

Hope to hear from other parents on this topic too.

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby qms » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:55 am

For lower primary levels, they are encouraged to lift sentences from the passage. At least this is what my kids' teachers told them.

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby Brenda10 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:06 am

Sometime you have to summary if you come across question like:

小明在求学和读书的道路上遇到了那些困难?

You are unable to copy the whole passage as all these 困难 are flow from the starting until almost the end of the passage.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:09 am

pixiedust wrote:My understanding is for questions "从那里可以看出....." they are allowed to lift.

If this is asked 从那里可以看出...to me, that means the student has to quote the sentence in the passage as the answer.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:18 am

pixiedust wrote:My understanding is for questions "从那里可以看出....." they are allowed to lift.

Correct and put it in " " (quotes)

Postby Champion » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:53 am

Yes, according to my DD1's P3 CL Teacher - she said the kids are taught to get the answer directly from the passage :roll:. Also, for CL Comprehension they can start the answer with," 因为....." but in EL Comprehension, I understand you can't do so as "because" is a conjunction to join two parts together.

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pixiedust » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:09 pm

Summarizing all the above responses :

1) It is acceptable to lift whole sentences for answer.
2) For "从那里可以看出.....", lift the sentences and put in the quotes.
3) Questions such as 小明在求学和读书的道路上遇到了那些困难?
Unable to copy the whole passage as all these 困难 are flow from the starting until almost the end of the passage. Hence, need to summarize.
4) Acceptable to start answer with " 因为....."

I think typically Point 3 are those 4 marks questions.

Regarding Point 4, I am not so sure. I think ds's teachers say still must repeat words from the stem of the question 所以..". Will ask him to re-check.

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby vkoh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:19 pm

pixiedust wrote:Summarizing all the above responses :

1) It is acceptable to lift whole sentences for answer.
2) For "从那里可以看出.....", lift the sentences and put in the quotes.
3) Questions such as 小明在求学和读书的道路上遇到了那些困难?
Unable to copy the whole passage as all these 困难 are flow from the starting until almost the end of the passage. Hence, need to summarize.
4) Acceptable to start answer with " 因为....."

I think typically Point 3 are those 4 marks questions.

Regarding Point 4, I am not so sure. I think ds's teachers say still must repeat words from the stem of the question 所以..". Will ask him to re-check.

thanks all. I popped up this question as my ds got full marks for that question where he lifted the whole sentence.... :?

vkoh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby snowcloud » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi all,

from what I understand, below is the summary:

P1 and P2

1) advise to lift answers for most questions as they are still in the learning stage for tackling different types of questions. With proper guidance, they can slowly do away with the lifting.

2) for question like "从哪里可以看出/知道", the students are expect to start their answers with 从" ....(lift from passage)...."可以看出/知道。(as mentioned by Pixiedust)

P3 onwards

need to know there are 4 main types of questions.

1) straightforward question whereby you can lift answer from the passage.

2) for question like "从哪里可以看出/知道", the students are expect to start their answers with 从"..(lift from passage)..."可以看出/知道。 (as mentioned by Pixiedust)

3) find the answer from the passage and just need to modify abit to suit the question. eg instead of saying "我" , need to change it to "作者" , if we remove a connector from front part of the sentence, then we should modify the other part of a sentence to make the sentence grammatically correct.

4) questions which ask for your own opinion. NO LIFTING. however, students can pick up key word(s) from the passage to help them in their answering.

Pls note from what I understand from my student, her teacher asks her class (P6) to do lifting for their comprehension. I reckon the reason behind it is her class has acheived very low standard in Chinese, the teacher just want them to gain some marks in the comprehension than to lose the marks.

Hope the above is of some help to you.

Snowcloud

snowcloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support