Do you believe in e-learning?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Do you believe in e-learning?

Postby aervin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Do you parents believe in e-learning? Please help me answer to the following questions! It's actually for my upcoming project! :lol:

1) If an e-learning website for primary school students that provide exams, assessments tests & training questions for English, Math & Science are released on a weekly basis for all subjects, do you all think that it would be beneficial for your kid?
(Questions are from top primary schools & latest syllabus. New tests & questions are released every week.)

2) Would you actually pay for it? If yes, how much are you willing to pay for it?

:imcool: :imcool: :imcool: :imcool: :imcool:

I am not doing any form of advertising here! Just want to gather honest feedbacks from parents here! I wouldn't break the rules.. hope I didn't! :x

aervin
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Do you believe in e-learning?

Postby meinteel » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:36 pm

E-learning can be used as a complement to classroom and/or tutoring/coaching but should not replace them.

While e-learning provides convenience and its probably much cheaper, the questions, answers and explanations are fixed. However, different students will understand the concept better in a different way.

Payment wise, it would depend on the quality of the questions, solutions and explanation provided. I would also want to look at how interactive it is.

It is noteworthy that most assessment books providing anywhere between 10-30 practice/exam papers costs less than $15 in the bookstores. Therefore, in what way do you have an edge over them? Pricing? Interactive learning?

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syeda » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:27 pm

meinteel wrote:E-learning can be used as a complement to classroom and/or tutoring/coaching but should not replace them.

While e-learning provides convenience and its probably much cheaper, the questions, answers and explanations are fixed. However, different students will understand the concept better in a different way.

Payment wise, it would depend on the quality of the questions, solutions and explanation provided. I would also want to look at how interactive it is.

It is noteworthy that most assessment books providing anywhere between 10-30 practice/exam papers costs less than $15 in the bookstores. Therefore, in what way do you have an edge over them? Pricing? Interactive learning?

Does anyone know any elearning platform for individuals in Singapore?
The reason for asking is that I am myself a teacher in Middle East and love Singapore curriculum,which is not present here.So due to the advancement of technology there must be no barriers and difference so if any one knows let me know..................

syeda
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tankee » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:27 am

aervin wrote:Do you parents believe in e-learning? Please help me answer to the following questions! It's actually for my upcoming project! :lol:

1) If an e-learning website for primary school students that provide exams, assessments tests & training questions for English, Math & Science are released on a weekly basis for all subjects, do you all think that it would be beneficial for your kid?
(Questions are from top primary schools & latest syllabus. New tests & questions are released every week.)

2) Would you actually pay for it? If yes, how much are you willing to pay for it?

:imcool: :imcool: :imcool: :imcool: :imcool:

I am not doing any form of advertising here! Just want to gather honest feedbacks from parents here! I wouldn't break the rules.. hope I didn't! :x

IMHO

Most schools if not all, have already tied up with some eLearning portal as supplementary teaching & revision for their students.

The value-add of having eAssessment can differentiate your portal from others. It would be useful for revision or added exercises for those who are old and discipline enough to self study. But some parents may prefer more personal coaching for their children, especially in explaining areas where their children do not understand; and some students require personal attention.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby lisayvonne » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:02 pm

meinteel wrote:E-learning can be used as a complement to classroom and/or tutoring/coaching but should not replace them.

Agree with you.
E-learning is convenience, cheaper and a complement to classroom. My DD has been using the worksheets after school on this site beestar, quite helpful. As much as I know, some of my friends are homeschooling their children and E-learning is an important part of it.
Lisa

lisayvonne
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:48 pm

I am currently subscribed to 5 e-learning platforms for my children - 2 on my own and 3 through school. I like that the children's learning is at their pace and accelerating them is not an issue as there is usually a voice over to teach them in such instances. I note that the curriculum on e-learning platforms are usually quite simple so I will be glad if there is a more challeging web-based platform in the market. I do not like the ones where I need to load the program into my computer because it is troublesome, more so when lap top spoils, stolen or lost and it takes up storage.

Howver, e-learning is complementary to traditional learning and cannot replace the actual act of putting pen to paper to practice.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby meinteel » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:I am currently subscribed to 5 e-learning platforms for my children - 2 on my own and 3 through school. I like that the children's learning is at their pace and accelerating them is not an issue as there is usually a voice over to teach them in such instances. I note that the curriculum on e-learning platforms are usually quite simple so I will be glad if there is a more challeging web-based platform in the market. I do not like the ones where I need to load the program into my computer because it is troublesome, more so when lap top spoils, stolen or lost and it takes up storage.

Howver, e-learning is complementary to traditional learning and cannot replace the actual act of putting pen to paper to practice.

May I know which platforms you are using?

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby graciousbear » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:15 pm

e learning is good if you are talking about those games which are fun and educational at the same time. but for real academic things, pen and paper still the best

graciousbear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support