Primary Level Classes - am i stuck in a rut?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Primary Level Classes - am i stuck in a rut?

Postby MrsMom » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Hi I'm not sure who can help me but i need some ideas and a soundboard basically.

My son is in P3 this year and i discovered there is only 2 classes for P3. Should i be concern about this? You can tell from the amount of the class that this is not much of a fancy school. I would blame it on myself as I was not much aware of the Primary Education race and how soon i needed to start.

My concerns are : what does it mean if its two classes for P3 level? how does it impact my child in terms of resources/potential etc?
My son has always been in the first class and now that the P3 level shrank to 2 classes, I'm wondering what now? Should i change school for him?

Please help. I am truly a lost soul :?

MrsMom
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Primary Level Classes - am i stuck in a rut?

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:31 pm

MrsMom, in P1/P2, there are typically 25-30 kids per class only. So your school may have started with 3 P1 classes, I assume, which is about 75-90 kids.

From P3 onwards, the class size will expand to 40+, hence you find that it has shrunk to 2 classes. This is typically the same in ALL schools in Singapore. So whichever school you transfer to, you will find that the P3 cohort would have shrunk in classes from the P1 registered number of classes.

If my understanding of your problem statement is wrong, perhaps you can share how many classes the cohort started with 3 years ago in P1.

Postby MrsMom » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:27 pm

He started with 5 classes in P1. I have asked a few friends whose children in are in P3 apparently the they have 5 classes the most.

Can this be considered as a sign of a school with not enough resourcing and stretching their resources?

MrsMom
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:35 pm

From 5 to 2 classes seems a little drastic. What is the number of children per class in the 2 classes now?

Postby MrsMom » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Apparently since P1 the school has been having students moving out of the school. My son's class has 38/39 students and the other is 37 students.

MrsMom
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am

What are your concerns regarding resources?
Usually for such small schools, there will be lesser CCAs available.

Other than that, academic resources should not lack. Again, it also depends on their staff strength. If they are understaffed, then there might not be enough teachers to share the workload to create materials for the lessons.

1. Does your child enjoy school?
2. If you let your child try other school's exam papers, how is your child faring?
3. Are you able to give that extra boost at home? Or are you heavily depending on the school to do so? Bear in mind, schools with many classes will also be stretched in terms of staff.

Another consideration: Does the school of your choice have any vacancies?

Good to think through and sit down to discuss with your child on your concerns before making a decision. :)

Regards,
Mrs Wong
Tuition classes: www.mwtuition.blogspot.com
My personal blog: www.thelittleonesinmylife.blogspot.com

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:40 am

MrsMom wrote:Apparently since P1 the school has been having students moving out of the school. My son's class has 38/39 students and the other is 37 students.

Ah...so... in that case there is some natural attrition going on from P1 which you have to find out why. The school having 2 classes of 38-39 students per class at P3 is really normal and nothing to do with resource constraints of the school. However, why so many transferred out from P1 is something you may want to find out more about if it troubles you. Sometimes it may just be the school is simply not a first-choice school at P1 registration so the moment they get news of their choice school having a vacancy, they would move, especially at P1, there would be alot of movement.

Postby meinteel » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:42 am

MOE gives the school funds according to the number of students enrolled within, therefore the funds is proportional to size of student population. Therefore, resources shouldn't be lacking.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby try » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:27 pm

meinteel wrote:MOE gives the school funds according to the number of students enrolled within, therefore the funds is proportional to size of student population. Therefore, resources shouldn't be lacking.

More funds = more flexibility which schools can apportion to a wider range of activities based on economy of scale. Just another point of view.

try
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support