CCA in Primary School - Advice needed

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

CCA in Primary School - Advice needed

Postby usaik » Sat May 30, 2009 8:46 am

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. I basically need some advice on CCA in P School and hope experienced parents out there can share your views.

My son came home wanting to join the school band this week. He is currently in P2. The CCA will take up 2 afternoons every week. On these 2 days, if he joins, he will need to leave home by 6.40am and reach home only between 5-6pm. He will also need to manage his own lunches in school on these 2 days every week.

The school commented that the CCA will help the child in having an edge in the sec school admission through DSA. But I am not sure if is it worth taking this route? Does any of you have children joining school's CCA? What are the motivation factors that make you allow your child to take up a CCA? What are the benefits you see after/when you child take up the CCA?

Appreciate your view and advice. Thanks!

usaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:27 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby schellen » Sat May 30, 2009 9:21 am

I think you are worried mainly cos he chose the band. If he chose a less active/prominent CCA, then, he won't have to spend so much time in sch. All band CCAs in sch are intensive CCAs. They must have more practices than non-performing arts CCAs becos they perform in sch concerts, sch functions like Open House, community functions (to boost sch's community involvement) and SYF.

If you want to know more about band as CCA or CCA in general, just let me know. ^_^

(Sorry, DD is bugging me pass PC to her now so that she can do her holiday HW.)

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:17 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby jedamum » Sat May 30, 2009 9:36 am

schellen wrote: All band CCAs in sch are intensive CCAs.

usaik
personally, if you feel that the kid will enjoy them and have the discipline in handling the work, why not? after all, they sch is teaching the kid a musical instrument FOC! imagine....music classes fees saved!
if the kid cannot handle the workload, surely the parents have the option to withdraw the kid from the cca.

(my first choice pri sch for ds1 is actually partly cos they have Band as cca. :wink:...too bad...never get to ballot :P)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 8514
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Total Likes: 20


Postby turquoise » Sat May 30, 2009 10:42 am

The most important thing to consider is will your child enjoy the CCA? If it is his choice and he loves music, I say go for it. Let him explore what he enjoys doing while he is still in lower primary when schoolwork isn't that heavy-going. If he enjoys it, he will not find it a chore and he will also learn time management skills.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 7:34 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby usaik » Sat May 30, 2009 11:02 am

Hi schellen, jedamum, turquoise,
Thanks for the advice. I am keen to let ds try out. But dh doesn't think like wise due to the long hours and the high probablity that he would end up eating junk food for lunches in school. So trying very hard to see if there is any strong value proposition from experienced parents here to work out the pros and cons.

Hi Schellen,
I would really appreciate if you could share both information on band as CCA or CCA in general! Thanks.

usaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:27 am
Total Likes: 0



Postby turquoise » Sat May 30, 2009 11:06 am

usaik wrote:Hi schellen, jedamum, turquoise,
Thanks for the advice. I am keen to let ds try out. But dh doesn't think like wise due to the long hours and the high probablity that he would end up eating junk food for lunches in school. So trying very hard to see if there is any strong value proposition from experienced parents here to work out the pros and cons.

Hi Schellen,
I would really appreciate if you could share both information on band as CCA or CCA in general! Thanks.


When my child stayed back regularly for CCAs in P1 and P2 I brought her lunch. That way I made sure she had a nutritious lunch and more importantly, she ate. Kids sometimes forget to eat lunch because the queue's too long, they're having too much fun playing with their friends or they don't have enough time.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 7:34 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: CCA in Primary School - Advice needed

Postby phankao » Sat May 30, 2009 12:31 pm

usaik wrote:My son came home wanting to join the school band this week. He is currently in P2. The CCA will take up 2 afternoons every week. On these 2 days, if he joins, he will need to leave home by 6.40am and reach home only between 5-6pm. He will also need to manage his own lunches in school on these 2 days every week.

The school commented that the CCA will help the child in having an edge in the sec school admission through DSA. But I am not sure if is it worth taking this route? Does any of you have children joining school's CCA? What are the motivation factors that make you allow your child to take up a CCA? What are the benefits you see after/when you child take up the CCA?


