Dictionaries

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Dictionaries

Postby amylqf » Tue May 26, 2009 12:16 am

Original Title: when is the time to bring dictionary to school?

My girl is in p1.

I am just wondering whether I should buy her a pocket size english-english dictionary to school. When does school require to do that, p3 above?

what about english exam? what kind of dictionary do they allow to bring in exam hall (for chinese comp, I know can bring either besta or creative editionary, english leh?)

Can anyone recommend a good handy dictionary (not too heavy one).
Brand and price?

Thanks in advance

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MoonFlower » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:40 am

Just my sharing.....Usually around P3, teachers will ask for both Eng and chin dictionaries. For chinese compo exam using of dictionary will be in p5,p6 can only check the words. There is a list approved by MOE, the school will advised you for the latest updated list. I think for english, oxford orcollins should be ok. Try not to get too small as the prints will be small and not good for the children eye sights.

MoonFlower
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby smum » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:01 pm

My P2 son is very lazy. When reading story books and he does not know the words, he will normally skip over the words and refused to check the meaning in the dictionary. That's why during the parent-teacher review for term2, the teacher comments that his reading grade is only at P1.

I'm thinking of getting those electronic dictionary. I think just need to key in the word and the electronic dictionary will pronounce the word plus provide the meaning. Thought it will help my son pick up his reading skills. Is that a good idea?

smum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MoonFlower » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi ,I also have a Besta, find it very useful and easy. But of course it also nto cheap. Anyway this is just more home use as in school not allow and like I said not cheap, later my ds might lost it. Still for school, you need a dictionary, we bought a Collin dictonary which comes with a CD so you can also listen to the pronounciation, I do know some websites also have this function.

MoonFlower
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby smum » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:16 am

Hi, MoonFlower. Which Besta model did you get? There are so many and it ranges from $100 to $800!

And which Collin dictionary did you get? We have a Oxford Primary Dictorary but found that we cannot find some words. Thanks.

smum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MoonFlower » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:09 pm

Sorry for late reply,
Mine is CD -618 pro. i think no longer selling this model. For my ds he brings the oxford blue small but not those pocket size for school. He leaves it in his locker.

MoonFlower
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby smum » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Thanks for the Besta model. And you are right, they dont seem to have this model now. Will check around and see which one is more appropriate. Thanks.

smum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MoonFlower » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:03 pm

Don't mention.

MoonFlower
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

recommend English and chinese dictionary for P1?

Postby mumjas » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:51 am

[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

can someone recommend which english and chinese dictionary for P1. thanks.

mumjas
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: recommend English and chinese dictionary for P1?

Postby schellen » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:37 pm

mumjas wrote:can someone recommend which english and chinese dictionary for P1. thanks.

You can try this thread: http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... dictionary

As for Chinese dictionary, I use Besta e-dict and also one more printed version. Need to go home to check title.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support