Oral Picture Description

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Oral Picture Description

Postby nani » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:44 am

Anyone can share your views on what is the objective of having the oral picture description both English and MT.

Was thinking of isn't it better if MOE/Schools can inculcate on more real-life role-play issues instead of describing picture ?

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Oral Picture Description

Postby janet88 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Regarding this oral picture issue, I'm worried if my son is shown a picture of a place he can't describe in Mandarin...for eg Night Safari, which can't possibly be called 晚上动物园...no way can be it 鸟园 for Bird Park.
The examiner will faint.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nani » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:40 pm

Yup...I am not good either. Instead of saying snowskin mooncake is 冰皮, I said 雪皮 :oops: ..direct translation. :oops:

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:46 pm

nani wrote:Yup...I am not good either. Instead of saying snowskin mooncake is 冰皮, I said 雪皮 :oops: ..direct translation. :oops:

I was combing through Popular shelves for a P6 CL oral book...but couldn't find one which has chinese names of places like Bird Park, Zoo. The book I have at home is this one by Raffles Publication.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:49 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:Regarding this oral picture issue, I'm worried if my son is shown a picture of a place he can't describe in Mandarin...for eg Night Safari, which can't possibly be called 晚上动物园...no way can be it 鸟园 for Bird Park.
The examiner will faint.

Night Safari = 夜间野生动物园

Bird Park = 飞禽公园

Postby Chenonceau » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:57 pm

You guys can't beat me ok. My son pointed to the frogs at the restaurant and asked me how to say that in Mandarin. I pointed at the Chinese characters just above the glass thingy and said huo2 qing1 wa1. Then the lady sitting nearby almost choked on her drink.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby laughingcat » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:04 pm

Chenonceau wrote:I pointed at the Chinese characters just above the glass thingy and said huo2 qing1 wa1. Then the lady sitting nearby almost choked on her drink.

:laugh: :rotflmao:

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nani » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:20 pm

suppose to eat 月饼 but son ask said 月糕! :idea:

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Pen88n » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:55 pm

Chenonceau wrote:You guys can't beat me ok. My son pointed to the frogs at the restaurant and asked me how to say that in Mandarin. I pointed at the Chinese characters just above the glass thingy and said huo2 qing1 wa1. Then the lady sitting nearby almost choked on her drink.

Chenonceau, that term will probably not appear in any Chinese oral scenario, so ok not to know.

When I was young, I ate frogs at Chinese restaurant without knowing that was frogs (due to the term used). Kept thinking I was eating chicken till years later when I realised that was the naming of frogs!

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:55 pm

Chenonceau wrote:You guys can't beat me ok. My son pointed to the frogs at the restaurant and asked me how to say that in Mandarin. I pointed at the Chinese characters just above the glass thingy and said huo2 qing1 wa1. Then the lady sitting nearby almost choked on her drink.

Chenonceau, that term will probably not appear in any Chinese oral scenario, so ok not to know.

When I was young, I ate frogs at Chinese restaurant without knowing that was frogs (due to the term used). Kept thinking I was eating chicken till years later when I realised that was the chinese name for frogs!

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support