Have u start preparing your kids for SA1?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Have u start preparing your kids for SA1?

Postby bitchymum » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:53 pm

I am in a panic mode cos SA1 is around the corner and after the CA1 mock test (my gal's pri school do no have CA1 this year) I realise my gal is very weak in her math problems and comprehnsion. Now I am trying to revise with her math problems and comprehension. Hopefully practise make perfect and she can improve before SA1 :pray:

Has anyone start revision already? Btw, care to advise how to revise Chinese?

bitchymum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby H2O » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Yes. I have started SA1 revision with my son.

I started to throw SA1 past year to him 2 weeks ago.

Initially, he made quick a lot of mistakes. He failed the papers quite badly.

After 3 papers, he shows improvement and manages to pass the papers.

H2O
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Have u start preparing your kids for SA1?

Postby san76 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:23 pm

bitchymum wrote:I am in a panic mode cos SA1 is around the corner and after the CA1 mock test (my gal's pri school do no have CA1 this year) I realise my gal is very weak in her math problems and comprehnsion. Now I am trying to revise with her math problems and comprehension. Hopefully practise make perfect and she can improve before SA1 :pray:

Care to share which pri level is your gal? Why no CA1? My son is in P1 and he has CA1, I know some sch do not have CA1 or SA1 and CA2, they only test the kids in SA2. Some pri 2 also the same.

Now I am preparing my son for his SA1. I gave him past years teat papers and also by topics for Maths. Chinese, I let the chinese tutor revise and guide him.

san76
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby bitchymum » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:57 am

My gal is in P2 at St Hilda's ....

bitchymum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby san76 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:51 pm

bitchymum wrote:My gal is in P2 at St Hilda's ....

Wow, good sch too.

The school only test and set questions from the textbk. They will twist and turn but still from the text. Ask her to read the text and understand the key words and remember the words that were tested during spelling.

Read more chinese story book with HYPY. Picture description is also tested.

san76
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Preparing for SA1

Postby pranav » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi,

My son gets confused with Maths problems although he knows it well, especially the "more than" or "less than" "fewer than" etc, - anymeans of coaching specially for this alone.

I do practice the old test papers, but still this probelm exist.
How do I make sure he does it correctly.
:?:

pranav
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Preparing for SA1

Postby jedamum » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:14 pm

pranav wrote:especially the "more than" or "less than" "fewer than" etc, - anymeans of coaching specially for this alone.

hi pranav,
EN has offered her method of teaching this type of questions here.
It is really very useful. :)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Have u start preparing your kids for SA1?

Postby yvetan2020 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:50 pm

san76 wrote:
bitchymum wrote:I am in a panic mode cos SA1 is around the corner and after the CA1 mock test (my gal's pri school do no have CA1 this year) I realise my gal is very weak in her math problems and comprehnsion. Now I am trying to revise with her math problems and comprehension. Hopefully practise make perfect and she can improve before SA1 :pray:

Care to share which pri level is your gal? Why no CA1? My son is in P1 and he has CA1, I know some sch do not have CA1 or SA1 and CA2, they only test the kids in SA2. Some pri 2 also the same.

Now I am preparing my son for his SA1. I gave him past years teat papers and also by topics for Maths. Chinese, I let the chinese tutor revise and guide him.

Some school do not have CA1, SA1 and CA2 for P1 and P2. Children in these school only takes the Final Exam but they do have test every term. This will enable the teacher to know where the child's standard is. If the child fails the test then they will have to attend extra lessons which is out of the school hours. Eventually the child will be able to cope with the rest.

yvetan2020
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby barney » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:07 pm

Some school do not have CA1, SA1 and CA2 for P1 and P2

In fact dd's school only have SA2 at P2, no exams at all at P1 but there'll be tests and other ways to assess the child.

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Preparing for SA1

Postby pranav » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:21 pm

jedamum wrote:EN has offered her method of teaching this type of questions here.
It is really very useful. :)

Dear Jedamum,

What is the meaning of EN, please let me have more details or any specific websites...

Thanks & regards
Pranav

pranav
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support