Do you compare your kid's school results with others?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes : 37

Postby Daddy D » Wed May 18, 2011 3:55 pm

One of KSP traits?
Friendly competition?
Or just plain showing off?

人比人气死人.... roughly translates to... "compare till vomit blood"?

:celebrate:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Do you compare your kid's school results with others?

Postby LOLMum » Wed May 18, 2011 4:01 pm

i would put no because i dont said "oh, so and so got this mark, why not you?".

but i do need to know the marks of some kids so that i have an idea how mine are doing overall.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Wed May 18, 2011 4:02 pm

no I don't, I only compare his results with his previous exam in each academic year and set targets accordingly :lol:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowball » Wed May 18, 2011 5:20 pm

i dont compare my kids with the others, cos i think is unhealthly. But i m keen to know others so that i m able to check on my kid's "standard"

snowball
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Daddy D » Wed May 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Haha... I think many parents only want to know other kids' results... but prefer not to tell others their own kid's results... except for some handful of parents who will volunteer to share their own kid's results... esp GOOD results :)
My kid is not old enuff to compare results yet.... :P

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:08 pm

I plot the chart for each subject's marks, for every test, CA, SA, etc from P1 to P6, and pin it up in front of the study desk

it serves as reminder / encouragement / challenge
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Wed May 18, 2011 6:31 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:I plot the chart for each subject's marks, for every test, CA, SA, etc from P1 to P6, and pin it up in front of the study desk

Good idea... :idea:

Do you do the carrot and stick thingy?
Wondering shld I do it next time... but fear that it will be counter-productive.

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby radiantmum » Wed May 18, 2011 6:32 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:I plot the chart for each subject's marks, for every test, CA, SA, etc from P1 to P6, and pin it up in front of the study desk

Wow! Didn't dare to do that 'cos I'm afraid too demoralising for kid as I assume the higher level you go, the lower the marks you will get ? Comparing CA, SA etc within the same year sounds ok. Maybe I am not ambitious enough ... hm....

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tutormum » Wed May 18, 2011 6:37 pm

If it's done tastefully, it's beneficial. If not, it's destructive. So it depends on how you do it. I compare my students' results with their classmates to gauge where they stand. If my students did well and their classmates also did as well or better, there's nothing to celebrate. Similarly, if everybody did badly, it just means that the paper was too tough and I can't fault them. This applies to my own kids. After comparing with my sons' classmates' parents we would encourage and praise each other's children which I think is the most decent thing to do. However, my SILs would compare to show off and make lots of nasty remarks if their children did better. This is what I hate. These type of people I :siam:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Wed May 18, 2011 6:53 pm

When DS comes back with his marks, we normally go thru the paper together and identify where he has "short-change" himself by making careless mistakes or incomplete answers. With this, he will know what is the potential he should be able to achieve for this paper.

I do not compare with other kids individually, but I use the high, low, mean and standard deviation provided by school to show DS where he stands in comparison with his cohort for each individual subjects.

Comparison has no end state - there is always another higher mountain out there. Different kids has different potential - how to compare orange with apple? What is important is the kid has tried his best and not "short-change" himself and his effort.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support