Social Study project at primary 4

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Social Study project at primary 4

Postby EN » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:13 am

My daughter who is currently in primary 4 has been asked to complete her Social Studies project on Colonial Heritage Tour. The project given to her a month back requires the students to visit Fort Canning Park (arranged by the school) and to do a write up in the form of scrapbook or a Power Point presentation on the aspects of the tour which they found interesting.

The project should contain, cover page, content page, main information, conclusion, acknowledgement page and bibliography. Projects done using Power Point is to be saved on to CDs for submission.

I am wondering what other schools are requesting the primary 4 level students to do for their Social Studies project.

As there is much depth and research work needed in carrying out the projects, do you provide assistance to your child or just a rough guidelines to get your child started.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:13 am

Social studies projects are usually group work. The research / gathering materials is spilted amongst the children. The one who is 'leader' / pro-computer would take over the compilation into vangard sheets or thumb drive. If there is any presentation in front of class / teacher, they would split their share as well.

Usually I would help my girl gather the materials but we are not the ones that do the final compilation. There was one instance I provided thumb drive for her group to load the data in, to be submitted to teacher to transfer to her computer.

Personally I find such projects time consuming. I won't get involve.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:20 pm

Thanks caroline3sg for replying.

I share the same view too. Such project works are tedious and my daughter is an average student, so I did spend time finding articles that she is able to read. The project given can be done individually; or in groups of not more than 3 (not sure if max is 3 or 4). My daughter chose to do individually as sometime team lead is not able to delegate a proper job making some group members as a free rider which also translate to zero mark as each individual group member efforts are to be indicated on the project.

My daughter is in one of the elite school. I do wonder do other social studies project as tough elsewhere?

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:36 am

Hi EN

Sure there would be free rider. My girl was a free rider before, but no choice, because both of us don't know how to do and perhaps short deadline and also it is not an examinable subject. However, I am not sure if the one doing most of the work would 'complain' or be unhappy. To me, the leaders are enthusiatic about doing the compilation. Regarding marks, all in the same group get the same marks but there was no indication of individual effort on the project.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Social Studies project

Postby edanson » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:05 pm

My daughter is in one of the elite school. I do wonder do other social studies project as tough elsewhere?

Hi En, if I am not wrong, your girl is in RGS ?

Ok, I am just wondering if your girl is in the GEP ?

All GEP students have do many projects with effect from the moment they joined GEP, that is at primary 4. These projects include all the things you mentioned and some even more - visits, research, interview of grandparents with videoing up of whole session, use powerpoint to do a complete presentation and so on. Marks will be awarded accordingly and will stand a certain percentage of their SA1 and SA2. Not only social studies, every year they will have projects for almost all subject - English, Maths, Science and minimun three projects for Social Studies.

During the primary six, the GEP students will only start their PSLE studies after mid year school holidays. Prior to that , they will still be struggling to complete all their projects - every project (group and individual ) will have a due date to follow.

Have you heard of TWINNING program in Nan Hua. Students who did not managed to get in to GEP but are showing great potential (results selection according to MOE ) will get selected and join the GEP students in Nan Hua for Chinese, PE, Social Studies lessons (exclude the three main subjects- English, Maths and Science) . These Twinning students will do the same social studies projects like the GEP students with presentation etc. but their marks will not affect their SA1 and SA2.

Probably your girl's school is trying to expose your child to the GEP program - maybe not all but some, as they feel that those programs help a child to be more independent, creative , more expose and confident presenter .

Actually, I think is great for your girl.

Have a nice day and hope your girl enjoys her project.

edanson
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby EN » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:17 am

Sure there would be free rider. My girl was a free rider before, but no choice, because both of us don't know how to do and perhaps short deadline and also it is not an examinable subject. However, I am not sure if the one doing most of the work would 'complain' or be unhappy. To me, the leaders are enthusiatic about doing the compilation. Regarding marks, all in the same group get the same marks but there was no indication of individual effort on the project.

Hi Caroline3sg

No worries. My girl has been a free rider herself. But I was aware of the project & since it has been done by someone who has an older sister in the same school, all good then. About the marks, it highly dependent on who her group member is. Some girls can be catty.

Hi Edanson

Right school and no she is not in the program. I think the school is trying to expose some of the GEP program to the rest of the classes. Yes, I've heard of the Twinning program but am not sure if her school has the same program. It's great that she has been given the opportunity and exposure. However, when time contraint, it becomes unenjoyable. But so far, the project has been interesting. Last year was Malay Heritage Village. I didn't help her with the project then but we went as a family to see what she was raving about. Good learning experience for the parents too. So this year is Colonial Heritage. After doing the research with her, yes, it 's in my agenda to have an afternoon there as a family after the exam is over.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support