entry to local schools for foreigners

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

entry to local schools for foreigners

Postby summerinsg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:44 pm

hi everyone,

i am thinking of re-locating to singapore with my family. School is a top priority for my 3 kids and i am wondering if there are eligibility issues since we are not Singaporeans by birth.

My eldest Joel will be just right for Primary 1 next year. Any restrictions to local boarding for my children? Or should i just go to international schools?

any advice welcome.

:?

summerinsg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: entry to local schools for foreigners

Postby tankee » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:11 am

Foreigners are eligible to register for local Primary Schools in Phase 3 of the registration process.

Places in majority of the schools would have been filled up by Singaporean and Singapore PR by end of phase 2C Supplementary. Nevertheless there will still be some schools with balanced places.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby try » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:38 pm

I don't know about eligibility but I would like to share my views on phase 3. You need to do your research and get into schools which have a good system in place and that the school has enough resources to cater to the student diversity because usually in phase 3, there are not many "" schools left. What I mean by the latter is that some schools have majority of students who need help in their schoolwork - the pace of the lessons may be slower. So if your child can proceed at a faster pace, the school may not have the resources to help.

If you come from a place where education promotes creativity, please do not come to Singapore. Many students in the Singapore system are struggling unless they get external help through tuition. It is especially demoralising for children who are not academically inclined or not matured enough to be self-motivated. There are many other things a young child can focus on other than academic.

try
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sakuratattoo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:32 pm

my daughter will also be P1 next school year and we are also foreigners here (on employment pass). the school nearest our house is quite "hot" so i dont think we will be able to get in to that school. there are other neighborhood schools in the area that still have slot in the Phase 3 registration last year.
there are no restrictions for foreigner kids here as long as they are on dependent pass or student pass. they can most definitely enter the local school.

sakuratattoo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sim » Mon May 07, 2012 10:33 am

Hi sakuratattoo,

Can I know how long will it take for the student pass to be approved is the school has accepted your application?

Thanks!

sim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby peterch » Mon May 07, 2012 11:21 am

Here is from MOE Website : "International students who are aged 6+ and below 7 as of 1 January in the year of admission can apply to their school of choice during Phase 3 of the Primary One Registration Exercise. They do not need to participate in the Admissions Exercise for International Students (AEIS)."

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissions/international-students/non-dp-ieo/

Non employment pass and dependent pass holder also eligible :smile:

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sim » Mon May 07, 2012 11:28 am

Hi peterch,

Thanks for your fast reply! Actually I'm Singaporean but my son is HK citizen. We would like to relocate back to Sin. My son will be P2 this but he don't have to participate in the AEIS as I'm Singaporean. I can just apply to the school directly. But I think I still need to apply student pass for him since he is non Singaporean.

sim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sakuratattoo » Mon May 07, 2012 10:34 pm

sim wrote:Hi sakuratattoo,

Can I know how long will it take for the student pass to be approved is the school has accepted your application?

Thanks!

hi sim!

sorry i dont have answer to your question as my daughter holds dependent pass...

sakuratattoo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sim » Tue May 08, 2012 10:01 am

Hi sakuratattoo,

Anyway thanks! By the way, what is dependent pass? And, do you think Sin is a good place for our children to have their education? Cos I'm now in HK, I find here too stressful.

sim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby peterch » Tue May 08, 2012 10:19 am

sim wrote:Hi peterch,

Thanks for your fast reply! Actually I'm Singaporean but my son is HK citizen. We would like to relocate back to Sin. My son will be P2 this but he don't have to participate in the AEIS as I'm Singaporean. I can just apply to the school directly. But I think I still need to apply student pass for him since he is non Singaporean.

If you are Singaporean, you can apply to any school of your choice directly as long as they have vacancy for your DS and apply a student pass from ICA after he sit and pass the entrance test from the school.

Hope this would help

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissions/international-students/dp-ieo/index.php

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support