Frequency of Math Practices

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Frequency of Math Practices

Postby Joy » Sun May 31, 2009 9:43 am

Hi all

Can I just check, how do you schedule math practise for p4 to p5 children?Do you make them practise topic by topic problem sums or just school paper?what is the right way in doing it?thanks

Joy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hipparent » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:23 pm

Well firstly you should teach them topic by topic to give them a good foundation.

hipparent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:27 pm

For my students, I will cover the topic first. Basics, followed my challenging questions. Once they've covered enough topics, I'll give some practice papers (around 1 per subject per week). Around 1-2 month before mid yr exams, we would have covered all topics for exam, I'll start giving more practice papers (2-3 per week).

At the pace I'm teaching them, most of my students who start in Jan are able to finish around 3-5 different books (2 topic by topic, 2 problem solving and 1 advanced maths for higher ability students) plus the whole set of exam papers.

If you set a steady pace, it's quite easy to complete. My students normally complete the topic by topic during lesson and they have around 3 - 5 pages of work per day. I always tell them to be disciplined and do some everyday to spread out the work and don't do work at the last minute. You can tell from their handwriting and answers if the work was completed at the last minute.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support