Withholding of marked papers

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Withholding of marked papers

Postby ash2011 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Original Title: Rule no. 1

We just got transferred to this school because we have moved.

Sometimes the way things work at RVPS, puzzles me.

This time I need help from all because it had crossed the 'puzzle' line.

My son brought home his mid-term papers for the parents' signature recently. All subjects were fine except for the English. The teachers return all the papers except the English composition.

He had perfect score for the listening and 4 mistakes for Paper 1. But for his composition he just passed. Out of concern, as English is one of his strong subjects, I asked the teacher for the paper.

The teacher refused to do so and said that this is a school rule! Is this ridiculous or what?

Worst still, he passed on a comment to my son saying that everyone else got no problem except you (my son) and that upset him. He came home and asked us to just sign the paper and do not pursue the matter further.

1) I believe an educator should not pass on comments / remarks of such loosely.

2) I believe it had caused fear and embarrassment to my son that he chose to end the matter than to pursue it.

3) I believe this exercise of getting the parents to sign while we are not allow to check what are we signing, is making us, parents look like a fool!

Lastly, what is the point of organizing PTC... making parents looking more foolish!!

Gee it really puzzles me on how things work here...

ash2011
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Rule no. 1

Postby LKVM » Tue May 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Welcome to KSP

maybe you can talk to the teacher or higher authority if required.

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ash2011 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:32 pm

We are contemplating to do so but not sure how our son will feel about it. Thus, consulting you guys now.

Sometimes we really hope to be the cool parents and adopt the let-them-grow-and-learn attitude but we adults know obviously what is going on.

ash2011
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby snowman.697 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:09 pm

this is not a school rule. this is set by MOE I believe, and most schools can't do anything about it.

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby radiantmum » Tue May 24, 2011 6:25 pm

ash2011, yes, I was informed by my DS school teachers that it's HOD/MOE guideline that they do not return the composition papers to parents. The reason I suspect is they want to avoid overzealous parents "arguing" for 1 or 2 marks which can be subjective.

I had the same initial reaction last year too 'cos all I wanted to see is how DS writes/performs under time pressure for his composition but I can understand the frustrations the schools/teachers must have been through with some of the parents.

After the "guideline" sinks in, I guess it's not too hard to accept though I do think that schools/teachers can help set better expectations & provide better explanations upfront rather than brushing aside and say that "others have no problem" or "it's a policy".

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby BlurBee » Tue May 24, 2011 6:27 pm

:welcome: ash2011.

Didn't know there is this rule. :oops:

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BlurBee » Tue May 24, 2011 6:29 pm

radiantmum wrote:ash2011, yes, I was informed by my DS school teachers that it's HOD/MOE guideline that they do not return the composition papers to parents. The reason I suspect is they want to avoid overzealous parents "arguing" for 1 or 2 marks which can be subjective.

I had the same initial reaction last year too 'cos all I wanted to see is how DS writes/performs under time pressure for his composition but I can understand the frustrations the schools/teachers must have been through with some of the parents.

After the "guideline" sinks in, I guess it's not too hard to accept though I do think that schools/teachers can help set better expectations & provide better explanations upfront rather than brushing aside and say that "others have no problem" or "it's a policy".

:thankyou: for the update.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Tue May 24, 2011 6:33 pm

:welcome:

Actually what you detailed is not unique.

I believe this is one of the things we need to surface to MOE, that schools should not handle parents in high-handed ways. Parents are generally concerned because it is about their children and involved parents are anytime better than hands-off parents. There could have been black sheep parents who have created issues but in general I find schools are not trained to handle issues just AVOID. This thing about partnership with parents is only one-sided, exercised to their advantage. Problem solving is an art, perhaps there should be a credible Chief Problem Solver (CPS) from MOE in each school who has the authority to keep things in check and balance and raise standards in schools. This person will investigate all facts and present to the school principal for a recommendation of solution.

For example, your case:
If a child general performs well except an unusual occurence, this is what a CPS can do without compromising on the school rules if it is to be strictly adhered to.

1. Acknowledge that there could be a possible error and be willing to investigate but be genuine about it. Treat every case as if the child is your own. Explain that while it is not possible to show the paper to the parents, efforts will be made to look into the matter.

2. Then check out the marking of the paper and raise the relevant questions, acting as the concerned parents.

3. As a learning point for the child, the errorneous area should be sufficiently explained to the parents for room for improvement. In the end there is a PSLE to take, the big picture.

4. If it is an honest mistake, be bold to admit it because a child works and studies hard for the exam too, a coverup would be so unfair to the child. It is wrong to assume that a child is troublesome just because they ask about their performance, no child should be denied a proper answer. Respect all children who have to study so hard these days. It is also only fair that if children are doing their part, the adults should do their part in all parts of the whole value chain, from setting to vetting to marking.

5. If we want to be world class education, we need a world class attitude.

Having said this, there are schools who are doing well in this area, perhaps the good practices can be standardised in all schools. Lastly, I often feel that MOE typically does well in this area if the issues are surfaced to them directly, it is usually at the school level that sometimes things break down. I have heard a few cases of PSLE whereby the children requested for review of papers and the requests have been entertained so far.

Postby ksme » Wed May 25, 2011 5:54 pm

Although the compo paper is not returned home in ds' school, teacher offered to show us during the parent teacher meeting if we want. You may want to check with the teacher if she can show you the paper when you go for ptm

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu May 26, 2011 5:37 pm

You can request to see the paper (but not take it home). For schools with extremely strict protocol on this, I understand that some teachers actually will give written comments & extract certain parts to show you the mistakes made.

Do check with the HOD/Principal. You want to see the paper to know what went wrong & improve with your child, not fight for marks (you need to convince them about this).

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support