Dictionary for Primary school students

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Dictionary for Primary school students

Postby junemum72 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Anyone can recommend a good english dictionary for primary school kids? Is there a different for lower and upper primary? Do we need to buy one for lower primary and another for upper primary?

Thanks in advance !! :smile:

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Dictionary for Primary school students

Postby hquek » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:07 pm

we have ipad at home so I'm just using the dictionary apps (for both chinese and english actually).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby junemum72 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:10 pm

hquek wrote:we have ipad at home so I'm just using the dictionary apps (for both chinese and english actually).

Errrr...we don't have ipad :(

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby anatta » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:58 pm

If you or your child has an Android phone,there is a English offline dictionary app available in the Google Play Store(Android Market). Offline meaning that it enables you to check for the definition of words without an internet connection but you can choose to do so as the app allows you to switch between offline and online mode. In my opinion, this app definitely comes in handy. :wink:
My girl downloaded this app and uses it whenever she has a need to without an internet connection.

anatta
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby junemum72 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks Anatta.

Anyone knows of any apps for iphone?

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby fightingmom » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:49 am

junemum72 wrote:Thanks Anatta.

Anyone knows of any apps for iphone?

You can download quite a few:

Cambridge advanced dictionary (this one I think need to pay)
The Cambridge Thesaurus
Merriam-Webster
Dictionary.com

For Chinese-English dictionary, you may try
KTdict C-E

Cheers !

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Dictionary for Primary/Secondary school students

Postby tinkfirst » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi, any parents have recommendations on the types of good electronic dictionaries? I hope to get one for my p1 & p6 to share. Hopefully can use beyond primary levels. Bilingual or not also can. Pls give some suggestions and prices too and where to get is cheaper. TIA

tinkfirst
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby steventay » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:56 am

anatta wrote:If you or your child has an Android phone,there is a English offline dictionary app available in the Google Play Store(Android Market). Offline meaning that it enables you to check for the definition of words without an internet connection but you can choose to do so as the app allows you to switch between offline and online mode. In my opinion, this app definitely comes in handy. :wink:
My girl downloaded this app and uses it whenever she has a need to without an internet connection.

Can they bring phme to the school?

steventay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Zappy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:12 pm

There is an approved MOE dictionary list for school use, so not everything can be used in schools.
And no, typically, phones are not allowed in schools/ classrooms. So using an phone app would not be an option for school. But can still use at home, of course.

http://www.seab.gov.sg/content/dictiona ... ctList.pdf

Zappy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support