P1 doing P2 Assessment

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

P1 doing P2 Assessment

Postby pretty » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi,
I need some advice (let me know if I am in the wrong forum):

Eg: A kid who is 4 years old, by right should be doing those "buy off the shelf" assessment book for N2, I know that there are parents who bought K1 or even K2 assessment book for their 4 years old.

Question:
1. Is this scenario normal (even in different level, like P1 kid doing P2 assessment)?

2. Is this good, healthy to the kid?

3. Should this act be encouraged?

4. Why are parents nowadays sooooo KS?

Thanks.

pretty
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: P1 doing P2 Assessment

Postby sleepy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:52 pm

It's not kiasu. It's parents' role to nurture child accordingly.

If child can easily comprehend higher level work, parents should give child the leeway to progress at his or her own comfortable pace. There's no reason to force a child to stick to a particular level just because he or she is at that age group.

For instance, if a P1 child is rather weak in a particular subject, he or she can do K2 work until foundation become stronger
A K2 child who has solid foundation can jolly well attempt P1 or P2 work.

In school, child isn't allow to skip level or join a younger class. At home, parents can be open minded & flexible. Bring some joy to learning

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pretty » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:02 pm

But if you teach things inadvance, won't the kid find it boring in the class when he is taught what he already knws?

pretty
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sleepy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:53 pm

That's a common perception but hardly a concern.

A child who knows his or her work well is usually more confident & has higher self-esteem. Tend to make friends more easily too if he or she is helpful and willing to share knowledge. Child can focus more on polishing interaction & social skills if academic aspect is a breeze.

However, parents should not hot-house, intentionally push child to pursue higher level work. This would be very stressful to child.
Should only nurture according to child's own comfortable pace.

How old is your child?
Is he bored in class?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby yap_susan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Yes I agree. I home teach my son from nursery to k1. As his interests progress, I progressed with him. when he went k2 in a kindergarten, his academic is smooth and ahead. That leaves him time to make friends and also interact through projects.

yap_susan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby meinteel » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:47 pm

pretty wrote:Hi,

Eg: A kid who is 4 years old, by right should be doing those "buy off the shelf" assessment book for N2, I know that there are parents who bought K1 or even K2 assessment book for their 4 years old.

Question:
1. Is this scenario normal (even in different level, like P1 kid doing P2 assessment)?

Thanks.

Yes it is pretty normal. It all depends on weather the student has the ability to comprehend stuff beyond their level. Personally, I only do it for languages unless their school went ahead. I am tutoring this P4 student whose school has selected him to join in this high achievers program that taught him P5 mathematics after school. Therefore, I had to go through with him during tuition as well.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby yap_susan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:05 pm

I agree with meinteel. Languages it is ok to teach ahead. The foundation must be laid strong then it will be a breeze for the child.

yap_susan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Musings » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:14 pm

pretty wrote:Hi,

Question:

Thanks.

Just to share it depends on the child's ability rather than the age.

My DS is in K2. My DS' chinese is weak. I use nursery, K1 and K2 chinese readers for him. I bought picture books for 0-2 years from Dang Dang so he feels confident reading each of the chinese characters.

He is strong in Maths and has completed 3 digit subtraction in Kumon Subtraction Grade 2 - which I think is about P1/P2 level. I fish out a Kumon Addition book Grade 1 which I stash somewhere and forgot to let him do - and he complain it was too simple. So now I am thinking whether to teach him multiplication and division or word problems ahead of P1.

His reading skills are way ahead but his spelling is way behind. Can't spell on his own "lunch", "circle" although he learned in spelling in school before. So also thinking of finding a way of training his spelling and writing skills.

Musings
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support