RHB- Straits Times Spelling or SMOPS?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

RHB- Straits Times Spelling or SMOPS?

Postby musette » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:44 am

Both the RHB- Straits Times Spelling competition second round and the SMOPS prelim round falls on Saturday, 14 Apr.

If you were the parent, which one would you let your child go to? Aiyoh, why do they have so many things on the same day?

Thanks!

musette
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: RHB- Straits Times Spelling or SMOPS?

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 am

musette wrote:Both the RHB- Straits Times Spelling competition second round and the SMOPS prelim round falls on Saturday, 14 Apr.

If you were the parent, which one would you let your child go to? Aiyoh, why do they have so many things on the same day?

Thanks!

is obvious which one to go

every year the DSA selectiopn test / camp of some schools also always on the same day
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby musette » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:45 am

Thanks vk2010 for your reply.

Errr... it's not obvious to me leh (inexperienced parent here) :scratchhead: . You mean she should go for the SMOPS?

musette
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:19 am

Which one does your child have more passion in? Is he planning to apply for DSA? If so, under which domain? If his DSA domain is English, go for the spelling bee. If it's Math, go for SMOPS. Personally I would choose SMOPS over the spelling bee because it's more prestigious.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby musette » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Which one does your child have more passion in? Is he planning to apply for DSA? If so, under which domain? If his DSA domain is English, go for the spelling bee. If it's Math, go for SMOPS. Personally I would choose SMOPS over the spelling bee because it's more prestigious.

Thanks, I didn't know that SMOPS is more prestigious. She's planning to apply for DSA under GEP.

If I let her choose, she'd go for the spelling bee because it's less work than Maths Olympiad :roll:

musette
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jtoh » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:29 am

musette wrote:

Thanks, I didn't know that SMOPS is more prestigious. She's planning to apply for DSA under GEP.

If I let her choose, she'd go for the spelling bee because it's less work than Maths Olympiad :roll:

In that case, it doesn't really matter whether she chooses spelling bee or SMOPS. If you want to boost her portfolio go for the one she'll excel better in. :wink: Better to have First Prize in Spelling Bee than Honorable Mention in SMOPS right? If you'd like her to enjoy herself, go for the one she likes. :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby musette » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 am

Hi,

Just to update jtoh and vk2010, in the end my dd went for SMOPS. Her classmate in the same dilemma chose the Spelling Bee over SMOPS. Her classmate did well and got into the final round.

Happy to say, my dd also managed to get into the next round of SMOPS! But she didn't get Platinum.....

musette
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:21 am

musette wrote:Hi,

Just to update jtoh and vk2010, in the end my dd went for SMOPS. Her classmate in the same dilemma chose the Spelling Bee over SMOPS. Her classmate did well and got into the final round.

Happy to say, my dd also managed to get into the next round of SMOPS! But she didn't get Platinum.....

ha, thanks for the update

may be she is the 81st
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:36 am

musette wrote:Hi,

That's great that your dd got into the next round of SMOPS. That means she did well. :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support