IP having talk in Pri School

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

IP having talk in Pri School

Postby sally » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi

NJC was having their admission talk in my son school last Friday. I was very surprise to hear from him that only the top 4 classes of the P6 attended the talk.

Why not all P6 students is given the chance to listen? To me PSLE everyone is equal. What happen if my boy is not in one of the top class why is school also so realistic.

sigh.

sally
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mathsparks » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:09 pm

That seems so unfair. There may be other kids talented in other ways. Perhaps NJC is looking for brains only.

Anyway, have encounter loads of unfair practices in schools. So no surprises there.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby stuipfun69 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:30 pm

So that is means our child must be THE BEST ! :x

stuipfun69
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MdmKS » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:41 pm

I ever browsed at their dsa criteria, they listed down not only sound acamedic record but also someone who can lead ...etc sound like recruiting a CEO of a company :lol: It seems like to make one system a success all you need is to recruit the best candidates.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sally » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:12 pm

Sigh

Worry for my boy. Are they school that giving knowledge or firm looking for staffs.

sally
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby wiimum » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:15 pm

NJC cut off point is 259 for 2008. So they do not expect any Tom, Dick or Harry to apply.

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KSP » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:38 pm

wiimum wrote:NJC cut off point is 259 for 2008. So they do not expect any Tom, Dick or Harry to apply.

I think that's where the 80/20 comes in.

- 80% of the students from 20% of the best classes
- 20% of the best students from 80% of the rest of the classes

They can't forgo the top 80% of the students from the 20% of the best classes bcos they want to capture these students.

They can forgo the 20% of the best students from the rest of the 80% classes bcos if they can attract the above students, all their vacancies will be filled up.

sally wrote:Sigh

Worry for my boy. Are they school that giving knowledge or firm looking for staffs.

They are targeting the right audience.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: IP having talk in Pri School

Postby Vanilla Cake » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:20 pm

sally wrote:NJC was having their admission talk in my son school last Friday. I was very surprise to hear from him that only the top 4 classes of the P6 attended the talk.

Why not all P6 students is given the chance to listen? To me PSLE everyone is equal. What happen if my boy is not in one of the top class why is school also so realistic.

At least, NJC still came to your son's school for admission talk. They didn't come to my school last year when I was in P6.

wiimum wrote:NJC cut off point is 259 for 2008. So they do not expect any Tom, Dick or Harry to apply.

Last year, they took in 150 students for year 1 and about 1/2 already got in via DSA. Remaining vacancy was limited and therefore pushed up the COP.

Vanilla Cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: IP having talk in Pri School

Postby sally » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:31 am

Hwa Chong & Nanyang Girl came to their school for the admission talk yesterday.

Just hope that the rest of the classes have chance to listen too.

My friend told me that her daughter (P6) last year (Top Sch) the sch expect a boy to score 270+ because he is alway top in standard since P1. But when the result released he only score 240++. That is PSLE every student has a fair chance.

What happen if this his school top student is not from the A class, I really hope so. Hope the school get treat all kids equally.

:oops:

sally
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kiasiparent » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:14 pm

It is fair. Your son can still score 280+ in the PSLE and NJC will be more than willing to accept your son in. Your son can however snub NJC now.

kiasiparent
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support