The period before PSLE

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

The period before PSLE

Postby MdmKS » Tue May 19, 2009 11:15 am

Mostly likely during the one month or so before PSLE, schools will be drilling the kids for exam papers. Is it more effecitive to follow-up closely with that at home or spending time running around for PSLE tuition and struggling between homework given by tutition centre and school. Is it better to stop all enrichment including tuition earlier?

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Tue May 19, 2009 11:51 am

sch & tuition centres' homework would be mock. Even don't attend tuition, at home would still be doing past yr PSLE papers. Of course, need to revise / memorise as well.

I would prefer sch to give off days just like PSLE marking days to P1-5 children, off days for P6 to study at home would be good.

If you think it is better not to attend tuition, you may stop by giving one month notice to tuition centres. But maybe tuition centres do highlight what common mistakes or what to look out for?

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Wed May 20, 2009 7:41 am

How many of you are concerned about burning out before PSLE? After the SA1, I'd say that our children are about ready to sit for the PSLE. The next few months are just about drilling. How boring is that for the child and will they suffer burn-out after a couple of months of this?

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Fairy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 pm

turquoise wrote:How many of you are concerned about burning out before PSLE? After the SA1, I'd say that our children are about ready to sit for the PSLE. The next few months are just about drilling. How boring is that for the child and will they suffer burn-out after a couple of months of this?

In my children's school, the students/parents are constantly reminded that they should peak in their PSLE performance and not Prelim. How? One reminder is not to let them do so many 'exam papers' that they would 'vomit' at the sight of another one! I think this is a very good piece of advice. Last year, the department head of GEP in their school told me that from their past experience in handling the PSLE cohort from the GEP, it is not wise to start them on past year papers too soon. From their observation, many of them do not have the stamina to be stretched for so long. It is also important for them to keep fit. Hence, PE lessons were increased to three times per week in P6 and the occassional class parties were organised to help them bond and relax.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby turquoise » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:12 pm

Fairy wrote:In my children's school, the students/parents are constantly reminded that they should peak in their PSLE performance and not Prelim. How? One reminder is not to let them do so many 'exam papers' that they would 'vomit' at the sight of another one! I think this is a very good piece of advice. Last year, the department head of GEP in their school told me that from their past experience in handling the PSLE cohort from the GEP, it is not wise to start them on past year papers too soon. From their observation, many of them do not have the stamina to be stretched for so long. It is also important for them to keep fit. Hence, PE lessons were increased to three times per week in P6 and the occassional class parties were organised to help them bond and relax.

Great advice. So when did your school start their P6 GEP students on revision papers?

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Fairy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:09 am

turquoise wrote:Great advice. So when did your school start their P6 GEP students on revision papers?

I can't remember. However, their first mainstream exam is the Prelim. August was the deadline for their last Social Studies (Graded) Project.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby nothing2do » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:43 pm

hi,

my girl chinese teacher hv been giving them extra lesson during the jun holiday. everytime go back to sch for remedia lesson will come home with lots of homework, the whole of jun she dont get to enjoy herself. I'm a little worry.

nothing2do
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Fairy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:26 pm

nothing2do wrote:hi,

my girl chinese teacher hv been giving them extra lesson during the jun holiday. everytime go back to sch for remedia lesson will come home with lots of homework, the whole of jun she dont get to enjoy herself. I'm a little worry.

My child's school practised the opposite. There is only a 3 half-day supplementary lessons at the beginning of the June holiday. In the principal's words: "the teachers, too need a break to recharge". Students are expected to do their own revision at home.

I heard that schools like Henry Park, River Valley & Nan Hua had holiday lessons for their P5 & 6 students for the 1st & last week of June! Some of them engaged external service provider like Maths Olympiad trainers to give their students a boost in their Maths.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sunflower » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:34 pm

Fairy wrote:I heard that schools like Henry Park, River Valley & Nan Hua had holiday lessons for their P5 & 6 students for the 1st & last week of June! Some of them engaged external service provider like Maths Olympiad trainers to give their students a boost in their Maths.

In fact, I've heard that MANY schools have extra lessons either during 1st or last week (or both) of Jun hols (esp for P6). My niece's school has already been practicising normal school hrs during last week of Jun hols since P5.
Last edited by sunflower on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunflower
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MdmKS » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:59 am

Fairy wrote:My child's school practised the opposite. There is only a 3 half-day supplementary lessons at the beginning of the June holiday. In the principal's words: "the teachers, too need a break to recharge". Students are expected to do their own revision at home.

I heard that schools like Henry Park, River Valley & Nan Hua had holiday lessons for their P5 & 6 students for the 1st & last week of June! Some of them engaged external service provider like Maths Olympiad trainers to give their students a boost in their Maths.

My girl in Nan Hua P5 but never engaged in any lesson in June holiday.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support