Why can't we see PSLE papers?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Postby tianzhu » Fri May 30, 2008 10:33 pm

http://www.asiaone.com/print/News/Educa ... 67051.html
Release all exam questions, says tutor
All PSLE questions should be released to the public to prevent complaints and for parents to help their children better. -ST

Mon, May 26, 2008
The Straits Times
AS A private maths tutor, I wish to share three perspectives with worried parents like Ms Jessica Chong.
First, schools should not be blamed for setting unusual questions, which usually involve challenging maths IQ and Olympiad-style methods. Past questions of this nature are not released for publication in the PSLE question papers sold in bookshops.
When I asked the Ministry of Education last year why these questions were not available publicly, I was told that these questions were required for research, benchmarking and re-use.
I am certain schools do not have access to these questions either.
Second, it is prudent for parents to help their children master 'tricky maths questions' by studying additional books or attending additional classes, instead of relying only on school textbooks or school teachers.
Do not be surprised to find that even some school teachers have difficulty solving some of these tricky questions. Self-help is better than waiting for miracles to happen.
My estimate is that there are about 10 exam questions, or 20 per cent of a total of 48 each year, which are not released each year.
Finally, rather than endure the annual bouts of complaints, I urge the ministry to release all PSLE questions to the public.
Schools and teachers should be given the chance to find solutions to help their students.
Holding back examination questions is unproductive and creates unnecessary stress among schools, teachers, students and parents.
Lim Boon Tong

Parents and students have access to past GCE O & A level exam papers. Please share your thoughts.

tianzhu
Councillor
Councillor

Postby lizawa » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:52 am

My son is in P6 this year. They were told to buy "Past year PSLE papers" for the different subjects. These are published by MOE authorized publishers and available through the schools. I am not too sure if all questions are in there. But even if the higher order questions are not in there, I am sure the school teachers would have taken a look at the papers during invigilation and able to set similar questions for next batch of students.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support