Besta vs. Creative chinese e-dictionary

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Besta vs. Creative chinese e-dictionary

Postby amylqf » Sat May 23, 2009 11:22 pm

As you know, MOE only allows two model of chinese e-dictionaries to bring into exam hall, Besta and Creative.

I just checked today:
for both besta and creative, net price, no discount, not even for popular card member.

besta: $49.90, promotion price: $39.90
creative: $32

After comparing both, most of the feature are the same, except:
creative: squarish, only black color casing, bigger screen, cheaper, less vocab, no feature in stroke.
besta: rounded & slimmer, colorful casing(silver, pink,blue), smaller screen, more exp, more vocab, showing the stroke, fast imput for 2 words phrases.

Because of the stroke feature, I paid more for besta as sometimes I tends to argue about the stroke with my dd (she is in p1). It is kind of faster way to check rather than boot up the pc and check online.

For those kids in upper primary, might not need to chose besta if they had already know their stroke and use mainly for exam purpose.

Hope my research can benefit others in selecting the e-dictionary. :-D

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Besta vs. Creative chinese e-dictionary

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun May 24, 2009 7:20 am

amylqf wrote:As you know, MOE only allows two model of chinese e-dictionaries to bring into exam hall, Besta and Creative.

I just checked today:
for both besta and creative, net price, no discount, not even for popular card member.

besta: $49.90, promotion price: $39.90
creative: $32

After comparing both, most of the feature are the same, except:
creative: squarish, only black color casing, bigger screen, cheaper, less vocab, no feature in stroke.
besta: rounded & slimmer, colorful casing(silver, pink,blue), smaller screen, more exp, more vocab, showing the stroke, fast imput for 2 words phrases.

Because of the stroke feature, I paid more for besta as sometimes I tends to argue about the stroke with my dd (she is in p1). It is kind of faster way to check rather than boot up the pc and check online.

For those kids in upper primary, might not need to chose besta if they had already know their stroke and use mainly for exam purpose.

Hope my research can benefit others in selecting the e-dictionary. :-D

Thanks amylqf! We have an old review here too. Looks like prices have increased over a year for those e-dictionaries.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Jennifer » Sun May 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Creative can call up 'chengyu' instantly. Besta cannot.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby amylqf » Tue May 26, 2009 12:07 am

I am not sure about the old one, the latest besta have the feature that easily retrieve "chengyu" or "idom".

e.g.

Instead of typing "Ma Ma Hu Hu", just type mmhh, then the idom will come out.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby keithmummy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:42 am

My husband has bought my boy the latest model from Creative. According to him, it's more child proof and battery life is also very long.
Has not used it yet as it is meant to be BD present for my boy next month.

keithmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby summer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:06 pm

The latest version of Creative chinese e-dictionary is shaped like a calculator. It has more vocabularies and idioms. However, the screen and the key pads are smaller. It is also a bit more costly than the old version @$38. I still prefer the old version.

Both the old and new version have the same functions as the besta one--instead of typing "ma ma hu hu", you can just type mmhh.

summer
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby krisvan8 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42 am

Hi

Would like to check as now, which e-dictionery is beta? Besta or Creative?
How much is creavtive now?

TIA! :smile:

krisvan8
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mumworks » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:08 am

$199 Interested ? Pls pm me.

Electronic English and Chinese Dictionary

For more info :
http://www.besta.com.sg/products/cd268S.html

Main Features:
7th edition with approx. 180,000 searchable Words, Phrases and Definitions, as well as approx. 85,000 Sample Sentences
with approx. 4 million Words and 24,300 Phrases and Definitions
with approx. 300,000 searchable words, 43,000 Sample Sentences and provides further information of Word Form, Spelling, Roots, Meaning, Variation, Synonym & Antonym and related words
(Bilingual version) the Prestigious and Standardized Dictionary in Simplified Chinese World, with approx. 64,000 Chinese Phrases
Built in 15 Bahasa Indonesia dictionaries, including English-Indonesian/ Indonesian-English / Indonesian-Indonesian / Indonesian-Chinese / Chinese-Indonesian / Medical / Business / Idioms / Slang / Maths / Physics / Chemistry / Biology / Science / Sports English
Database, including 165 volumes of Terminology and Technical Term Dictionaries compiled by Besta, National Institute for Compilation and Translation (Taiwan), National Science and Technology Term Standard Committee (China), the Best Reference Tool for Professionals, Students and Researchers alike
Downloadable <13 Languages Dictionary>> with Chinese, English, Japanese, Korean, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Indonesian, Vietnamese and Thai, approx. 350,000 Words and Human Voice
Chinese<-> English Sentence Translation and Smart Comparison
Syllable Pronunciation
Powerful Search Engine with Cross-Dictionaries Search
Video and Animated Learning
Chinese Strokes Demonstration
Display in 5 kinds of Font Sizes
Up to 30 cross-search windows
Real Human Demonstration for Phonetics Drill

mumworks
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re:

Postby janet88 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:10 am

amylqf wrote:I am not sure about the old one, the latest besta have the feature that easily retrieve "chengyu" or "idom".

e.g.

Instead of typing "Ma Ma Hu Hu", just type mmhh, then the idom will come out.

We started with besta model first...then tutor told my boy about creative and the ease of use...also saves time during exams. Get it from school during road show. It's cheaper.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sarahteddy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi,

Just my 2-cents worth. Besta can only call for 字,creative e-dict can call词语。词语is better than 字.

sarahteddy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support