Free Primary School Maths Help - You Post I Solve!

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Free Primary School Maths Help - You Post I Solve!

Postby fridayeducation » Mon May 25, 2009 6:50 am

Hello all parents,

After reading through this forum, I realised many parents are teaching their children on their own. Something my parents never had the time to do so when I were young. Therefore, as a form of encouragement to all dedicated parents. I will be providing you help with questions that you have doubts on. (:

You may post the questions here/PM me or email me and I will try my best to solve it at soonest and post the question/answer here so other parents who have doubts on the same type of questions may help their kids too
(but please give me a day to assist you with your questions in case i do not read my mails)

Have a great day.

fridayeducation
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Free Primary School Maths Help - You Post I Solve!

Postby suiyuan » Mon May 25, 2009 2:58 pm

fridayeducation wrote:I will be providing you help with questions that you have doubts on.

You may post the questions here/PM me or email me and I will try my best to solve it at soonest and post the question/answer here so other parents who have doubts on the same type of questions may help their kids too
(but please give me a day to assist you with your questions in case i do not read my mails

Thank you for your offer.You may want to help to answer the following questions.

1)Car A and Car B left Town Y at the same time heading in the opposite directions. Car A headed for Town Z while Car B left for Town X. The speed of Car B was 20 km/h faster than Car A. After 1/2 h, Car A had completed 2/3 of its journey while Car B had completed 1/2 of its journey. The two cars were also 110 km apart.(a) Calculate the speed of Car A (b) How far was Car B from Town X when car A reached its destination?

2)Mr Lee and Mr Tan both drove from Town X to Town Y. Mr Lee started his journey at 10.00 am travelling at an average speed of 75 km/h. Sometime later, Mr Tan started his journey. At 12.00 noon, Mr Tan overtook Mr Lee. When Mr Tan reached Town Y at 2.00 pm, Mr Lee was still 50 km from Town Y. Find (a) Mr Tan's average speed (b) The time at which Mr Tan started his journey

3)Town A and Town B were 600 km apart. At 10.45 am, a lorry travelling at a uniform speed left Town A for Town B. At the same time, a taxi set off from Town B to Town A at a uniform speed which was 12 km/h faster than that of the lorry's. The two vehicles met at 3.45 pm. Find the speed of the taxi.

suiyuan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Mon May 25, 2009 4:48 pm

suiyuan wrote:
Thank you for your offer.You may want to help to answer the following questions.

hi suiyuan,
which level are you looking at? P1/2? P3/4? PSLE?
we have a couple of existing threads and it is easier for members to search by level when looking for challenging questions.

i'm sure the threadstarter don't mind assisting in answering the queries in these threads as well. :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby caroline3sg » Mon May 25, 2009 5:23 pm

they are P6 questions.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasiparent » Mon May 25, 2009 10:02 pm

When Mrs Lee was 40 years old, her son was twice her daughter's age. Mrs Lee will be twice her son's age when her daughter is 28 years old. How old will Mrs Lee be when her daughter is 20 years old?

kiasiparent
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby fridayeducation » Mon May 25, 2009 11:26 pm

kiasiparent wrote:When Mrs Lee was 40 years old, her son was twice her daughter's age. Mrs Lee will be twice her son's age when her daughter is 28 years old. How old will Mrs Lee be when her daughter is 20 years old?

Mrs Lee will be 56 years old when her daughter is 20 years old. I've just got back and had done this by logic and guess & check. perhaps you'll like to let me know what level is your child or is this question intended for so i can prepare a solution catered to the understanding of the level? Thanks.

fridayeducation
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby fridayeducation » Mon May 25, 2009 11:56 pm

suiyuan wrote:

1)Car A and Car B left Town Y at the same time heading in the opposite directions. Car A headed for Town Z while Car B left for Town X. The speed of Car B was 20 km/h faster than Car A. After 1/2 h, Car A had completed 2/3 of its journey while Car B had completed 1/2 of its journey. The two cars were also 110 km apart.(a) Calculate the speed of Car A (b) How far was Car B from Town X when car A reached its destination?

(a) Calculate the speed of Car A

Step 1: State Formuala,

Using Distance = Speed x Time,

Step 2: Equation
110km = 1/2 x (Total Speed)
220km/h = Total Speed (Total speed refers to combined speed of Car A and Car B)
= A's Speed + B's Speed
= A's Speed + A's Speed + 20km/h
200km/h = 2 (A's Speed)
100km/h = A's Speed

(b) How far was Car B from Town X when car A reached its destination?

