School text books

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

School text books

Postby SAHM_TAN » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi,

My DD1 will be in primary 1 next yr, is it better to buy books from school bookshop or Popular?

TIA :smile:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10963
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:47 am
Total Likes: 30


Re: School text books

Postby dovetail » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:36 pm

If your school bookstore is called Pacific, then better to get from Popular. My dd school's bookstore used to be Delta and price was okay. Now both my kids school bookstore run by Pacific. I switch to Pouplar, it's cheaper and also can get all the stationary at the same time.

dovetail
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:27 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: School text books

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Yes I agree...I also buy from Popular, member has 10% discount I think.
Guest
 

Re: School text books

Postby BeContented » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:47 pm

ksi wrote:Yes I agree...I also buy from Popular, member has 10% discount I think.


Think for textbooks, only 5% :)

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am
Total Likes: 84


Re: School text books

Postby SAHM_TAN » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:12 pm

Think popular can order online and free delivery?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10963
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:47 am
Total Likes: 30



Re: School text books

Postby BeContented » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:38 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:Think popular can order online and free delivery?


During the year-end, think Popular will have some promotion ... free wrapper, voucher etc. Only good if you are ordering whole lot of it above a certain amout. If I didn't remember wrongly, delivery is chargeable.....I did a quick calculation, think the delivery charge would offset quite a chunk of the savings....not worth. If you have the "Manpower aka hubby" and going for $ savings, better to purchase and carry from outlet, but note......sometimes, out of stock.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am
Total Likes: 84


Re: School text books

Postby SAHM_TAN » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:51 pm

cwc wrote:
SAHM_TAN wrote:Think popular can order online and free delivery?


During the year-end, think Popular will have some promotion ... free wrapper, voucher etc. Only good if you are ordering whole lot of it above a certain amout. If I didn't remember wrongly, delivery is chargeable.....I did a quick calculation, think the delivery charge would offset quite a chunk of the savings....not worth. If you have the "Manpower aka hubby" and going for $ savings, better to purchase and carry from outlet, but note......sometimes, out of stock.


If delivery not free then will have to lug the books home

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10963
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:47 am
Total Likes: 30


Re: School text books

Postby BeContented » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:02 am

SAHM_TAN wrote:
cwc wrote:
SAHM_TAN wrote:Think popular can order online and free delivery?


During the year-end, think Popular will have some promotion ... free wrapper, voucher etc. Only good if you are ordering whole lot of it above a certain amout. If I didn't remember wrongly, delivery is chargeable.....I did a quick calculation, think the delivery charge would offset quite a chunk of the savings....not worth. If you have the "Manpower aka hubby" and going for $ savings, better to purchase and carry from outlet, but note......sometimes, out of stock.


If delivery not free then will have to lug the books home


:oops: paisay, got car so easier....plus I STRONG woman mah, so can carry quite a fair load, so not as bad :wink:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am
Total Likes: 84


Re: School text books

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:08 am

cwc wrote:
SAHM_TAN wrote:
cwc wrote:
During the year-end, think Popular will have some promotion ... free wrapper, voucher etc. Only good if you are ordering whole lot of it above a certain amout. If I didn't remember wrongly, delivery is chargeable.....I did a quick calculation, think the delivery charge would offset quite a chunk of the savings....not worth. If you have the "Manpower aka hubby" and going for $ savings, better to purchase and carry from outlet, but note......sometimes, out of stock.


If delivery not free then will have to lug the books home


:oops: paisay, got car so easier....plus I STRONG woman mah, so can carry quite a fair load, so not as bad :wink:


no worries :smile:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10963
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:47 am
Total Likes: 30


Re: School text books

Postby Peony » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:07 am

Just a tip for first time P1 parents. Double check with teachers (if possible) on the items listed. I find every year, there'll be a couple of items listed but not used at all e.g. extra exercise books, paints and brush sets, etc. And some subject plastic folders can be used beyond P1.. they will continue to be listed from P2 onwards. Hence you don't need to keep buying a new one every year.

Peony
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:46 am
Total Likes: 4


Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support