Back to back tuition lessons/school

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Back to back tuition lessons/school

Postby jedamum » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi parents,
Any of your kids having back to back tuition on weekends
Or tuition before weekday school for afternoon session?
Is it taxing on the child?

Thanks.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Back to back tuition lessons/school

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:47 pm

My DC are.
Monday and Wednesday CCA till 5.15pm. T
Tuesday supplementary class till 4.15pm. Swimming 5.30pm-6.30pm. Maths 7.30pm-9.30pm.
Thursday Conversational Malay till 4.15pm.
Friday 3pm-4pm Piano. 7.30pm-8.30pm. Piano. Different teachers.
Saturday 9am-3.15pm Music Talent Development Program, 4pm-7pm Chinese. Sunday 9.30am-11am English, 2pm-5pm Maths/Science.

The timings above exclude travelling time.

No complaints from kids. They are used to it.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks for sharing.
My boy is currently having a class at 9am sunday slot. At the same centre, they also offer another subject class 15min after the first class ends. I am concern about concentration level. But the plus point is if I take up this sunday second class, I can drop his saturday afternoon class at another centre. Saves time and logistics.

Then come my younger boy. Saturday start off with piano, one hour later has math class. I want him to take up english class as his english is not so good. That class is 1.5hours from math class dismissal. He refused to quit his math class. :sweat: though we feel that his foundation is alreamww good, but it keeping him interested.

Then we also have the option of english class before his afternoon school or after.

So we are concern if it will be tiring. Hope to see more sharing.

Thanks.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby 711mum » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi Jedamum,

My dd has a CL class on Sun from 1.30 to 3.30pm follow by a piano class from 3.30 to 4.30pm within same building, back to back, no break in-between. Can be tiring at the beginning but soon gotten use to it.

I notice your DS already has piano class before Maths and you are considering fittng in English now, can be phyiscally and mentally exhausting for his age. It would be a waste of time and money if he is not in the state to retain the newly acquired knowledge. I have dropped off the idea of fitting in a EL class on Sun morning for same reason. JMHO

711mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks 711mum
Yes. He has piano, math in the morning. To add, we commute by bus and foot.
Dh is not keen to slot morning or evening class on a friday due to school. But I thought school hardly teach, more for play. Lol.
For ds1,he said after sunday morning class, he feels tired, partly use brain power, partly saturday night sleep late due to outing. Sohe prefers to split his two subjects into two days.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mowmow » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:00 pm

jedamum wrote:Hi parents,
Any of your kids having back to back tuition on weekends
Or tuition before weekday school for afternoon session?
Is it taxing on the child?

Thanks.

My boys used to have English classes on Thursday mornings (8.15 - 10) followed by piano class (10 - 11) before they go to school, when they were in P1 and 2. Now, they have back to back Maths and Science classes ( with a 15 min interval in between) on Sat, followed by piano class from 2 - 3pm. I think it depends on the child, but for my 2 boys, they like this arrangement very much and are still very energetic after their classes. In fact, they stop napping since they were in N2. Oh, and they do not find the classes taxing at all, as a matter of fact, they enjoy them to the fullest!

mowmow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks mowmow for sharing.

I think my ds2 can handle the back to back lessons as he has high energy level. Now waiting for his math class schedule before can confirm the english class.

For ds1, he was prone to headache last year, so I dare not stretch him. Will still look at changing his english class to back to back sunday classes if ds2 classes clash with ds1 as dh feedback that we are spending too little weekends together when sending kids to different classes. :sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby 711mum » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi Jedamum,

Only you know what's best for your children :wink:

711mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:45 pm

711mum,
Not sure if I know my kids best, but sometimes I am a bit over protective. So want to see what is the norm outside and see if it is doable before we try out.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:25 pm

jedamum wrote:711mum,
Not sure if I know my kids best, but sometimes I am a bit over protective. So want to see what is the norm outside and see if it is doable before we try out.

If the chemistry with the teacher is good, it will probably be easier as they tend to look forward to the session. Also, it is more likely to work if sports lessons are in the evening after the tuition than the other way round.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support