HAHAHA!!! This so reminds me of my elder son when he was in p1. 1st, he comes home one day in Term 4 with a form, asking to join the String Ensemble. I was so shocked. I'd nv in my life thot of having this son learn music, and of all instruments, that "ee-ee-orh-orh" violin? *gulp*. He said he was sure. I got his commitment to it, he seemed sensible, so I signed the form. Several weeks later...he came home with yet another form - for school band! You must think I'm crazy but i signed that too. I'd found out that all these forms, he has to specially go and look for the tr-in-charge after the announcements are made, to get the forms, so not a small feat for a p1 boy, so he really must've been interested.

So this boy did both band n strings from p2 onwards. No problem, the 1st few times i went to school to make sure he knew how/where to get food n what to do/where to go. After that, i left him on his own and he was fine. Had CCA 3x a week as a result. He loved it. But by p4, he dropped band eventually bc according to him "p4 already, must spend more time on studies, and I do better with violin anyway". He's now in p6 and after learning violin for 4yrs, is doing gr8. He wants to try DSA, but oh well, it's really competitive but will audition nevertheless.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 6


Postby EN » Sat May 30, 2009 4:04 pm

HAHAHA!!! This so reminds me of my elder son when he was in p1. 1st, he comes home one day in Term 4 with a form, asking to join the String Ensemble. I was so shocked. I'd nv in my life thot of having this son learn music, and of all instruments, that "ee-ee-orh-orh" violin? *gulp*. He said he was sure. I got his commitment to it, he seemed sensible, so I signed the form. Several weeks later...he came home with yet another form - for school band! You must think I'm crazy but i signed that too. I'd found out that all these forms, he has to specially go and look for the tr-in-charge after the announcements are made, to get the forms, so not a small feat for a p1 boy, so he really must've been interested.

So this boy did both band n strings from p2 onwards. No problem, the 1st few times i went to school to make sure he knew how/where to get food n what to do/where to go. After that, i left him on his own and he was fine. Had CCA 3x a week as a result. He loved it. But by p4, he dropped band eventually bc according to him "p4 already, must spend more time on studies, and I do better with violin anyway". He's now in p6 and after learning violin for 4yrs, is doing gr8. He wants to try DSA, but oh well, it's really competitive but will audition nevertheless.


When I read this, I feel so guilty. DS wanted to learn violin and I told him, lets wait for CCA to start and he can join violin in school. For me, it saves money and time rather than weekend music classes. Suddenly early this year, he brought back the CCA form and wanted me to sign the consent form. Read through the form, it states, he must sit for ABRSM exams. :!: It was a very difficult decision & I am not sure if he has hard feeling about it. I decided against him learning violin in school. If it is for fun, it's okay. But having 2 ABRSMs (piano & violin) to sit for, I can't imagine how topsy turvy his life will be. :( I do hope I make the right decision to not let him take up violin. It does make me feel bad when my father adds on that my grandfather used to be an excellent violionist. :cry:

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:06 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby acforfamily » Sat May 30, 2009 4:24 pm

Personally, I let my kid join whatever he wants ( subject to time constraint since he wants to join everything!) I feel that it is the best way to expose him to new things (and in my case, cheaper than enrichment courses externally too). As long as he enjoys it, I see no harm since your kid is still young, should be able to spare the time for him to try.

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:33 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby phankao » Sat May 30, 2009 4:41 pm

EN wrote:When I read this, I feel so guilty. DS wanted to learn violin and I told him, lets wait for CCA to start and he can join violin in school. For me, it saves money and time rather than weekend music classes. Suddenly early this year, he brought back the CCA form and wanted me to sign the consent form. Read through the form, it states, he must sit for ABRSM exams. :!: It was a very difficult decision & I am not sure if he has hard feeling about it. I decided against him learning violin in school. If it is for fun, it's okay. But having 2 ABRSMs (piano & violin) to sit for, I can't imagine how topsy turvy his life will be. :( I do hope I make the right decision to not let him take up violin. It does make me feel bad when my father adds on that my grandfather used to be an excellent violionist. :cry:


But the exams are only as *stressful* as you allow the child to feel. Unless your child gets stressed over exams himself.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 6


Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support