Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Enrichment or draconian?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Postby wwcookie » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:57 am

jedamum wrote:
wwcookie wrote:I told the tutor to concentrate on getting his school homework done and then do painting or play the many creative / educational games that I have bought for him.

:shock: nowadays, do tutors have to take on the role of a nanny? i thought tutors are supposed to teach subjects?

Heehee.. you are right, jedamum, im looking for a nanny not a tutor but in singapore there's no such thing as a nanny so gotta make do with a tutor instead :oops:

wwcookie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby lizawa » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:29 pm

Heehee.. you are right, jedamum, im looking for a nanny not a tutor but in singapore there's no such thing as a nanny so gotta make do with a tutor instead

So, do you think a "nanny-care" will be a good business opportunity ? I tend to agree that the kids attending school care should be in an environment more like a home, rather than a tuition center. So long as they finish their school homework, they should be given time to play, read books or even surf the internet for older children. With proper supervision, it will definitely be better than leaving them alone at home.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby wwcookie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:53 pm

lizawa wrote:
Heehee.. you are right, jedamum, im looking for a nanny not a tutor but in singapore there's no such thing as a nanny so gotta make do with a tutor instead

So, do you think a "nanny-care" will be a good business opportunity ? I tend to agree that the kids attending school care should be in an environment more like a home, rather than a tuition center. So long as they finish their school homework, they should be given time to play, read books or even surf the internet for older children. With proper supervision, it will definitely be better than leaving them alone at home.

Yup yup its definitely a good business opportunity. But for my case, my mom is at home with him so I just want the "nanny" to just pop in for 1 to 2 hours daily to supervise his homework and do 'creative' stuff with him, things that my mom can't do with him, you know what i mean? Otherwise, he'll be like watching tv the whole day :roll:

wwcookie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby simplyjo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:40 pm

2 of my cousins in P3 & P6 go to after-school care ctr nearby their school. Guess the system work for them since both of them are preforming very well in school, usually in top 20%. They usually finish their schoolwork in the ctr and there are some form of tuition in the ctr too.

Interestingly, both my aunt & uncle are not those well-educated ones, think they did not even complete O'Level! So for them, putting the kids in after-school care is the best solution cos they cannot help much with the kids school work too. But I guess because they are not the well-educated ones, they do not put stress on their kids. My aunt & uncle never have to apply leave to help their children preparing for exam since they cannot help them at all, so they feel it's best leave the children alone instead.

My cousins are the ones requesting for more tuition cos they "feel" they can do better! My aunt told me her kids are the ones giving her stress instead! Wow, I would love to have such children!!!

simplyjo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:03 pm

lizawa wrote:

some childcare centre (like those detached houses type) do have student care. so does that classify as 'school care in a home setting?' :D

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Previous

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres