E Learning Assessment - Go easel etc etc.

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

E Learning Assessment - Go easel etc etc.

Postby jedamum » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:47 am

Any one bought Go Easel or similar learning packages for lower primary use?
Is it good?
Thanks.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: E Learning Assessment - Go easel etc etc.

Postby jedamum » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:31 pm

No one bought?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mowmow » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:28 pm

I bought it for P4, but it is grossly underutilized by my boys. Think it is only good for English MCQs and for Science revision notes. For Maths, still better to do it the old fashion way as you will still need to do workings, etc. Think if I ever buy it gain, will only buy for English and Chinese if it becomes available.

mowmow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks mowmow.
Am exploring getting it for my p1 next year.
Any more feed back?
My husband is concern that the kid may just random click any answer just to get it marked. Do they have any rewards or options inthe programme?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mowmow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:36 am

Guess every system has its limitations. Kids can even submit a worksheet that he/she has not attempted, and the system will still mark it in go easel. On top of that, the child can actually attempt a worksheet numerous times, so some children may take the easy way out by submitting a w/s without doing, get the answers from the system through marking, and redoing the worksheet again by memorizing the answers. So, guess it depends on the integrity of the child who is doing it.

Actually, I did not consider all these factors when I bought go-easel. My only intention then was to be more environmental friendly as it was always horrendous to note how many of the assessment books I had bought went to waste at year end, with the majority of them left untouched at all! Though my boys, aside from doing homework from their enrichment classes, do not like to do assessment exercises at home, I do not feel comfortable not stocking up on assessment books, so I thought an online system should entice them more as they are very tech savy. But, I was wrong, it only kept them interested for a week or two. After that, the Samsung tab which I invested on just for go-easel became yet another gaming tool of theirs. Apart from that, as the titles in go-easel are only those by EPH, you will still need to buy those assessment books by other publishers. So, I guess, it is not really recommendable...

mowmow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks mowmow for your feedback.
Guess we still have to rely on traditional means.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:38 pm

jedamum wrote:Thanks mowmow for your feedback.
Guess we still have to rely on traditional means.

Hi jedamum the training of the brain when practising on an e-learning platform and the traditional means are different. Need to manage the addiction to e-learning which is more fun and fast-paced compared to working on exam papers and assessments or areas like essay writing and open ended questions will be affected. Just my humble opinion based on my experience. My kids are older so it is less of a problem for me now.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:34 am

Hi all
Thanks for the feed back.
I am attracted to the instant marking hence prompt feedback for the kid as I am usually tied up by housework or ds1 to attend to ds2. His homework load is given by per week which he diligently finishes, but I am usually late in marking.
Hence thinking about using instant feedback platform.
Guess I have to be more disciplined. :sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby teypeckhoon12 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:57 pm

i bought go-easel awhile ago, i find it okay, just like using a PDF, but on iPad. the price is comparable, its auto-marking did help, I do have a problem monitoring what my child is doing on iPad though, :sweat: coz it's so easy for him to hide programs/games just with a button click, so sometimes i have to monitor his use sitting side by side.

i doubt any other Singapore publishers came up with their own e-assessment books leh, except this Koobits thingy my kid's school is using. the listening comprehension papers good Ang Moh voice, but not enough problem sums and science books i feel.

teypeckhoon12
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sensugan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi,
Is it possible to access the Go Easel in I-Pad.May I know how to access?.Thanks

sensugan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support