Help on written expression for P2 n P3

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Help on written expression for P2 n P3

Postby owlparents » Fri May 01, 2009 11:24 pm

Anyone can share how to prepare my child in P2 n P3 in written expression ? My son has poor sentence structure... :D

owlparents
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Any examples?

Postby buds » Sat May 02, 2009 1:04 am

Can elaborate on your child's poor sentence structure
weakness using examples from previous assignments? Tks
in advance.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Any examples?

Postby jedamum » Sun May 03, 2009 12:24 am

buds wrote:Can elaborate on your child's poor sentence structure
in advance.

buds...good time for you to start a thread on compo writing for lower pri kids. :D
"How to Tackle Compo Writing - For lower pri" :wink:

A few hours ago, my son finished his compo prac for today. It asked for min. 5 sentences. He gave me 12. The thing is, after last week's 'training' on oral, he tends to write like he is going through oral practise :| .
"She is probably....It looks like..." :(

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Jennifer » Thu May 07, 2009 12:36 am

jedamum wrote:
buds wrote:Can elaborate on your child's poor sentence structure
in advance.

buds...good time for you to start a thread on compo writing for lower pri kids. :D
"How to Tackle Compo Writing - For lower pri" :wink:

A few hours ago, my son finished his compo prac for today. It asked for min. 5 sentences. He gave me 12. The thing is, after last week's 'training' on oral, he tends to write like he is going through oral practise :| .
"She is probably....It looks like..." :(

My P2 boy wrote the following today on his own after listening to my pointers: It was evening when the sun inched its way down to the horizon. Bill's mother told Bill to bathe at 5pm in the afternoon but now it was already 7pm in the evening. "Mum would be coming home now," Bill thought. Bill quickly ran to the bathroom and he turned on the tap. He wanted to let the water flow until the bathtub was half full. He remembered that his favourite television programme was showing now. He dashed to the living room and threw himself on the soft sofa to relax. He took the remote controller and switched on the television. He changed the channel to Okto. He watched the Okto television programme until he completely forgot about this bath.

Those in blue belongs to his 1st paragraph. I thought it was ok except for the reference to "in the afternoon" and "in the evening" when he had already mentioned the exact time and the word "now" appeared 3 times.

I think the 2nd paragraph (in green) is badly written. The pic merely shows a happy boy on a sofa with a remote controller in his hand and the TV switched on.

The FT told the pupils she expected to see 6 - 10 sentences for each paragraph. But based on a simplified pic, how does one come up with 6 sentences???

Since the sch re-opened after the Mar hols, he comes back with a compo every week. It's killing me to sit next to him and give him pointers n suggestions about what he could write abt based on 4 pics.

Today was his SA1 compo writing. He told me he wrote 2.5 pages (big spacings and 1 line spacing). I wonder why he could write so much on his own in school during a test, but is reluctant to do so independently at home.

Do those assessment books on creative writing help?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu May 07, 2009 11:37 am

Jennifer wrote:Do those assessment books on creative writing help?

Can anyone recommend some good/useful English and Chinese Compo assessment books? for P1/P2.
TIA.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support