how many tuition classes + enrichment classes in a wk?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

how many tuition classes + enrichment classes in a wk?

Postby 24hr-mum » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:12 pm

dear parents

just a poll, how many tuition classes and enrichment classes does ur child have in a week? i mean pri sch going child.

do u have tuition for all subjects?

mine have eng compo, ch compo, math n sci, piano and recently swimming and 1 day (only) for cca. i wonder is it too much. but then i duno whc one can drop. i cant teach sci, and math if p5-6. for lang classes my gal weak in compre and compo is sthing i feel need practise. i duno wat to drop

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: how many tuition classes + enrichment classes in a wk?

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:22 pm

Er.... my dd has MT home tuition twice a wk, CCA once, piano lesson once. I coach the rest.

When dds were in lower pri, they used to have MT twice, CCA once, swim once, art class once, violin class once, piano class once. They are busier in upp pri, therefore they forgo some activities.

I think it depends on the needs (weakness) of the child. If your child needs the extra push, then he/she needs it. If I cant coach a certain subject, i suppose i have to end up hiring someone.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby bebebub » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:52 pm

My dd has weekly Maths tuition and piano lesson. I stopped her swimming lessons after she obtain her bronze. For me, can swim is good enough.

She said her friend who has tuition in all 4 subjects plus swimming, piano and violin "very poor thing". But her friend ace in all her subject lor, unlike my dd :).

I think at the end of the day, it boils down to child and parents' expectations. Every family is different.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:37 am

bebebub wrote:I think at the end of the day, it boils down to child and parents' expectations. Every family is different.

yes. and also depends on parent's pocket how deep :sweat:
my boy has Eng and Chinese. we try to limit not more than 2 at the moment (last time was swimming and Chinese, after we drop swimming, we picked up English) as he is only in 'mid'-primary (and also no :moneyflies: la). no time also as he does not want weekdays afterschool lessons. :sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby heyhoe » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:34 am

My eldest ds has english and chinese tuition. As for enrichment it is swimming and piano.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Vevey » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:43 pm

P2 DS1 has weekly piano & swimming. Just stopped his wushu after grading, in anticipation of him busier w CCA next yr. No tuition, no assessment book. :cool:

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby JennyMum » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Math and sci tution only for my children. Prefer to let DH teach them swimming as it helps bond children and father.

JennyMum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sleepy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:02 pm

Currently dd is taking drama, arts and cello. Intend to stop drama & arts in Nov. On top of external enrichments, she has CCA and Maths training in school.

After SA1, embark on temporary tuition for every subject. Chinese for compo only. Trying out tuition the last couple of months as dd said she would like to compare external centers versus my half past six 'I also don't know, you go read up more' way of coaching.

Already stopped Chinese compo class in end Aug. Stopping Maths this week & will be stopping the remaining 2 sujects by end of this month.

Wonder if I will get my job back as her full time tutor :lol:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:45 pm

full job tutor cum full time maid cum full time mum, wow, the maid's salary and tutor's fees shd all go to we mummies.......esp if non-workg mums.....
i often wonder is it worth to give up our pay and get paid nothing.......

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Vevey » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:05 pm

24hr-mum wrote:full job tutor cum full time maid cum full time mum, wow, the maid's salary and tutor's fees shd all go to we mummies.......esp if non-workg mums.....
i often wonder is it worth to give up our pay and get paid nothing.......

After being 4yrs of SAHM, i'm still enjoying getting nothing.

Nothing to stop me from declaring "I'm not cooking/washing/cleaning" today. Nothing to stop me from taking care of the kids when they r sick. Nothing to stop me from bringing them out whenever I feel like it. :evil:

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support