Parents doing projects

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Parents doing projects

Postby nani » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:34 pm

for their children literally, what's your view on this?

And do the teachers actually give high marks for it, knowing jolly well that the child may not actually has the capability to do it by him/herself.

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Parents doing projects

Postby jedamum » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:57 pm

what sorts of projects? i believe you don't mean art and craft projects? my P3 yet to bring any project classwork home.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby nani » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:09 pm

All type of projects, including art & craft, young scientist, social studies, health ed, etc..

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nms1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:48 am

I think that parents who do this are not helping their children at all. Of course the teacher will have to give them a good mark but the teacher will know that they didn't do it themselves and the child won't have any pride in getting a good mark for something he/she didn't do....or at least they shouldn't.

Sometimes we focus too much on the marks and not enough on the learning process. Which is better - they learn a lot and hand in something that is average as opposed to letting someone do it for them, learning nothing and getting an A?

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby peterch » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:51 am

Parents doing projects are not helping but IMHO nothing wrong helping the children doing the projects. :lol:

Meaning, parents guide the children how to make a good projects so as later on they would do good projects without any help from parents. :cool:

But actually how many children have these kind of luxury that parents helping the children to do projects :grphug: . Some parents are just too busy :xedfingers:

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:59 am

If we want inventors, we have better left the children to their own vices on their projects. I am ok with cutting and pasting and helping in the menial tasks which they already know how to do so well if time to attend to those is a constraint.

Postby sall » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:24 am

OK. I confess. I helped my dd do her art hw/project when she's in pri sch. Anyway, she doesn't like art and art is not important, so I did it for her. Then she can use the time to do other hw. The tr didn't know I did it because my art is really bad, looks like it's done by a student. :smile:

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 am

sall wrote:OK. I confess. I helped my dd do her art hw/project when she's in pri sch. Anyway, she doesn't like art and art is not important, so I did it for her. Then she can use the time to do other hw. The tr didn't know I did it because my art is really bad, looks like it's done by a student. :smile:

ha ha ha...I can totally relate to that. Ds1 was in icl, and I helped him with all the drawing (he would have to write out the words and colour by himself). not sure if teacher knew mummy was doing it becos the drawings were (and still are) very kiddy. :wink:

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:05 pm

sometimes, my ds2 helps ds1 do his colouring projects. :evil:

no, in general, i only help in surfing the net (supervision), or going library to borrow related books.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:21 pm

I don't agree with parents helping kids with their projects, especially the more important projects like GEP projects. Parents can guide the children, show them how to find research material, give feedback etc, but no hands-on help. In the long run, it's not good for the child because firstly, he doesn't learn how to do such projects in the future, and there'll be lots more of such projects as they get older. And secondly, what values are we imparting to our children when we teach them that it's okay to claim credit for work which is not done by them.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support