How to help my child

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

How to help my child

Postby Soshelp » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:48 am

Hi,

I just received my child's result today and very disappointed that she failed her Maths and Science. Scored B and C for both language subjects. She will be having PLSE next year and with her scores, I'm afraid that chances of going to NA is there.

I am very worrying for her and hope she could make it for Express. Can you pls give me advice on how to help her?

Regards,
Soshelp

Soshelp
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: How to help my child

Postby passionformath » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Hi.

In order to buck up for her math, she can do the following method which I have tried on a student of mine who failed her math in Primary 5 but managed to score 60 plus for her prelims. For mathematics, get her to do past year exam papers. You may want to head down to Bras Besah for a better offer of past year exam papers. You may want to purchase 2010 and 2011 papers.

To boost her morale, get her do the MCQ only for maybe about 2 months. Preferably every day a set of MCQ plus the first 5 (2 marks) questions of section C and by the end of 2 months, she should be able to score about 17-20 marks for MCQ and full marks for the first 5 questions. Then, do the same for section B and proceed to do all the 3 marks questions for Section C. Thus, she should have sufficient time from about Apr to Oct (6 months) to tackle on all the 4 and 5 marks questions.

Also, a word of advice, is to engage a private tutor to teach her on speed and circles which are new to them. You may want to check with the tutor if she/he is able to identify the different kind of speed question. This is fairly important as I realised from all these years of tutoring that students are most afraid of speed questions. Thus, the idea is to boost her morale to increase her interest.

All the best to you and your child in preparing fro her upcoming PSLE!

PS. I'm so sorry I can't provide much advise on Science as my expertise is not in that area.

passionformath
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby christina soh » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Soshelp wrote:Hi,

I just received my child's result today and very disappointed that she failed her Maths and Science. Scored B and C for both language subjects. She will be having PLSE next year and with her scores, I'm afraid that chances of going to NA is there.

I am very worrying for her and hope she could make it for Express. Can you pls give me advice on how to help her?

Regards,
Soshelp

For past year exam papers, you may contact the following supplier:-

http://www.ganexampaper.blogspot.com/

christina soh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby susu2626 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:31 pm

practise make perfect :rahrah:

susu2626
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby elderflowertea » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Don't worry so much. I have a student who used to fail her Maths. After I have taught her from Aug to Oct, she managed to pass her PSLE this year. She even sent me a very heart-warming SMS =) So don't lose hope in your child yet.

For me, I just did a recap on all the topics and focus training her on the topics she's weak in. I also gave her plenty of other school papers to practise. You still have one whole year to help your child so don't lose hopes =) Make use of the December hol to do some revision with her.

elderflowertea
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby FeeDAD » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Just a sidenote. most past years papers only comes with answers only. They never show you how to arrive at the answers. Maths is all about your logical thinking, so you might need to find someone to teach her how the steps

FeeDAD
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support