Hindi exams conducted in different schools every semester.

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Hindi exams conducted in different schools every semester.

Postby pupilview » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:43 pm

I am not sure how many parents are there in this forum whose sons/daughters take Hindi as the mother-tongue. I find it very distressing that primary kids are made to travel very far just to give SA1(orals and written papers). Poor kids from Tampines/CCK/Lakeside(in fact any part of Singapore) have to travel to Toa Payoh just to give their SA1 exams. Do you think this is fair to kids?? Why can't the MOE conduct the exams in the schools where they study itself?? What do you think about the Hindi standard- even in India the standard of Hindi is not this high. What does MOE want these kids to become - Hindi poets??
Why can't MOE centralize the place of the Hindi exams instead of making parents/kids run to different schools to give Hindi exams every semester if they insist that only Hindi mother-tongue should be conducted as a board exam??

pupilview
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Hindi exams conducted in different schools every semeste

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:32 pm

pupilview wrote:I am not sure how many parents are there in this forum whose sons/daughters take Hindi as the mother-tongue. I find it very distressing that primary kids are made to travel very far just to give SA1(orals and written papers). Poor kids from Tampines/CCK/Lakeside(in fact any part of Singapore) have to travel to Toa Payoh just to give their SA1 exams. Do you think this is fair to kids?? Why can't the MOE conduct the exams in the schools where they study itself?? What do you think about the Hindi standard- even in India the standard of Hindi is not this high. What does MOE want these kids to become - Hindi poets??
Why can't MOE centralize the place of the Hindi exams instead of making parents/kids run to different schools to give Hindi exams every semester if they insist that only Hindi mother-tongue should be conducted as a board exam??

I-know-what-u-mean!

Where is your child taking Hindi - Hindi Society or DAV?
Not much difference anyway.

Tired of ranting , its feels like this :stupid:

To check the answer script , we travelled to Toa payoh on a weekday evening. Every exam.

My DD and her classmates would go to the exam centra at the stated time of 8:00 am whe the actual exam started after 9:00 am. They let kids stroll in even at 8:45.
For oral exams, they report at , 8:00 and their school kids got the turn at 2:30pm. One recess only, no lunch.
:stompfeet: :stompfeet:

This year even mock paper was at exam centre.

Frankly things have improved now. Atleast the books are better. But sadly, teacher quality, and organisation is far from acceptable standards

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pupilview » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:50 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:
pupilview wrote:I am not sure how many parents are there in this forum whose sons/daughters take Hindi as the mother-tongue. I find it very distressing that primary kids are made to travel very far just to give SA1(orals and written papers). Poor kids from Tampines/CCK/Lakeside(in fact any part of Singapore) have to travel to Toa Payoh just to give their SA1 exams. Do you think this is fair to kids?? Why can't the MOE conduct the exams in the schools where they study itself?? What do you think about the Hindi standard- even in India the standard of Hindi is not this high. What does MOE want these kids to become - Hindi poets??

I-know-what-u-mean!

Where is your child taking Hindi - Hindi Society or DAV?
Not much difference anyway.

Tired of ranting , its feels like this :stupid:

To check the answer script , we travelled to Toa payoh on a weekday evening. Every exam.

My DD and her classmates would go to the exam centra at the stated time of 8:00 am whe the actual exam started after 9:00 am. They let kids stroll in even at 8:45.
For oral exams, they report at , 8:00 and their school kids got the turn at 2:30pm. One recess only, no lunch.
:stompfeet: :stompfeet:

This year even mock paper was at exam centre.

Frankly things have improved now. Atleast the books are better. But sadly, teacher quality, and organisation is far from acceptable standards

My child has the Hindi mother-tongue class conducted by D.A V in her school.
Last Saturday(March 31) was the worst. A rainy day and no taxis available.Majority of the kids were late due to traffic jams. Why can't the kids take exams in the school itself just like Tamil/Malay/Chinese?? Why Hindi is conducted like some board exam??

pupilview
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:42 pm

pupilview wrote:
My child has the Hindi mother-tongue class conducted by D.A V in her school.
Last Saturday(March 31) was the worst. A rainy day and no taxis available.Majority of the kids were late due to traffic jams. Why can't the kids take exams in the school itself just like Tamil/Malay/Chinese?? Why Hindi is conducted like some board exam??

