Can one "over prepare" the child?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Can one "over prepare" the child?

Postby SCSS » Sat May 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Dear pp,

I know it might be an unnecessry concern - however, it is a genuine concern.
If a child does well in the 3 subjects, and thus less stimulte in class .... would it pose any potential problem? [well, this can be in the context of child is prep for supposedly "high calibre" school which is expected to know how to spell, read independently etc; but somehow he/she ended up in a so so school.... and everything seems boring....]
how ??

SCSS
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Can one "over prepare" the child?

Postby coast » Sun May 22, 2011 9:05 pm

SCSS wrote:Dear pp,

If a child does well in the 3 subjects, and thus less stimulte in class .... would it pose any potential problem? [well, this can be in the context of child is prep for supposedly "high calibre" school which is expected to know how to spell, read independently etc; but somehow he/she ended up in a so so school.... and everything seems boring....]
how ??

It is certainly a genuine concern. Most parents would want their kids to enjoy schooling :)

Experienced educators would likely have noticed and done something about it. There are various methods to keep kids engaged. What method works depends on the kid (each child is unique) and his age. Examples:

1) Reward (with stickers/ stars/ candies/ prizes) for good results

2) Divide the class into groups … and teachers award points for each group based on their performance/behaviour. Let the high calibre kid be the leader of a group and he will feel engaged by contributing “points” to the group … e.g., teacher asks some questions in class and when a kid answers correctly, his group gets the points.

3) Class monitor/ Little assistant – teacher can assign them simple tasks.

Have a chat with your kid’s teachers. Unless they are new, they would have the experience and might already be trying out methods to keep lessons interesting in class for him (and everyone else). Your feedback will help them to understand your kid better and if their methods are already working. Some schools also “stream” the higher ability into different classes for certain subjects as early as P2.

I am not sure if it is a “standard” but after P2, some schools would “stream” the best kids into best class, 2nd best class, …

There is also GEP (500 plus per cohort?) during P3 to identify the gifted kids.

As a parent, you could support your kid by understanding what motivates him. You could choose challenging questions for each topic so that he can apply the “boring” basics to a higher level and understand that basics are important to tackle the challenging questions. The best part is … he has plenty of time to do things that he likes outside school … sports, music, arts, play, … If he is a happy kid outside school, it is very likely he will be happy in school.

I personally feel that even without streaming, a good teacher should be able to motivate and keep lessons interesting for "high calibre" kids.

Please replace he/him with she/her if your child is a girl.

Hope this helps :)

coast
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Can one "over prepare" the child?

Postby Faun » Sun May 22, 2011 10:56 pm

SCSS wrote:Dear pp,

how ??

Hi SCSS,

Whether your child is over prepared for school, you can tell.

If you child is already doing very well in all the 3 subjects, you are so very blessed. Let her enjoy her 1st 3 years. Let her do non-academic things to stretch her if necessary.

My child did show sign of precocity at a very young age and was doing well in lower primary like yours. I know the normal curriculum was not very exciting for her so we started her on music, art and sports. At lower primary, she had a lot of time. Homework usually finished in the evening and in the morning we go for walks in the park or do craftwork or just play at home. Enjoy your kid now when the workload is still okay. At upper Pri, it's a different ball game. My advise is not to bore her with more of the same academic stuff. There's a lot of value in play for children. Play becomes a luxury at upper primary.

Believe me, your kid only have time with you in Pri Sch. Be present with her now during her childhood years. Have fun with her and do things with her that make beautiful memories that she can think back and smile.

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support