parent teacher partnership in primary sch

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

parent teacher partnership in primary sch

Postby brownapplesugar » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi all

i just received a notification from dd's school on asking parents to join some networking program to hopefully "strengthen relationship between the teachers and parents".
any of you got similar notifications? i am keen in working with my child's teacher to help her do better but im afraid i might need to commit time if its for extra activities etc... my dd is in pri1 btw.

kindly advise thanks..

brownapplesugar
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: parent teacher partnership in primary sch

Postby tankee » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:18 pm

A Parent Support Group?

quite common in primary schools

tankee
Site Admin

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:12 pm

it aides communication between parents and teachers

parents can share with teachers what make the child tick, and teachers can share with parents what they observe about the child in school - learning ability, interaction with others and with teachers, learning attitude etc etc

all to gain, hardly any loss, the time required is worth it
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:49 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:parents can share with teachers what make the child tick, and teachers can share with parents what they observe about the child in school - learning ability, interaction with others and with teachers, learning attitude etc etc

all to gain, hardly any loss, the time required is worth it

Teachers realized they alone cannot get the children to do well...so school needs to work hand in hand with parents. With more educated parents now, they can help coach their children at home and reinforce what teachers have taught.
Some teachers even email the parents on what is taught in class and the learning attitude of their kids.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nms1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:33 am

I think it varies a lot from school to school. My daughter's school is pretty good at letting us know what is going on; the form teacher & the Chinese teacher have a blog where they update any upcoming tests etc, We also receive a lot of notes on what is going on usually by email & hard copy.

However, I don't feel that there is much real dialogue although whenever I have had a question r.e. her work, I have emailed the school and received a response within 24 hours.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support