Step 1: State Formular (Always state formula - not for marks, in case you forget)
Using Distance = Speed x Time

Since Car A,

Time taken to complete 2/3 journey - 1/2 hour
Time taken to complete remaining 1/3 journey - 1/2 hour / 2 = 1/4hour

Car B

Car B's Speed - 100km/h + 20km/h = 120km/h
Distance Car B will travel in 1/4hour - 120 km/h x 1/4h = 30km
Distance from Town Y to Town X - 60km x 2 = 120km
Distance Car B will be from Town X - 120km - 60km - 30km = 30km

fridayeducation
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby fridayeducation » Tue May 26, 2009 12:11 am

suiyuan wrote:
2)Mr Lee and Mr Tan both drove from Town X to Town Y. Mr Lee started his journey at 10.00 am travelling at an average speed of 75 km/h. Sometime later, Mr Tan started his journey. At 12.00 noon, Mr Tan overtook Mr Lee. When Mr Tan reached Town Y at 2.00 pm, Mr Lee was still 50 km from Town Y. Find (a) Mr Tan's average speed (b) The time at which Mr Tan started his journey

Notes (Good to have)

Lee 10am 75km/h

Tan overtook at 12pm reached at 2pm

(a) Mr Tan's average speed

Using Formala, Distance = Speed x Time

At 12pm, Lee travelled - 75k/h x 2h = 150km
At 2pm, Lee travelled - 75km/h x 4h = 300km

Distance between town X and Town Y - (75km/h x 4h) + 50km = 350km
(Reasoning - At 2pm, 4 hours after Lee left Town X, he is still 50km away from Town Y)

At 12pm they met and within 2 hours, Tan reached and Lee is still travelling, in fact we know that Lee is now 50km away. Can we find out Tan's speed now?

Distance Tan travelled between 12pm and 2pm (2hours) - 75km/h x 2h + 50km = 200km
Tan's average speed - 200km / 2h = 100km/h

(b) The time at which Mr Tan started his journey

Using Formala, Distance = Speed x Time
Total time taken for time to reach Town Y from Town X - 350km / 100km/h = 3.5h
Time Tan started his journey - 1400h/2pm - 3h30min = 1030h or 1030am

fridayeducation
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby fridayeducation » Tue May 26, 2009 12:22 am

suiyuan wrote:
3)Town A and Town B were 600 km apart. At 10.45 am, a lorry travelling at a uniform speed left Town A for Town B. At the same time, a taxi set off from Town B to Town A at a uniform speed which was 12 km/h faster than that of the lorry's. The two vehicles met at 3.45 pm. Find the speed of the taxi.

The concept of this concept is the same as that of question 1. Distance and time is provided in this question and then one vehicle is faster than another. In this question, time is provided when they state time vehicles set off and time they met. It is all the same.

As long as DISTANCE & TIME are the given AND they are comparing 2 vehicle's speed (coming/going in opposite direction), this is how you should solve, remember that TOTAL SPEED in this case includes speed for both lorry and taxi.

Using Formula, Distance = Speed x Time

600km = 5h (Total Speed)
120km/h = Total Speed
= Lorry's Speed + Taxi's Speed
= Lorry's Speed + Lorry's Speed + 12km/h
108km/h = Lorry's Speed + Lorry's Speed
54km/h = Lorry's Speed

Taxi's Speed - 54km/h + 12km/h = 66km/h

(To check, always check)

They both travelled 5hours and they met, so the distance they've travelled must add up to distance given, 600km

Lorry's Distance - 5h x 54km/h = 270km
Taxi's Distance - 5h x 66km/h = 330km
Total Distance - 270km + 330km = 600km

fridayeducation
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby suiyuan » Tue May 26, 2009 7:17 am

fridayeducation wrote:
kiasiparent wrote:When Mrs Lee was 40 years old, her son was twice her daughter's age. Mrs Lee will be twice her son's age when her daughter is 28 years old. How old will Mrs Lee be when her daughter is 20 years old?

Mrs Lee will be 56 years old when her daughter is 20 years old. I've just got back and had done this by logic and guess & check. perhaps you'll like to let me know what level is your child or is this question intended for so i can prepare a solution catered to the understanding of the level? Thanks.

Hi
This is a question from P6.

suiyuan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support