School Homework for Primary Students

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

School Homework for Primary Students

Postby monicayip » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:17 am

Do you think we should check their school homework daily. And if it's incorrect, get them to do corrections immediately.

Or should we just let it go, so that teacher know their weakness and get them to do the corrections in school.

:?

monicayip
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: School Homework for Primary Students

Postby ApronMama » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:08 am

monicayip wrote:Do you think we should check their school homework daily. And if it's incorrect, get them to do corrections immediately.

Or should we just let it go, so that teacher know their weakness and get them to do the corrections in school.

:?

I only check to see if they have done their homework for the day but not the detail of the work they do. However, if the child makes a lot of mistakes in his previous work, that means you need to check more details to see where the problem arises.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tweet » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 am

i usually browse thru my P5 work just to make sure he has finish his school work, until...........i found out that he is marking his maths work in school, from mcq,to short ans to problem sums. He sometimes cant explain the mistakes he made cos teacher just gets one classmate to write his/her correct ans on the board. those that got it wrong just copy the correct ans. Right now, i check his maths question by question.For other subjects just make sure he does the work.

tweet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby amirtha » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:02 am

now my child is in p4 and i feel maths is getting tougher, so we must make them understand step by step. teachers usually dont concentrate on each and every child to see if they have understood or not. so i also think its better to go through all the questions in the homework. when they do the corrections at school they blindly copy the answers.

amirtha
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby monicayip » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:05 am

So that means there is no need to correct their mistakes before
handing up to teacher for marking.

monicayip
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jedamum » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:43 am

monicayip wrote:So that means there is no need to correct their mistakes before
handing up to teacher for marking.

For my P1 kid, most mistakes are due to carelessness.
I'll get him to check his work again, and if he fail to spot the error, too bad.... :P
But for handwriting homework....I'll erase those unacceptable ones and make him rewrite. :x

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Courage » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:11 am

I think it is good to check through their homework but do not tell them the answer. Get them to check through the questions & answers to see if they can spot the mistakes. Some mistakes can be due to carelessness and some due to not understand the questions at all. In this case, as parents will get to know what area of weaknesses and get them to practise more on the area of weaknesses at home. It is importance for them to master the area first before going to the next one. I think we just cannot just depend on the teacher to know their area of weaknesses. Sometimes, the teacher only give them back the whole stack of worksheets days before their exams. It is good to clear their doubts immediately than accumulate it.

Courage
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support