Time to ponder -- Subject-Based Banding (SBB)

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Postby tianzhu » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:20 am

Subject-Based Banding (SBB) will be implemented from the 2008 P5 cohort. It will replace the merged and EM3 stream. Depending on their performance in P4, students will be streamed into classes taking 4 standard classes with Higher Mother Tongue(HMT) , 4 standard subjects or a combination of standard and foundation subjects.
Are these equivalents to the earlier EM1, EM2 and EM3?
4S + HMT --> EM1
4S --> EM2
Combination of standard and foundation subjects --> EM2/EM3

I still remember in my old school days long, long time ago, even though there had been no streaming, we are still allocated into A class , B class and so on depending on our grades.

We had been streamed in the past; still being streamed at present and will still continue to be streamed in the future. That’s the reality of life. Call a rose by any name, it still smell as sweet.
What do you think?

What Subject-Based Banding Means for Your Child
http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/subje ... nglish.pdf

Postby tamarind » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:34 pm

I agree that subject based banding is still streaming. Those who can study higher Chinese will be considered "elite". Those who need to study foundation subjects will be considered weaker students and their future will be less bright.

Well, this is the result of so called "education experts" designing our school system. I am not expert. But I know that Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Bill Gates etc did not grow up studying in this kind of system. I feel that this system is not going to produce anyone like Albert Einstein, etc.

Postby jedamum » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:13 pm

In a way, subject banding is good, cos kids that are good in one of the subjects, get to learn more about that subject. but the thing is that, do they give more psle weightage for the subject that the kids are good in?

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support