High Achiever Enrichment classes in school

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

High Achiever Enrichment classes in school

Postby bridegerms » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:48 am

I was shocked to see from my son's school timetable that they had allocated a day after school for "High Achivever Enrichment" ? So how about those average and above average children??? I really don't understand the school system these day. Any one encounter this is their school?

bridegerms
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: High Achiever Enrichment classes in school

Postby Pen88n » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:51 am

Bridegerms, which level is your son in?

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:56 am

:congrats:

DS's school conducts extra lessons for those students that need extra help. Parents can opt their children out if they wish, and the lesson is free.

I do not know whether there is extra lesson for students on the other end.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby blessed777 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:22 pm

Perhaps the enrichment class intended fr those who need extra help? N the name means that the enrichment aimed to enable the students to get better achievement, some children/parents may not comfortable with the term of remedial class :)

blessed777
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby bridegerms » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Pen88n wrote:Bridegerms, which level is your son in?

My son is in P4 this year :smile:

bridegerms
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby bridegerms » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:16 pm

blessed777 wrote:Perhaps the enrichment class intended fr those who need extra help? N the name means that the enrichment aimed to enable the students to get better achievement, some children/parents may not comfortable with the term of remedial class :)

I too hope that , that's what they meant, have e-mail to his form teacher to ask about the "real" meaning have yet to get an answer

bridegerms
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby bridegerms » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:19 pm

I have saw an article on the newspaper, that certain tuition center only takes in good students and they need to take a pre-entry test beofre they could get in. So this trigger this fear in me that school are also doing this kind of thing where they trained their elite student to make a name for their school. That;s is how nowaday neighbourhood school also got scholars

bridegerms
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jedamum » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:36 pm

bridegerms,
it is true that for some schools, they have extra classes after school for higher abilities students. i think is to train them for olympiad competition etc. those weaker students needing help usually will be going for classes that are either named as remedial classes or supplementary classes. but i think it is rather insenstive of the school to write that out in the common timetable issued to all. they could have said 'extra lessons' only. JMHO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:57 pm

bridegerms wrote:I have saw an article on the newspaper, that certain tuition center only takes in good students and they need to take a pre-entry test beofre they could get in. So this trigger this fear in me that school are also doing this kind of thing where they trained their elite student to make a name for their school. That;s is how nowaday neighbourhood school also got scholars

Yes this is precisely happening in most schools, nothing new. Every school will take care of the children at both spectrum....the reward system is exactly that way too. Only the good ones get rewarded and the weaker ones get rewarded when they make progress. The in-between are usually the 'get-help-in-the-class' category. If we think about it, it spurs the mid range to climb upwards if they want the extra stretch enrichment and for the school to take care of the weak, it is a necessity if the school attempts to get everyone to pass and be trained. I believe the schools have been doing this all these years, they are not copying the enrichment centres but rather enrichment centres are set up to meet the demands of parents who want their children also to be enriched.

As I have mentioned in other threads, for parents who do not have their children enjoying the enrichment in school, they will get it outside to fill the gap themselves if they really want it and nothing wrong with that if it is by choice. It is market forces.

Postby phankao » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:01 pm

ksi wrote:
bridegerms wrote:I have saw an article on the newspaper, that certain tuition center only takes in good students and they need to take a pre-entry test beofre they could get in. So this trigger this fear in me that school are also doing this kind of thing where they trained their elite student to make a name for their school. That;s is how nowaday neighbourhood school also got scholars

Yes this is precisely happening in most schools, nothing new. Every school will take care of the children at both spectrum....the reward system is exactly that way too. Only the good ones get rewarded and the weaker ones get rewarded when they make progress. The in-between are usually the 'get-help-in-the-class' category. If we think about it, it spurs the mid range to climb upwards if they want the extra stretch enrichment and for the school to take care of the weak, it is a necessity if the school attempts to get everyone to pass and be trained. I believe the schools have been doing this all these years, they are not copying the enrichment centres but rather enrichment centres are set up to meet the demands of parents who want their children also to be enriched.

As I have mentioned in other threads, for parents who do not have their children enjoying the enrichment in school, they will get it outside to fill the gap themselves if they really want it and nothing wrong with that if it is by choice. It is market forces.

Actually last time when my dd was in primary school, she was asked to attend Stretch classes after school for some subjects. These are really for the "in-between", so that they can push them up to get As.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support