Newbie seeks advises fm Parent on whr to buy Pri 1 Bks...

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Newbie seeks advises fm Parent on whr to buy Pri 1 Bks...

Postby anniedevilier » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi,

Wld appreciate if can advise whr to purchase Pri 1 sch text & exercise bks. :roll:

My elder son is gg to Pri 1 nxt yr. Things aren't settled....whr to buy books, uniforms, T-shirt, sch bus transportation, before n after sch care... ...

Should I take half-day to go Popular bk store or Pacific bk store or school bk store? Or online option? Is there anythings that i shld get fm the bk fair?

Thank you in advance to the parents' for the advise :)

anniedevilier
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Newbie seeks advises fm Parent on whr to buy Pri 1 Bks..

Postby tankee » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:17 pm

hi

which school?

typically the primary school will arrange for a briefing to parents of all new P1 students before the term start.

on the same day of the briefing, there will be booths to
- sell textbooks and stationary
- sell school uniform and PE attire
- discuss & book school bus

Usually cheaper to buy from popular or pacific if you are a member (member discount). But you will still need to get the school exercise books, report book, etc from the school. It is a question of conveniences versus saving a few dollars.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby janet88 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:57 pm

anniedevilier wrote:My elder son is gg to Pri 1 nxt yr. Things aren't settled....whr to buy books, uniforms, T-shirt, sch bus transportation, before n after sch care... ...

Should I take half-day to go Popular bk store or Pacific bk store or school bk store? Or online option? Is there anythings that i shld get fm the bk fair?

Since your son is going to P1, it would be better to get everything from school...since there are uniforms, exercise books, school files...this way, you don't have to run to 2 different places. Popular may not carry all the titles in the book list. I get daughter's books directly from her school..pre-order online (pacific).

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby anniedevilier » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:51 am

Thx u so much to tankee & janet_lee88 for sharing of great info.

Oooo...I didn't knw the sch be having booth as received orientation letter to go on 17/11 (sat) morning, without info on if there's any booth or sale of bks, sch uniform/PE attire, etc.
Seem its much better to get fm the sch itself aside to the discount fm popular or pacific.
But pardon my "sua-ku" as 1st time kid gg Pri 1 (Choa Chu Kang Pri), with so many parent n kid attending the orientation, will there be sufficient uniform/bks for order? Or, have to order and collect another day?
Truly appreciate all ur respond.

anniedevilier
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Funz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:52 am

You will be given the book list on the orientation day. But be prepared to have to queue to buy the books and unis on that day. Depending on the schools, you can order the books online and have them delivered or picked up at appointed dates. As for uniforms, the school will also provide you the supplier's address and contacts and you can go to their shop and buy them at your convenience.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:38 am

If possible, grab your spouse or another person to go with you. While one attends the briefing, the other go and beat the crowd, and grab the stuff first. Once the briefing is over, everywhere is long queue.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby janet88 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:54 am

tankee wrote:If possible, grab your spouse or another person to go with you. While one attends the briefing, the other go and beat the crowd, and grab the stuff first. Once the briefing is over, everywhere is long queue.

For Pacific Bookstore, parents are advised to buy/pay online...then collect the books at parents' convenience. There is no sale of books/uniforms on day of briefing. Best to grab spouse along to help buy uniforms while you collect and check the books. Save time.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby anniedevilier » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:23 pm

wow @ tankee, tat's a great tips....roger tat. Hubby be join tag along juz in case, shld there happen to have sale of bks/uniform or he can asst in all ur guidance as mentioned. Wonderful advises. Learn something new.

anniedevilier
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby BigDevil » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Have you checked out CCK Primary's website http://www.chuachukangpri.moe.edu.sg/ht ... plies.html ?

It lists all the suppliers there.

As for ordering the books online and picking them up on orientation day, you will end up lugging 2 huge boxes of books home. Not a good idea if you don't drive.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby anniedevilier » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi @ BigDevil...thx u so much :)
Perhaps will heed @tankee, @Janet_Lee88 & @ Funz to get the items fm sch, if possible. Seriously, I do not knw hw crowdy or bad the queue gg to be, but apparently, sounded quite 'jialat' fm the replies gathered here.

Yup, thx for advise, will be driving there n perhaps park at nearby carpark for dunno hw long...3hrs?

Have a great day to All Great Moms n Dads :)

anniedevilier
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support