Meet-The-Parents Session

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Meet-The-Parents Session

Postby shaz » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:37 pm

Original Title: Meet-The-Parents Session - P1

Hi, my dd entered P1 this year and till now, there isn't such a session arranged. The other parents from her kindergarten, whose kids are now in diff primary schools have attended or at least have been invited for a Parents-Meet-Teachers session for this term. Is it a norm not to have such sessions? How would we get feedback on how our kids are adapting into their new schools?

Did so much just to get into the school (PV, moved house)...but feeling quite disappointed now. The only notes she comes home with (school made them purchase a diary) is always - "bring money to buy file.", "Bring money to buy this and that."

There isn't even a letter to inform parents of the 1st semester tests dates. As they have been given 'informal' tests regularly, my dd don't even know when the actual tests are

shaz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Meet-The-Parents Session - P1

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:42 pm

shaz wrote:... The only notes she comes home with (school made them purchase a diary) is always - "bring money to buy file.", "Bring money to buy this and that." ...

:lol: That's so funny. Reminds of my own days in school... bring this envelope or booklet of coupons home to get donations for the school... etc.

But I'm surprised that the school didn't inform you of major tests. It's normally standard procedure to do so for all schools. And parents are supposed to sign an acknowledgement slip to be given back to the teachers to confirm that they have been "notified".

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby amylqf » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:16 pm

what school is this?

yes, our school did sent dates on Ting xie, test, spelling,etc.

also get notify on payment for enrichment course, subscribe newspapers, books, etc...

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shaz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:05 am

the dates of tingxie and spelling are stated on the spelling sheets so that is not a problem. But no notification on test dates. My dd came back from school today and told me they were given Maths test today. No idea if it is a CA1 test or an informal test?????

Basically, communications from this school is quite bad. Received a letter last month, informing us we have to purchase a personal oral thermometer for temperature taking. Bought her a new one to bring to school. Few days later dd brought it home. The letter given was meant for P2s. All P1s are given a free thermometer. :x

Does other schools have Meet-The-Parents sessions - esp for P1? How do you get feedback or updates about your kids' performance or other issues?

shaz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:05 am

shaz wrote:How do you get feedback or updates about your kids' performance or other issues?

I communicate with my boy's teachers through email. So far replies are promptly received in 1-2 days (even with the email showing that the teacher's reply was sent at 1am in the morning :shock:).
As with preschools, teachers' commitment make a difference in the overall school experience (for the same school, I did heard of not so favourable comments about other form teacher, so sometimes it's not the school, it's the teacher).

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:34 am

shaz wrote:the dates of tingxie and spelling are stated on the spelling sheets so that is not a problem. But no notification on test dates. My dd came back from school today and told me they were given Maths test today. No idea if it is a CA1 test or an informal test?????

Basically, communications from this school is quite bad. Received a letter last month, informing us we have to purchase a personal oral thermometer for temperature taking. Bought her a new one to bring to school. Few days later dd brought it home. The letter given was meant for P2s. All P1s are given a free thermometer. :x

Does other schools have Meet-The-Parents sessions - esp for P1? How do you get feedback or updates about your kids' performance or other issues?

I believe the tests are notified but the children have to write it down into their diary like our school. The notification is meant for the children, not the parents hence no circular. Does your school have CA1? Usually these regular tests are topical tests and are not included into the exams computation. If you are very concerned, you should really write to the teacher to clarify. Typically in P1, the teacher ratio is 1:30, it will be hard to do formal meet-the-parents-session. But if you write in to make an appointment with the teachers, they can arrange. Also, in our school, no news is good news. If the teacher initiates a session, it will mean the child is coping badly in school. So for me, I rather not hear from the school.. :pray: :lol:

The other thing I do is I have a good network of parents in my kid's class. So if anything my child tells me that I am doubtful I will check with these parents if they have the same understanding. I understand your anxiety in this aspect because being new to the school, the child sometimes may not quite understand all that is going on and in primary school children are left to be fairly independent.

Postby summerlove » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:55 pm

I used to be a school teacher, have resigned since last year.

Different schools have different frequencies and timings of MTP (Meet-the-Parents Session). Some schools hold the first MTP on the first week of Term 1, some hold their first MTP during March holidays.

My suggestion to parents who want to communicate with teachers is to email them directly or call the school office to enquire about school's calender-of-events.

Usually the school diary will have a calendar-of-events, however take note that changes can sometimes occur, and parents & students will be notified through official letters. The problem is, students sometimes can misplace the letters and not passing to their parents; and teachers are not aware this is happening.

Regular communication between parents and teachers is highly encouraged. Pls do not have the mindset that teachers calling means bad news. I, for one example, call parents once in a while to tell them the improvements of their child, as well as update them some school matters.

summerlove
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ellehcim » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:16 pm

mine also do not have any meet-the-parents sessions. Probably scheduled to be end-May period bah. Emailed teacher also didn't receive reply, lucky managed to get her mobile, so any urgent matter will sms her and wait for replies loh. called no answer one, probably the teachers are busy teaching, or other work, not convenient to answer. But writing in the diary does help a bit in the communication.

so far my ds also no formal test for maths or english, only as and when. Got to know when the kid bring back the papers for signature.Only recently there's notice official in their diary for chinese test, that's all. Their CA not inclusive in their final year assessment.

ellehcim
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby porcupine » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:55 pm

does the teacher maintain a class blog?
hmm, my dd had a maths test yesterday too. but it was communicated via the class blogs and they were told to write it in their school diaries which they been given. hmmm.. are our kids in the same school but diff class?

porcupine
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby usaik » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi Shaz,

My son's school teachers do not communicate the dates to the children or the parents for Term 1's "tests". That's because the school has already abolished CA1 a few years back for the lower primary.

However, the school still have some form of assessments during term 1. The assessment include show and tell, spelling and tingxie, and a series of surprise tests. For all the surprise tests, the student will not know the dates of these tests. For my son, even though he is already in P2, he can't really differentiate between tests and exercises during class.

Perhaps your dd's school work in a similar way too.

usaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support