Tutor VisualTextEducation: PSLE Maths and Science

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Tutor VisualTextEducation: PSLE Maths and Science

Postby VisualTextEducation » Thu May 05, 2011 12:09 am

If anyone needs anything or have any questions regarding PSLE maths and science. I would be happy to answer them too. I have resources, notes, papers on science and maths. Just let me know the level and topic and I will send them to you yah. =)

VisualTextEducation
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How To Prepare for PSLE, SA1 Science

Postby lymmlim » Thu May 05, 2011 9:07 am

Hi,

My DS is in P6 this year, I have problem coaching him on Science. He always glance thru the question, esp long question, his answer will sometime deviated or unrelevant.

Need your advise how could I help hime.

Thanks.

lymmlim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby VisualTextEducation » Fri May 06, 2011 1:27 am

Hi Lymmlim,

Is there a particular topic that your son does not understand or have problems comprehending? Or does the problem just lies with the long questions?

If the problem just lie with the long questions, there are several possibilities.

1) English plays a very big part in answering and comprehending these questions. Your son may intuitively knows the answer to the question but have no idea how to express them in words.

2) He has a phobia when encountering such questions. His mentality will change to a point where:' huh. long question ah. sure wrong one la. i definitely don't know how to do' When such mentality exist, he will 'switch off' and deviate from the topics.

If your son is unsure about the topic of the question asked, there are also several possibilities,

1) Naturally, if he does not know the topic well enough, he will not be able to answer it.

2) From the educational point of view. Benjamin Bloom's Taxonomy of Educational objectives state that the lowest level of knowledge is remembering followed by understanding, applying, analysing, evaluating and lastly create. The question that you mentioned above may belong to the applying, analysing or even evaluating. If your son is stuck at remembering or understanding and proper scaffolding is not carried out to help him up the educational objectives, your son will then be faced with a question that is too high for him and he is not prepared.

So which category does he belong to. I may be able to give proper advice from there. =)

VisualTextEducation
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lymmlim » Fri May 06, 2011 8:22 am

VisualTextEducation wrote:Hi Lymmlim,

Is there a particular topic that your son does not understand or have problems comprehending? Or does the problem just lies with the long questions?

If the problem just lie with the long questions, there are several possibilities.

1) English plays a very big part in answering and comprehending these questions. Your son may intuitively knows the answer to the question but have no idea how to express them in words.

2) He has a phobia when encountering such questions. His mentality will change to a point where:' huh. long question ah. sure wrong one la. i definitely don't know how to do' When such mentality exist, he will 'switch off' and deviate from the topics.

If your son is unsure about the topic of the question asked, there are also several possibilities,

1) Naturally, if he does not know the topic well enough, he will not be able to answer it.

2) From the educational point of view. Benjamin Bloom's Taxonomy of Educational objectives state that the lowest level of knowledge is remembering followed by understanding, applying, analysing, evaluating and lastly create. The question that you mentioned above may belong to the applying, analysing or even evaluating. If your son is stuck at remembering or understanding and proper scaffolding is not carried out to help him up the educational objectives, your son will then be faced with a question that is too high for him and he is not prepared.

So which category does he belong to. I may be able to give proper advice from there. =)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

In fact, I believed DS does know the answer, but does not know how to structure it and express himself. That's why he did quite OK in Paper 1 but not in Paper 2. Also, he has difficulty to apply what he had learn. Really not sure whether he is lazy analysing the problem or do not know how.

Would appreciate your advise.

Thanks.

lymmlim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Fri May 06, 2011 8:28 am

lymmlim wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

In fact, I believed DS does know the answer, but does not know how to structure it and express himself. That's why he did quite OK in Paper 1 but not in Paper 2. Also, he has difficulty to apply what he had learn. Really not sure whether he is lazy analysing the problem or do not know how.

Thanks.

I suggest Math Heuristics. They have a very good guide book called LiSC on HOW to answer. They may even run some classes. I browsed the book but din buy. My son has no probs and the books was $40/= :yikes:

Here is the link http://www.scienceheuristics.com.sg/Publications.htm

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lynn2 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:23 am

Hi Chenonceau,

Just would like to find out from you, is this book useful for mcq?thanks

cheers
Lynn2

lymmlim wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks.

I suggest Math Heuristics. They have a very good guide book called LiSC on HOW to answer. They may even run some classes. I browsed the book but din buy. My son has no probs and the books was $40/= :yikes:

Here is the link http://www.scienceheuristics.com.sg/Publications.htm[/quote]

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Fri May 06, 2011 9:25 am

Lynn2... dun look like... I think only OE.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lynn2 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:39 am

Hi Chenonceau,
Thanks for the prompt reply

Cheers
Lynn2

Chenonceau wrote:Lynn2... dun look like... I think only OE.

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Brenda10 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:42 am

Chenonceau wrote:I suggest Math Heuristics. They have a very good guide book called LiSC on HOW to answer. They may even run some classes. I browsed the book but din buy. My son has no probs and the books was $40/= :yikes:

Here is the link http://www.scienceheuristics.com.sg/Publications.htm

Hi Chenonceau

Thank you for sharing. The picture explanation looks interesting.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby VisualTextEducation » Fri May 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Hey Lymmlim,

Actually, Chenonceau's recommendation of that book is pretty appropriate. check out http://www.scienceheuristics.com.sg/Research.htm, their methodology is similiar to what I have just mentioned regarding Benjamin Bloom's taxonomy of educational objectives. In that case, they have incorporated both macro and micro scaffolding to help your child in those long questions.

Thanks Chenonceau for the recommendation. I have found something good too. LOL. Actually I was about to suggest to Lymmlim to give me a call and I will give her a detailed explanation on how to scaffold her son step by step up from understanding to application. But seems like the book is able to do that too!

Hahaha, guess your problem is solved Lymmlim. =)

Cheers

VisualTextEducation
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support