My daughter had a teacher from Hindi Society coming down to school too.
It is a big headache this travelling twice every sememster for the exam.

Its not only for Hindi- it is for all Non-Tamil Indian Languages . They had is done about 5-6 years ago, previously these marks were not even entered in the report book in school . This was done to ensure that the exams are conducted with due diligence . After this was introduced , the marks are now a part of the school report book.

The structure is very rigid now, and organisational ability of the Hindi society not upto mark. Sigh!

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:35 am

:yikes: Didn't know kids n parents have to be put up with these! I mean - it is not like Hindi is a foreign language, is it?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pupilview » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:29 am

concern2 wrote:

:yikes: Didn't know kids n parents have to be put up with these! I mean - it is not like Hindi is a foreign language, is it?

Looks like those in MOE don't have kids. Its time for parents to send in a letter collectively highlighting the plight.The worst thing is that the location of the exam changes every semester.

pupilview
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby vividlaurel » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:38 am

Hi,

My children also take Hindi as MT. In their case, their school refuses to have the hindi classes in the school as there are not enough students! So every saturday they go to a DAV centre from 8:30 to 12:30.

Last year at the results time, me and a friend met the head of the BTTSAL/DAV and explained to him that this was creating so much stress for students. But from their point of view, this was needed as this was the only way MOE was going to give approval to the non-Tamil languages as in the previous years when exams were conducted in centres, there were many cases of where teachers helped students write the exams.

The guy did say that they are looking at improving things, but guess this will take a while.

I totally agree the standard of hindi is very high here, especially since most of the children do not speak the language at home and outside of the school. In India there are so many opportunities to speak the language but here, they just want to speak English! How do you people ensure that your kids speak Hindi? I'd love to hear....

vividlaurel
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby concern2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:47 pm

According to my understanding, only Chinese (Mandarin), Malay and Tamil are considered Mother Tongues in Singapore, and are offered in the public schools the children study in. So Hindi is not Tamil? Of course, English is the compulsory language. Other languages are likely to be considered a foreign language.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vividlaurel » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:04 pm

In addition to Chinese, Malay and Tamil, children can opt to take non tamil Indian languages like Hindi, the most popular one, Gujarati, Punjabi, Bengali, Malayalam and Urdu. There is an agency called BTTSAL which prepares the curriculum for these languages and they fall under MOE.

If your child is going to be taking one of the BTTSAL languages, you need to fill up a form and send it to your child's school and MOE will endorse this. The children take exams outside the school and the results will be sent to the schools and this will be reflected in their report files.

So children who take Hindi for example are not taking any foreign language and in fact will take this language right upto their A levels.

Hope this clears your misunderstanding.
concern2 wrote:According to my understanding, only Chinese (Mandarin), Malay and Tamil are considered Mother Tongues in Singapore, and are offered in the public schools the children study in. So Hindi is not Tamil? Of course, English is the compulsory language. Other languages are likely to be considered a foreign language.

vividlaurel
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby concern2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:11 pm

vividlaurel wrote:In addition to Chinese, Malay and Tamil, children can opt to take non tamil Indian languages like Hindi, the most popular one, Gujarati, Punjabi, Bengali, Malayalam and Urdu. There is an agency called BTTSAL which prepares the curriculum for these languages and they fall under MOE.

If your child is going to be taking one of the BTTSAL languages, you need to fill up a form and send it to your child's school and MOE will endorse this. The children take exams outside the school and the results will be sent to the schools and this will be reflected in their report files.

So children who take Hindi for example are not taking any foreign language and in fact will take this language right upto their A levels.

Hope this clears your misunderstanding.

Wow, thanks for your clarifications. Wow, If the Chinese languages hadn't been standardized long ago to what is left today, MOE would have bigger headache :laugh: . Would think that MOE has done some favors to endorse so many other languages in the first place.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support