model approach vs unit transfer method

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

model approach vs unit transfer method

Postby 24hr-mum » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:25 am

hi

for parents who are familiar with both MA (model approach) and UTM (unit transfer mthd), at whch level ie p4 or p5 shd the child be taught UTM since in sch they only teach MA? will UTM confuse the child?

on the other hand, UTM seems easier cos no need to draw models and some kids may like.

i m asking this cos still contemplating between mathheurisitics (utm) and onsponge (primarily MA i think). prefer centres that teach a thinkg framework, not just normal centres just do n do tons of wksheet and at the end the child dontunderstand or forget the approach

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: model approach vs unit transfer method

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:13 pm

24hr-mum wrote:hi

for parents who are familiar with both MA (model approach) and UTM (unit transfer mthd), at whch level ie p4 or p5 shd the child be taught UTM since in sch they only teach MA? will UTM confuse the child?

on the other hand, UTM seems easier cos no need to draw models and some kids may like.

i m asking this cos still contemplating between mathheurisitics (utm) and onsponge (primarily MA i think). prefer centres that teach a thinkg framework, not just normal centres just do n do tons of wksheet and at the end the child dontunderstand or forget the approach

According to a friend whose kid was in P6 last year, his school had never taught UTM. This was a method her son learned in the enrichment centre only.

Postby 24hr-mum » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:23 pm

ya, schools wont teach (anything, sigh). i m contemplating whether to send my girl to tuition ctr that teach Ma OR utm OR BOTH

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:32 pm

My take is this... (but take with some salt because after Jan 2010's traumatic experience with failure, I have become hyper-vigilant and approach my son's schoolwork like an FBI agent out to prevent the next terrorist attack). This means I lay the groundwork for every contingency.

I gave my son all the methods (from UTM, to branching, to Model, to algebra) and I leave it to him to develop the mental agility to choose the best method for the problem. Some problems simply are easier to solve using one particular method. P5 exams require SPEED and accuracy. There are questions that can be solved in 2 minutes with algebra... others need a long time with algebra but can be done in 2 minutes with UTM. For other questions, my son mixes and matches the methods.

With practice, the child can learn to scan and pick methods. However, if your child does not have a strong grounding in Math from P1 to P4, then giving so many methods may be confusing.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24hr-mum » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:06 pm

so have u tried mathheuristic at goldhill or the onsponge tuition?
as for branching, where is it taught?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:34 pm

24hr-mum wrote:so have u tried mathheuristic at goldhill or the onsponge tuition?
as for branching, where is it taught?

Ummmm... I kinda don't believe in tuition. I believe that one's studies must be one's own effort and that independent learning is an important skill to build in preparation for secondary school.

So, I bought the Onsponge books (they document both branching and UTM) and the Math Heuristic Model book. Then, I got my son to skim them. This means he does only 2 problems from each sub-unit of the book... The moment he feels that he has grasped the strategy, he moves on to the next sub-unit. Then I threw away the book. No sense boring the child unnecessarily. He completed both books in 2 weeks so I dun think the techniques are very hard to pick up.

For the Math Heuristics Model Drawing book, my son insisted to do one particular sub-unit entirely because he thought that it was a strategy that he did not fully understand after doing only 2 problems.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:35 pm

24hr-mum wrote:ya, schools wont teach (anything, sigh). i m contemplating whether to send my girl to tuition ctr that teach Ma OR utm OR BOTH

School teaches MA.

Postby iFirefly » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:53 pm

ksi wrote:
24hr-mum wrote:ya, schools wont teach (anything, sigh). i m contemplating whether to send my girl to tuition ctr that teach Ma OR utm OR BOTH

School teaches MA.

Hi 24hr-mum, you mean your DS' school never teach the Model Approach at all? Thot most schools will introduce MA to pupils from P2 onwards (simple ones)? My DS is in P3 this year and his school has taught them both the MA and Unit Transfer Method.
Btw, what primary level is your child in this year?

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Sorry, allow me to OT abit as I'm getting a bit confused......

At PSLE, are students allowed/suppose to use any appropriate method/strategy to solve a word problem? Say, if the Q can be solved using either MA or UTM, student can choose whichever method, as long as the problem is solved?

So if school only teach the MA method, then it is up to student to learn the other methods - UTM, algebra, whatever.....

Sorry for being such a clueless mummy.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:28 pm

bebebub wrote:Sorry, allow me to OT abit as I'm getting a bit confused......

At PSLE, are students allowed/suppose to use any appropriate method/strategy to solve a word problem? Say, if the Q can be solved using either MA or UTM, student can choose whichever method, as long as the problem is solved?

So if school only teach the MA method, then it is up to student to learn the other methods - UTM, algebra, whatever.....

Sorry for being such a clueless mummy.

Yes, PSLE accepts any method as long as it logically leads to the answer.

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support