no sci tuition, can??

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

no sci tuition, can??

Postby 24hr-mum » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:11 am

is it possible to get A* by self study thru exam pprs and assessment bk, without sci tuition? even tho we parents hv no sci backgrd??

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: no sci tuition, can??

Postby Nebbermind » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:52 am

I guess using the right revision assessment books will help alot. Some books expain why the answers r chosen even though the rest of the choices seems correct.
Everyone who have gone thru psle n O will have some sce backgrd...we can always attempt the same question using our logical reasoning n when we get it wrong, ask the child to expain why this n not that. If he can explain convincingly, then you will know that the child has a good grasp of the concept. Otherwise continue to work on the topic n that type of qns

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:41 pm

24hr-mum wrote:is it possible to get A* by self study thru exam pprs and assessment bk, without sci tuition? even tho we parents hv no sci backgrd??

From P3-5, my son did many assessment books. He passed...but couldn't get past 70 marks :sad: somehow, we just didn't have any technique to teach. I was very worried he couldn't get at least A for PSLE. Finally, I made the call to bring in tutor.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iFirefly » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:13 am

24hr-mum wrote:is it possible to get A* by self study thru exam pprs and assessment bk, without sci tuition? even tho we parents hv no sci backgrd??

Yes.. my DS1 had tuition only for English and only for one year in P6.. and he got 4 A* in his PSLE last year.
No.. for my DS2, who is in P4 this year.
So.. it depends on the child, and we should know our child best.

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby blessed777 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:18 am

firefly38 wrote:

Yes.. my DS1 had tuition only for English and only for one year in P6.. and he got 4 A* in his PSLE last year.
No.. for my DS2, who is in P4 this year.
So.. it depends on the child, and we should know our child best.

As for my dd it depends on her interest. When first time learning sci at p3-p4 she was crazy abt sci n i hv nothing to do with this, never taught her sci etc, she borrowed sci books in library from time to time to satisfy her hunger n google sci articles to read n i hv to scold her to stop when she spent too much time reading sci articles. She scored above 90 but she did what she did out of hunger n interest not because of score hence her score went up and down according to her interest, when the topic is not so interesting to her the score drop arround 60-70. But now i remind her that study for psle is a must , should not depend on her mood anymore... However her sci score since p5 hs not yet recover to it used to be :pray:

blessed777
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Jasmy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:16 am

My dd has sci tuition in P5 by smart lab but after a year, still no sight of improvement. I have engaged a sci private tutor for her and hopefully will see the improvement. And yes, I do agree that some kids can score A* even without tuition for sci. It really depends on the child. As for mine, I do not want to take risk since this is her plse yr. Moreover, this is her request.

Jasmy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Fat Mama » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Science is also a tricky subject and answers require certain standard keywords and process skills.
If kids are provided with good resources, they can study on their own. But where to get the right resources to help them score A*?
My DS scored A* without tuition but he attended the 3 months PSLE revision/preparation lessons. I think that helps.

Fat Mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby iFirefly » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Fat Mama wrote:Science is also a tricky subject and answers require certain standard keywords and process skills.
If kids are provided with good resources, they can study on their own. But where to get the right resources to help them score A*?
My DS scored A* without tuition but he attended the 3 months PSLE revision/preparation lessons. I think that helps.

Wow.. May I ask which PSLE Preparation course did your DS attend?
Paisey.. Asking in advance for my DS2, who may not get A*, even with tuition... :oops:

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fightingmom » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:08 pm

IMHO , Science unlike Maths which you can practice and practice... The child needs to understand the concept, apply the concept and use the correct key words that teachers are looking for when they are marking the papers (section B).

Also recent PSLE Science questions are no longer "straight to the point". Sections B questions usually has 2-3 parts to it (part (a), (b) or sometimes (c) ). The child has to "link" the concepts and scaffold it to question (b) and (c). For me, since this year my DD is taking PSLE, I didn't want to take the chance ! :sweat:

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24hr-mum » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:06 pm

whc tuitn ctr gd?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support