My Boy not interested in Tution

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

My Boy not interested in Tution

Postby wsjjsl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:58 am

Hi,

Need advice as my boy is not interest in tution. He don't pay attention and also refuse to do work given by the tutor.

His english and chinese is not good so I don't know what to do other than to give him tution.

My daughter is also under this same tutor but she is doing well. Now my tutor is hinting not to teach my boy.

What should I do now? :cry:

wsjjsl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:18 am

Hi,

As parents we must understand that not all children will be interested in academics. Some of them simply find academic subjects a chore and prefer to be doing something else.

I've encountered many children who are like that. Some are receptive to the 'soft approach' of rewarding and parising, but some need the 'hard approach' of a strict and fierce tutor.

I'm not sure how your tutor has tried to motivate him but you can help by offering rewards if he completes his work or manages sit still for an extended period of time. Another alternative is to make the lessons alive and interesting.

May I know how old is your boy? Some children are very competitive and if you tell them that they are having tuition to help them score high marks, they might be more motivated.

I have a variety of students who respond to different methods to motivate them. So far I've only encountered 1 'hard-core' case who refuse to do my work even with the parents monitoring her closely. However, her grades did improve by 1 band after 6 months of tuition.

Most importantly is to be patient with your boy. Boys tend to be more playful so you need to set rules with him (play time vs study time). :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasiparent » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:22 am

Your tutor is a loser. How can he/she give up on teaching one student?

Sack the tutor and tell him/her that you can find a tutor who is willing to teach and motivate any students.

kiasiparent
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby wsjjsl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:54 am

mrswongtuition wrote:Hi,

As parents we must understand that not all children will be interested in academics. Some of them simply find academic subjects a chore and prefer to be doing something else.

I've encountered many children who are like that. Some are receptive to the 'soft approach' of rewarding and parising, but some need the 'hard approach' of a strict and fierce tutor.

I'm not sure how your tutor has tried to motivate him but you can help by offering rewards if he completes his work or manages sit still for an extended period of time. Another alternative is to make the lessons alive and interesting.

May I know how old is your boy? Some children are very competitive and if you tell them that they are having tuition to help them score high marks, they might be more motivated.

I have a variety of students who respond to different methods to motivate them. So far I've only encountered 1 'hard-core' case who refuse to do my work even with the parents monitoring her closely. However, her grades did improve by 1 band after 6 months of tuition.

Most importantly is to be patient with your boy. Boys tend to be more playful so you need to set rules with him (play time vs study time). :)

Hi,

He is 7 yrs old this yr. I understand from my daughter that the tutor will reward them with small things if they complete the work given by her.

However, this does not seems to work for long. From what you have written, he should be the type that need a strict and fierce tutor.

After reading what you have mentioned, I don't feel so a lone now as it seems that my son is not the only one who is having this issue.

wsjjsl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby wsjjsl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:56 am

kiasiparent wrote:Your tutor is a loser. How can he/she give up on teaching one student?

Sack the tutor and tell him/her that you can find a tutor who is willing to teach and motivate any students.

Hi, not sure what to do now as I've just changed to this tutor about a month ago.

wsjjsl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:57 am

Hi again,

At age 7, most children have limited attention spans. Most of my P1 students are not able to sit through tuition without fidgeting or playing. I try my best to make lessons fun and interesting, sometime using games to do Maths with them.

Don't be discouraged but continue to encourage your son. Does he have exams at P1 for his school? If no, it's harder for him to understand the concept of needing to excel academically.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wsjjsl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:18 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:Hi again,

At age 7, most children have limited attention spans. Most of my P1 students are not able to sit through tuition without fidgeting or playing. I try my best to make lessons fun and interesting, sometime using games to do Maths with them.

Don't be discouraged but continue to encourage your son. Does he have exams at P1 for his school? If no, it's harder for him to understand the concept of needing to excel academically.

Yes, he does have exam in the 2nd half. I am not so worried about his maths as he gets high marks for it. It's the English and Chinese that is not good. He can't read and thus unable to do his test.

wsjjsl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby wsjjsl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:44 pm

wsjjsl wrote:
mrswongtuition wrote:Hi again,

Yes, he does have exam in the 2nd half. I am not so worried about his maths as he gets high marks for it. It's the English and Chinese that is not good. He can't read and thus unable to do his test.

my tutor just mentioned again that she don't want to teach my son. really at a lost now. :cry:

wsjjsl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:46 pm

If his English is poor, you should be worried for his Maths too as not being able to understand the problem sum will cause him to lose out.

Since your tutor has no interest in teaching him, maybe it's good for you to find another tutor and state that your boy needs a patient tutor who can motivate him.

*Do you any of your realise that sometimes what you type is not what you post? Seems like some words will change on their own even though I vet through my post 3-4 times before I post?*
Last edited by mrswongtuition on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: My Boy not interested in Tution

Postby jedamum » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:34 pm

wsjjsl wrote:Need advice as my boy is not interest in tution. He don't pay attention and also refuse to do work given by the tutor.

My daughter is also under this same tutor but she is doing well.

my personal opinion:-
1. he may be demoralised by his slower progress as compared to the sis - 'wa...the tutor talk so nicely to sis but not to me', 'i can never live up to my sis' standard' etc etc.
2. he may be happier learning in a group where he has friends of the same age group and gender to learn with.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support