English and Chinese Composition paper

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

English and Chinese Composition paper

Postby shurley197323 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi,parents. Can I check with you whether do your kid's school give you back the composition paper for review? I don't know why did'nt my kid's school give the paper back so that we can know where the weakness is as to improve better? Do all the primary school practise this?

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: English and Chinese Composition paper

Postby coast » Fri May 27, 2011 6:18 pm

shurley197323 wrote:Hi,parents. Can I check with you whether do your kid's school give you back the composition paper for review? I don't know why did'nt my kid's school give the paper back so that we can know where the weakness is as to improve better? Do all the primary school practise this?

Hi, some parents said it's MOE guideline (please refer link below). But I think you should check with his teacher to understand the reason. Maybe the teacher will let you look at it in school but not bring it home?

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... lit=rule+1

coast
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby PiggyLalala » Fri May 27, 2011 6:26 pm

shurley197323 wrote:Hi,parents. Can I check with you whether do your kid's school give you back the composition paper for review? I don't know why did'nt my kid's school give the paper back so that we can know where the weakness is as to improve better? Do all the primary school practise this?

Not all school practises this. Some schools returned the compo scripts to the pupils.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shurley197323 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:27 pm

I will check with the school and MOE again .Thanks

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pixiedust » Fri May 27, 2011 7:43 pm

shurley197323, our school doesn't return the script *full stop*

doesn't return to the pupils in class.
doesn't show to parents.
doesn't even release the marks breakdown.

I only manage to squeeze a range of marks from the teachers, but I compute the percentage so I more-or-less know.

A few of us have been trying to talk to the school the past 2 years, giving assurance we are not trying to debate on the marking scheme but just want to know how the children performed under exam conditions and consequently their area of weakness for future improvement. So far, no avail.

Some other schools, I hear from friends, started to release breakdown of marks or show scripts with parents with new principal on board so I guess there is no general standard.

My child will be in P6 next year and I don't wish to fight the battle anymore. I will just try to maintain good relationship with the FT and do the best we can.

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Champion » Fri May 27, 2011 9:46 pm

pixiedust wrote:
My child will be in P6 next year and I don't wish to fight the battle anymore. I will just try to maintain good relationship with the FT and do the best we can.

Hi, I share the same thought as pixiedust :hi5:

What I understand from my DD1 EL T is that the teacher does not allow to mark their own class Compo papers and is being done so by another class EL teacher. Thereafter it will be review by the Level Head & EL HOD :smile:

MY DD1's school also does not return the Compo nor allow us to view them during the PTM. But appreciate teacher's comments on her area of weaknesses like grammar, tenses, etc. to be improved.

Above just my own experience with DD1's P3 situation :imcool:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shurley197323 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:55 pm

So,I really don't undestand at all. It's common to make mistakes, but the most importantly is to make corrections, to make thing right. The least the school could do, is to show the kids the paper and make them do corrections in school. My girl's teacher comment that my girl's composition is good and creative and it the best four in class. BUT HE SAY THIS DOES NOT MEAN SHE WILL HAS HIGH MARKS!
Does this makes sense??

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Fri May 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Err...then what does best 4 mean, ask the teacher to define high marks? Where does her class stand among the cohort?

We cannot get scripts back either but the breakdown of content and language marks, the teacher is able to share. Then the rest is all guessing and relying on my child's ability to remember what she wrote.

Postby shurley197323 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:35 am

ksi wrote:Err...then what does best 4 mean, ask the teacher to define high marks? Where does her class stand among the cohort?

We cannot get scripts back either but the breakdown of content and language marks, the teacher is able to share. Then the rest is all guessing and relying on my child's ability to remember what she wrote.

Hi.ksi. My girl's class is the 1st in school. Although the highest mark for her P5 level for English is only 88.5% and she got 85% in total. But the point is the mistakes she made. My hubby said that it was my fault because I kept on complaining to the school and the teachers had intentionly punished my child for it. I had heard before that compostion marks is like a "GREY AREA" this is the section that the teachers can made changes whether to help the child or fail her :stompfeet:

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pixiedust » Sat May 28, 2011 8:50 am

shurley197323 wrote:.. The least the school could do, is to show the kids the paper and make them do corrections in school....

shurley197323, totally agree on the above. What is the purpose of making the children do the compo if the school doesn't even return the scripts to them ? but I've given up trying to convince the school on this.

Regarding your dd's case, if the content is good, is it possible she lost some marks in language area ? I'll try to think nothing like what your dh suspected happened - in any case it won't happen in PSLE.

Btw, congrats on your dd's excellent result.

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support